Author Topic: Hall of Fame Wave  (Read 12198 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Hall of Fame Wave
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Hall of Fame, my ass.  Lame joke aside, Hall of Shame is more like it.  I don't buy any re-released figures unless they're army builders or if I don't have it yet.  The only ones I'll be buying are the stormtrooper and the C-3PO as I never got the MM one.  Everyone else will just collect dust on the shelves.

Hasbro should have done this right and released all new editions of these figures, going all out on accessories, articulation and the like.  Something truly worthy of a Hall of Fame.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 10:48 AM »
I never though I'd say it but I'd take resculpts any day of the week over these...come on, kids AND collectors would buy them and they would sell even better.  Sort of like the Flashback Figures (anyone remember what an uproar that was and the whole Mystery 8 figure...that was a definite "Remember to Drink Your Ovaltine" moment)

Not too excited about these...but I think warnings of pegwarming hell are overdoing it, things have been selling quite well, even the clone wars stuff moved better than I thought it would

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 10:53 AM »
Not too excited about these...but I think warnings of pegwarming hell are overdoing it, things have been selling quite well, even the clone wars stuff moved better than I thought it would

I agree Scott, especially if they are only packed 1 per case.  My shopping choices are somewhat limited where we live, but the Targets, TRU, and Wal-Marts we visit regularly are pretty much always cleared out.  The "Greatland" Target (where I've had the most luck), has sold through everything they have had Star Wars since they opened in October...including a TON of Clone Wars Anakins and Yodas (I was surprised).  I'm glad to see things selling, but it does make it tough to find figures now and then ;).  At least we know they're out there though, not like last year where they never even seemed to make it to the stores.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 06:33 PM »
I'll buy several Stormtroopers, and maybe a set of the Droids, but I will pass on the rest of them. Rereleasing some of these figures was a crappy idea!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 10:22 PM »
Last year's repacks sold very well here.  There are still a few Leia's at Wal Mart, but that's it.  

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Hall Of Fame
« Reply #20 on: February 4, 2004, 11:11 PM »
Today i found the whole entire Hall Of Fame wave at Wal-Mart, but a weird thing was the Anakin Skywalker (Hanger Duel), had a warning sticker on the front.  It was a little awkward, but this wave is out so go check your local Wally World's. They also had some new Trilogy LOTR figs too.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2004, 07:21 PM »
So here's a shot from EE of what we're dealing with...

So are the Luke, Leia, Han, and Maul all identical to the ones we just got several months ago?  Or did Hasbro get nasty and change their descriptions/titles on the inserts?  I see that the Vader insert picture is different than the one we just got with the Death Star Clash version not long ago...

With the exception of the Stormtrooper and MMC C-3PO, this whole wave really, really sucks - and is going to lay waste to our local retail pegs for quite some time.  Hopefully retailers don't order too many of these cases, or we'll be in deep Bantha poodoo...   :-\
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 07:23 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2004, 08:41 PM »
I don't think much of this wave either but my feeling is - as popular as the core characters still are - with the exception of Obi and Anakin, these will sell very well.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Suddenly, these "Hall of Fame" figures all looking ever worse than they did before...   :P

Looks like these are the real Hall of Fame figures!   8)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2004, 03:11 PM »
LOL.   ;D  Indeed.

The HOF series being out suddenly makes a little sense to me.  They announce the DVD and some folks out there go, 'Hey, SW! I liked that!'  Next time they go to the store they look for Vader or R2 or Luke and there he is.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2004, 04:35 PM »
What really sucks about this HOF wave now, is that it sounds like a bunch of these figures are going to get recarded for a THIRD time onto the OTC cards...   ::)  Why couldn't they have just waited 'til then, and skipped this HOF horsecrap nonsense?!

Don't answer that.  I already know the answer...   >:(

SilverZ

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2004, 07:37 PM »
And annoyingly, yes, the cardbacks are entirely new for Han, Leia, and Maul that were just re-re-re-released. They all show the other Hall of Lame figures on the back. They also aren't numbered.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2004, 07:49 PM »
These, unfortunately, are indeed pegwarming here now...  Or at least starting to at some Wal-Mart stores.  Targets are cleared completely almost, and TRU's get in dribs and drabs of figures, but WM's unfortunately decided to get BACK in the game at a bad time.

I bet there were 8 cases of these opened at one Wal-Mart, and while the "hot" figures of the case sold (i'm assuming mostly for completists or people who've heard the Stormie and Vader are in demand), the figures like Leia, Han, and Maul are lingering, as well as a couple others here and there.

Hopefully they'll clear out and I'll walk in and see a wall of Yavin wave, and leftover Jedi Luke's and R1's from the Tatooine wave.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2004, 10:11 AM »
I for one have been looking forward to seeing some of these. I want 7 of the 12 but can't seem to find any 'round these parts. Found everything else including the Yavin wave, but no HOF.

JesseJames, I'm not sure if you're blessed or cursed having stores that order more than one case at a time? Literally every store around me has been caught up in the "let's order one case at a time" trend for the last six months. On a positive note, and because I have a good idea when my area stores stock their Star Wars figures, I've been lucky enough to find everything except the HOF stuff so far. On the negative side however, the area stores are empty 6 of the 7 day a week. Like I said before, unless you know when to look, this trend sucks!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 01:53 PM »
And annoyingly, yes, the cardbacks are entirely new for Han, Leia, and Maul that were just re-re-re-released. They all show the other Hall of Lame figures on the back. They also aren't numbered.

So... just a side question.  I think that the re-release of the HoF figures on OTC cards will change the "most-carded" figure status...

Almost ALL of the red card figures made it to green cards, and then some of those even made it to FF cards, but most stopped there.  Now, we've got a few figures that have been carded FOUR times.  

Keep in mind this is the EXACT same figure (re-hashes don't count).

The current all-time champs???

Cantina Han:
CommTech 1999
Saga 2003
HoF 2004
OTC 2004

New Likeness Leia:
FF 1998
Saga 2003
HoF 2004
OTC 2004

Any others?

Has any one sculpt made it to FIVE different cards yet?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender