Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154966 times)

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Will you be watching the two-hour premiere of the new J.J. Abrams' prison island-themed show tonight at 8 EST (9 CST)?
It stars Sarah Jones ("Sons of Anarchy"), Jorge Garcia of "LOST" fame as well as Sam Neill ("Jurassic Park") and centers around 302 prisoners and guards who went missing in 1963 suddenly showing up in our time.
PhGeek.com will be liveblogging the premiere beginning at 7:45 p.m. at http://phgeek.blogspot.com/2012/01/alcatraz-liveblog-watch-with-us.html. Please feel free to drop by and join us.
If you want a primer before or are searching for answers afterward, you can check out the Alcatraz Podcast by PhGeek.com at http://alcatraz.podbean.com/. This week at www.PhGeek.com we even went so far as to try to predict the endgame of the show before the first episode even airs. Still time to get yours in.
Anyway, looking forward to tonight's premiere. I hope you check it out and take part in the conversation that Abrams' shows generally lead to. Enjoy!
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Geez, where's the thread for American Horror Story or Terra Nova?  ;)

JK, I am definitely in...outside of Alias I'm a fan of everything he's done. Lost pretty much closed the book on awesome TV. Hoping this new show is not as dense, have mostly stayed away from spoilers to this point.

Gotta love Hurley.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Jorge Garcia is great and we're so glad he's on this show. We've even gotten reaction from him on our podcast. You never know who could show up in the Liveblog tonight...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Wow, that was not terrible, but it was pretty weak. The show really suffers from sub-par writing and a lack of the LOST gravitas. I'm actually surprised it was not better than that. The whole thing just seemed very superficial, for lack of a better word.

I'm hoping the show finds its legs soon, I'm not really feeling it at this point.

Poor Parminder Nagra, perpetually typecast as the Indian doctor. Jorge holds his own but is unconvincing as an academic. Sam Neill is money as always.

Which brings us to the lead chick. (I guess Emilie de Ravin was busy?) Her character needs a little more depth, IMO, but there is no denying she has oodles of sex appeal. Kind of liking her.

FWIW, I hope there turns out to be more to the show than at first glance. I did catch that the Warden's name (Kelvin - another LOST nod) was the same name on the fish market during the last shooting...so maybe there are some clues that will help keep things interesting.

You'd think a task force that can afford to maintain a super-secret ultra high security prison in the middle of the woods could afford a strike team too, but yet it's the lead detective and her boss that run up to corner the guy on the roof? That's what I'm talking about with the writing.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11 PM »
Just FYI -- Kelvin is a J.J. Abrams grandpa nod. ;)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2012, 08:18 AM »
Anyone watch the "Toy Hunters" show on Travel Channel last Sunday? I thought the guy buying the rocket firing Fett for $17,000 and saying "my girlfriend is going to kill me" was hilarious.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Hey if he has $17k to blow on a Fett, she should just shut up and finish her shopping trip on Rodeo drive.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Hey if he has $17k to blow on a Fett, she should just shut up and finish her shopping trip on Rodeo drive.

That was what to me was so funny. If you have the money to spend $17K on a toy you must have enough money to where your girlfriend really can't say much about what you are spending your cash on.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2012, 09:52 AM »
I read online that the buyer was Punkass from Tapout clothing, if so, he can afford it!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58 AM »
I read online that the buyer was Punkass from Tapout clothing, if so, he can afford it!

He was wearing Tapout stuff so that makes sense.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09 AM »
More talk about it on the otheR site...

TOY HUNTERS Premiers on TRAVEL CHANNEL: SUNDAY NIGHT 11pm

We do not get the show up in Canada & the links posted to the Travel site are not working...  :(

Would really like to see Jordan from HollywoodHeroes on it, really nice guy!   8)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2012, 11:36 AM »
That kind of show would just make me mad. They will be spouting prices for things that are not the true street value. Hot Wheels scalpers will hear this and just raise their prices. Besides they start off with a guy named Punkass from Tapout. That just tells me this show will be a freak show. It seems the show would be better with the sound off.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:42 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2012, 08:11 AM »
I'm an episode away from giving up on Alcatraz.  I thought it was a cool premise, but the actors are just not hooking me in.  Comic Book Guy as the emotionally-crippled, mousey wimp is just aggravating.  I get that he's supposed to be understated, but it's coming across wooden.  And dull.  Almost repellant.  The blonde cop is suitably hot, but the sunshine and rainbows is grating.  And even Sam Neill seems like he's sleepwalking.  The freaks-of-the-week haven't been particularly interesting.  Setting up the behind-the-curtain guy as a super-villain (who just happens to be the blonde cop's grandfather) is lame.  And the brooding fallen war hero who's destined to join the team and become blonde cop's love interest is too typical.  They've spent enough episodes doing set-up... unless they hit me with something compelling next week, I'll probably be gone.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Kinda stoked to check out Kiefer's new show on Fox Wednesday - Touch.  Caught a few previews, and I know it's no 24, but hoping it's a decent show. 

Walking Dead comes back soonish right?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Kind of agree on Alcatraz, although I'm willing to give it the rest of this season to improve. Hurley's act is wearing thin, no doubt.

And someone remind me why they're NOT looking for the grandfather? They only care about SOME of the convicted inmates walking around? Not the ones who kill cops?  ::)

I hate getting distracted by poor writing, but it is becoming commonplace with this show.