Author Topic: Big Fish  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Big Fish
« on: January 5, 2004, 11:12 AM »

I have a small pet peeve with year end movies that are out only to get consindered for Academy Awards and then don't show up nationwide for weeks and weeks later.  

ANyway, this has been my second most looked forward to movie of 2003 ::) And it finally opens nationwide this weekend.  I have heard nothing but glowing reviews both on the boards and from what I have read.  I really love Tim Burton so I can't wait to see how this all turns out.  Anyone seen it yet...interested in going...Pearl Jam is on the Soundtrack...Ewan McGregor stars...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Big Fish
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2004, 11:45 AM »
My wife and I have been talking about going to see this as well, we have been looking forward to this since we first saw the trailers, looks like it might be pretty good.  Either that, or I could handle going to see ROTK again :P, but my wife doesn't feel like sitting in the theatre for another four hours I don't think :).

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2004, 01:16 PM »
...Pearl Jam is on the Soundtrack...

:-X
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2004, 01:20 PM »
...Pearl Jam is on the Soundtrack...

:-X

OK, how about this 8)

Golden Globe Nominated Pearl Jam is on the Soundtrack

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2004, 01:26 PM »
OK, how about this 8)

:-X :-X

(Actually, to contribute something worthwhile, I am planning to go see the movie this weekend with my dad, for some much-needed father/son bonding, which is apparently "the point" of the film.  

Afterward, we're probably going to cry, and then I'm going to ask him for a bunch of money.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2004, 08:29 PM »
i was able to go see one of those select screenings of this, since i live close to nyc. this movie was great. very enjoyable. definitely one of my favorite movies of 2003, right alongside kill bill vol. 1 (although a very very different kind of movie than kill bill).

SilverZ

« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2004, 09:35 PM »
OCB - It's playing down the street from me here in LA and I had a chance to check it out. It's a GREAT movie. If you like Tim Burton movies in a sorta Edward Scissorhands mode, it's perfect. It's really, really touching and a very human story while still feeling, uh, "Burton-esque". I loved it.

I agree that its completely irritating when they do limited releases, just so it counts for Oscar nominations as being within the year. It was even a pain knowing when it was opening here, since all the ads just said "Opening the Christmas Season" or something similarly vague.

J

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Saw this movie Sunday, it was excellent, i think it is my 1st 2004 good movie so far.!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Saw this movie Sunday, it was excellent, i think it is my 1st 2004 good movie so far.!
2003 :-* :P ::)

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2004, 02:35 AM »
OK, how about this 8)

:-X :-X

(Actually, to contribute something worthwhile, I am planning to go see the movie this weekend with my dad, for some much-needed father/son bonding, which is apparently "the point" of the film.  

Afterward, we're probably going to cry, and then I'm going to ask him for a bunch of money.)

Car keys, man. Follow the song.

(cue music)
And the cat's in the cradle...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 12:23 AM »
Just watched this (sorry...pregnant wife...had a kid blah blah blah)

I absolutely cannot say how moved I was by the whole thing...my cheeks are still wet with tears.  I'm thinking my dad would really dig this too, I've thought of all of the crap he's told me over the years...and thought about my grandpas and all the crap they used to tell me and I look at my own two boys.  Oh man there go the Waterworks again

I can now see why this movie got royally screwed Oscar night (not going to talk about how much more awesome the closing credits song is)

OK...off to blow in a tissue

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 12:26 AM »
To me, most of the movie is just okay--not horrible, not great.

But it's that ending that totally comes in and saves the day.

It's that whole "lump in the throat" thing.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 12:36 AM »
I hear you...the ending ties the whole damn thing together, sat sort of fidgety through the whole thing not really and then sort of really seeing where it was leading and whamo...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 12:40 AM »
Saw this a few months ago, and for the first time in a long time I welled up at a movie. I suppose it reminded me of my Grandfather passing way back in 2000, I really miss him.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 12:44 AM »
That's what sort of got me too Andrew, remembering my dad's dad who died when I was a Sophomore in College.  He would tell me about how he used to wrestle with Indians and how he saw a Grain Elevator explode or the time he managed to shoot 8 ducks with one shot.  I miss him too, then I started thinking about my own dad and how much I probably take him for granted...the whole thing about your stories that you tell become more than you and are your legacy and are what live on... :'(