Author Topic: Hall of Fame Wave  (Read 12196 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Hall of Fame Wave
« on: January 11, 2004, 12:59 AM »
Here

Chewbacca Mechanic
R2-D2 POTJ Version
C-3P0 From the MMC Set
Obi-Wan, Coruscant First AOTC Version
Anakin Skywalker Hangar Duel
Stormtrooper (NEW) CTC version (although hard to see the blast mark, might be the 4 Pack)
Yoda First AOTC Version
Darth Maul Theed Hangar Duel (MOTDS)
Princess Leia, Imperial Captive
Han Solo, Flight To Alderaan
Luke Skywalker ANH CTC Version

SilverZ

Re: Hall of Fame Wave
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 01:44 AM »

Why? Why? Why?

I knew these were coming, but seeing the pictures makes some of the choices even more obsurd. Certainly not any figures I'd nominate for a "Hall of Fame". Certianly maybe "Hall of Poor Distribution" for a few of them - it's nice to have MMC 3P0 circulating, and the Stormie too. But, really, Mechanic Chewie, and more of the Han, Leia, and Maul that are still clinging to TRU shelves? Bizarre.

J

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 06:53 AM »
Rehashes on new cards! Bah, I can do without.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 12:07 PM »
I am ashamed to say, I dont own any Storm troopers.

I will be picking up a few of those, but honestly, the others dont do anything for me.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Lots of Stormtroopers, and that about it, besides 3PO.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 12:25 PM »
They are all packed 1 per case though so good luck getting a lot :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 02:37 PM »
Really? What a bunch of BS.  Oh well. Guess I'll get one or two after all.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 03:07 PM »
I already have over 100 CommTech Stormtroopers so I will pass on those. I do want to grab a C-3P0.

Not a Hall of Fame Assortment but at least it is a way for Hasbro to keep main characters out there for the kids.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 04:54 PM »
The idea of this asortment makes sense, but maybe more around the time of the DVD, and with some different choices:

Obi Wan - Gets yours at your local KB right now.  May be wishful thinking, but peppering this wave with one or two new figs might have been smart, and this would have been an ideal time for Trophy Obi.

Anakin - KB Part 2.  Plus, he's coming with the glass.  

Chewbacca - Sigh.  The Saga one would have made more sense, or even the Anniversary one.

R2 - A good fig but the Holo Leia version was better and more desired.  A no brainer.

Vader - Good choice, but would have been another opportunity to do cancelled Cd-Rom Bespin Vader.

Luke - May be time for a new Tatooine Luke.  (Ducks)

Leia - CommTech, Hasbro.  CommTech.

Han - I guess the best version of this outfit.

Maul - Maul always sells, around here anyhow.

Yoda - Yoda always sells, too.

Stormtrooper - The best choice in the lot.

C-3PO - The second best.  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 11:19 PM »
There's some pretty shoddy choices in the HOF series it seems...  Namely that Obi-Wan from E2.  It wasn't even good the first time it was released, much less a second time around.

I'll take maybe one Darth Vader from the MOTDS set since I've not found a second one, and I'd take some stormtroopers of course since a simple customizing bit and they're a much improved figure.  I still would like a Super Articulated one though.

Beyond that, I'll skip all of them I guess.  I just hope these aren't mixed in so heavily that they become pegwarmers.  The initial re-releases of these like Han and Leia seem to get sold at some point...  The Maul and Vader moved relatively quickly actually.  Kept in low #'s they're not as big a problem as they could become.  

I feel bad for anyone wanting them for their collection though, like a carded completist.  Yikes...  :(  That would certainly suck methinks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 11:24 PM »
Here

Chewbacca Mechanic
R2-D2 POTJ Version
C-3P0 From the MMC Set
Anakin Skywalker Hangar Duel
Stormtrooper (NEW) CTC version (although hard to see the blast mark, might be the 4 Pack)
Yoda First AOTC Version
Darth Maul Theed Hangar Duel (MOTDS)
Princess Leia, Imperial Captive
Han Solo, Flight To Alderaan
Luke Skywalker ANH CTC Version

Oh, you just know we're getting this in Canada ::)  I can still find AOTC Obi on the pegs :-\, I found a commtech Han not that long ago and Chewie Mechanic cleared (finally) for $2 :(

I would probably snag the Maul, Vader and stormtrooper, if possible.  Sadly, this will probably sell well up here, but for the few I listed that will clog the pegs until 2006 :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 09:38 AM »
I agree with many of you, I'm not overly enthused about this "Hall of Fame" series.  Since they are supposed to be packed 1-per case, hopefully it won't cause a pegwarming problem.  I, like others, will definitely pick up the 3PO, since I never had this particular version.  I am a Han fan, but I already have several commtech Hans I picked up for $1.99 back in the day :).  I would have rather seen them stick in the POTJ Bespin Han if they were going to repack one, that's one of my favorite figures.  The Chewie isn't too bad, but the Cloud City one is a bit better.  I'll probably be passing on everything but the 3PO, and possibly a Stormtrooper if I see one.  I have the rest, in some cases two of them :).  Like many of you said, there could definitely have been some better choices for the Hall of Repacks wave :).

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 11:30 AM »
Hmmm....

I like the idea of re-releasing old figures.  That way new collectors and kids can pick up these characters without me having to buy my 180th version/resculpt of Tatooine Luke.  

Those who only collect loose can skip them since they already have them, and those who collect carded can still probably skip them as they have no "04-xx" number on them I notice.  Therefore, they are not really part of the official line?

And to all those complaining "bah, they just re-released character x last year" I don't get it.  EVERY character they re-released in 2003 (3PO, Han, Leia, Maul, Vader, Luke, and even Jango Fett) sold out in these parts and they did so rather quickly.  When it comes down to it, these figures will NOT pegwarm here if they are 1per case.

I doubt there are a lot of "Flight to Alderaan" Han pegwarmers around even thought you can still find that exact same character on CT card at some KBs/discount stores.  That alone should show you what new packaging can do.  I can guarantee you that a "Hangar Duel" Anakin on a new 2004 card will sell a LOT faster than the same figure on the beat-up/torn-up shelf-warmer card at KB.  

I would however buy the argument that Hangar Duel Anakin and Obi-Wan should have been left out because they are already gonna be re-released in another form (cup and/or TRU 4-pack) AT THE SAME TIME.  They would have been better off throwing Acklay Obi-Wan in the TRU 4-pack and Tusken-Killer Anakin with the cup if they planned on offering recarded versions at the same time IMHO.

Anyway, the only bad part is that they will be 1x per case for each of the 12 figures... not gonna be easy for those wanting a lot of those.

Just my random opinions,
Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 02:15 PM »
these are nice cards for these figures, i really like Stormtrooper, Yoda & Anakin.  But re-releasing Leia, and renaming the card is bull****, it think that was a waste pretty stupid on their part. But over all i am pretty excited about this wave.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 11:38 PM »
I'm not sure Anakin and Obi should have even been included.  Why not resissue the Anniversary OT Obi Wan and oh, let's say some Jawas instead?