Author Topic: Micro Collection  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Micro Collection
« on: January 9, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Although I still have a ways to go on my vintage loose figure collection, another area I have been interested in is the Micro Collections.  I personally never had any of these as a child, but had some friends that did, and thought they were kind of cool.  Do any of you have and/or collect these?  How hard are they to come by today?  I am sure some (if not all) can get pretty expensive.  Just curious if any of you collected these, or if you want to in the future.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Re: Micro Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2004, 05:06 PM »
The micros can be fun. There are enough out there that you can get a start on a collection pretty easily. Some are a tough ( expensive find)  like the tie bomber but they can be found. Carded examples are around and some can get scarce if you get into foreign carded ones. But all in all it is a nice extension.

I have a few. In the collection forum I have pics of my micro hand painted prototype, I think the thread is labeled prototypes here is a link

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=130
« Last Edit: January 9, 2004, 05:07 PM by Reconsgt »
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2004, 06:19 PM »
These are some of my all-time favorite collectibles Brian!  Even as a kid, I think I may have enjoyed these even more than the (vintage) figures themselves.  I picked up every Micro set way back when, including the VHTF Millenium Falcon and Snowspeeder.  I kept (still have) each and every diecast figure stored in their own individual plastic boxes lined with a styrofoam type padding to keep them from getting dinged/chipped as most of these metal figures have in people's collections over the years.  My dad got all the little boxes for free from his work, so that was cool!

I remember many a trek down to the local Toy City store in search of the newest Micro Collection set.  I SOOOooo wished this line had continued...   :'(  The ability for incredible Micro environments/playsets far surpassed what the 4" line had to offer.  I even remember writing several letters to Kenner back then, with ideas for future Micro playsets.  Apparently some of them were already in the planning/production process when the line was unfortunately shut down due to subpar sales.   :'(

There's some great pictures over at Gus' Vintage Archive site that show the several sets that didn't quite see the light of day, including the Death Star II Throne Room, Hoth Bacta Chamber, Dagobah, and Jabba's Palace and Dungeon...  But at least we got Hoth, Bespin and the original Death Star though, and those were all great!   8)

I really wish this line could be reinvented for the modern era, though judging by Galoob's Micro Machine and Action Fleet lines coming to an end, I highly doubt it's possible.  Love that miniature scale and the superbly authentic settings it provided.

I think most of them, aside for the Falcon and Speeder, can be had for a relatively affordable price, though I can't say that I've done or seen any pricing information on this line in quite a while.  I just know that those two vehicles are the only items that regularly go for a good deal higher amount on the secondary market, due to the more limited quantities that they were released in since they were the last two pieces available for that line.

I suppose the condition of the figures could be a consideration too, since most of the ones I've seen are pretty dinged up all these years later.  Might have to pay a slight premium for sets in better condition.  A highly recommended line of collectibles though, that's for sure!

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 02:30 PM »
There has also been a large selection of the micro protos on ebay as of late. prices were pretty reasonable on those as well.

I always liked the sets but never had many as a kid. I do get tempted to add a few more to the collection from time to time but I have been slow at doing that.

As far as sets go I think my fav was the Hoth sets.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 04:42 AM »
I don't have any of the sets but I have seen them & they look very nice. Maybe down the road, I will have to get the odd one. Not sure which one it will be. Guess it depends on the cost & what intrests me.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 05:55 PM »
r u talking about micro machines figures
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 10:59 PM »
Diecast. Came out 20 or so years ago.

Lots of info and pics at http://www.toysrgus.com/images-speci/micro/micro.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 10:59 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 12:07 PM »
I've thought seriously about jumping in the realm and I agree with Matt, these were more fun than the Vintage figures in some ways due to the awesome attachable playsets that they cranked out, I might just get the complete Bespin and Hoth Sets which are complete works of Toy Art!

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 01:54 PM »
i dont know if i want to know this, but do they make ewok stuff for this
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 07:39 PM »
I still have my entire Micro Collection from when I was a child, and there's no way I'll ever leave my hands.  I had so much fun playing with these when I was a kid, and like most people here I had more fun playing with them than I did with my standard figures.  The Hoth set was by far the coolest of them all...  I loved that Ion Cannon and those Hoth Turrets.

So what's everyone's favorite figure that was made in all of those sets?  The figure I liked the most didn't have much playability, but mine would have to be Han Solo in carbonite.  I thought it was a very well done figure.
dustrho

Offline Palitoy Hunter

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 12:14 PM »
Here is what i have from the micro collection range, i would say the hardest one i had trouble with to get one was the snowspeeder.

Bernie..
ALWAYS WANTING CARDED AT-AT DRIVERS - SNOWTROOPERS - TIE PILOTS & CLOUD CAR PILOTS.....

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 12:50 PM »
Very nice collection!  8)  Is the Micro Collection sign vinty?

Offline Palitoy Hunter

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 01:00 PM »
Very nice collection!  8)  Is the Micro Collection sign vinty?

yep, its an original concept logo...
ALWAYS WANTING CARDED AT-AT DRIVERS - SNOWTROOPERS - TIE PILOTS & CLOUD CAR PILOTS.....

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 01:14 PM »
Cool, ever thought about getting it matted & framed? It would look very nice hanging on the wall!  ;)

Offline Palitoy Hunter

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Cool, ever thought about getting it matted & framed? It would look very nice hanging on the wall!  ;)

i will do when i get round to it, only got it a few weeks ago from an american RS member,