Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154922 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #285 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12 AM »
I read about this yesterday as well.  I've watched the show since the beginning, but it has lost a little something since Steve Carell left.  We still watch it, and it is still funny, but I sort of thought they should have ended it when Michael left as well.  Oh well, I am glad they announced it, it is always nice to know when the last season is coming up.  It really sounds like they are moving forward with the Dwight spin-off "The Farm", as there has been some casting taking place for that as well from what I've seen.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36 AM »
I like "Toy Hunters", but

I think the "Collection Intervention" show was bad. The host's view on collecting, I think, is horrible.

I finally watched the first episode of "CI" last night and have to agree. It's a very poorly scripted, poorly conceived effort that had no depth or soul whatsoever. It's like, "hey, let's put these freaks on TV so we can all laugh at them and roll our collective eyes".

I was really hoping for something much more akin to Hoarders, which actually attempts to help people make real life-adjustments rather than brow-beating them into selling stuff off for quick cash.

The host of this show should be a psychologist, not an auctioneer. The woman that hosts now should just be brought in at the end to help handle the sales aspect and nothing else. There's no attempt to address how the people got to this point or how they can approach things in the future. It's all just about getting rid of the stuff.

And the subjects themselves? Ugh, where to start? They struck me as oddball, half-assed accumulators of swag, moreso than informed, astute collectors. The SW chick didn't even know what she had, and her collection was so random it couldn't possibly be complete in any one area. None of the vintage figs they showed of hers had any of their original weapons, and the modern Legacy/Clone Wars/etc stuff was just thrown together with no rhyme or reason. That's absurd.

The other couple just seemed staged to me. Just struck me as contrived somehow. Like, he has all this stuff he has been compiling for years, and just like that he dumps it all? With barely a wince? That seemed way too easy. They didn't even bother to explain why they were in debt. Was he in debt before? Do they both work? I'm supposed to believe she really never got curious and peeked in his Forbidden Garage of Mystery? Suuure.

Debating whether I want to watch any more of these...not what I was hoping for.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2012, 03:05 PM »
...but the auctioneer girl was cute. She gave lots of disapproving looks. It was like she was voting someone off the island.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 30, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I don't know if anyone caught Toy Hunter this week, but Jordan found a guy who had a double telescoping Luke Skywalker (and didn't know what he had), it was kind of cool.  Also had a guy with an amazing Spider-Man collection, which I really liked to see.

I caught Collection Intervention this week as well (via DVR), and they had a guy on there with 31,000 comic books.  He ended up trading in 7 or 8 longboxes of comics (with complete runs - about 2000 comics in total) for an Incredible Hulk #181 (first appearance of Wolverine).  Although I'm still not sure how staged this show might be, it is interesting to see everyone's collections.

I have noticed, watching both of these shows, it does make you look at your own collections/toys.  It seems like very little modern stuff is either (1) worth anything or (2) has any interest for people.  Granted, it is the focus of the show(s) - more on the vintage/worth stuff - but it is something to think about.  I, like most of us here I'm guessing, don't collect for value or seeking what we'd sell it for down the road...but I look at the stuff I've collected, and I don't know that I necessarily have any "holy grail" pieces like many of these people do.  I do enjoy what I have, don't get me wrong, but I can see some benefit to these people who sell off the more common or stuff that doesn't hold that nostalgia for them and put it towards really getting those pieces they prize.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Jordan is very knowledgeable about toys.  Reminds me of American Pickers though.  Oh I bought this for x and I'm going to make y on it.  Good for him?  I don't like his "so this is where you've been hiding everything" line for some reason, but it is nice to see other large collections and at least he doesn't put people down.

Breakdown Robot lady.  I don't like her.  Good for her that she used to work for Christies as an auctioneer.  Shame on her for making people feel bad about their collecting habits and telling people their stuff is or isn't valuable.

There's no way I'd let either of them in my house, but I suppose it's about time this stuff hit tv - staged or unstaged.  However it may be.

I've posted pictures of my collection (well mostly just the boxes) after I unloaded my storage unit last year on tfw in their intervention thread and so far I'm unrivaled.  Not sure if that's something to be happy or ashamed about though to be honest.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2012, 11:12 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the Intervention lady either.  Sure, she worked as an auctioneer for years, but I'm not sure how much of an "expert" she is on these people's collections and what they should keep/get rid of.  Plus, on most of these, it seems like the people have outlandish collections (lots and lots of stuff), and although in the end they sell a decent dollar amount (or sometimes a great dollar amount), they usually only get rid of a small portion of it.

Again, staged or unstaged, some of the people do seem to have maybe an unnatural attachment to "toys", and I can see getting to the root of that problem.  Also, I'm not sure what constitutes an "obsession" to the host/show, when they hassle these people about having too much stuff and it overtaking their life - crossing the line from collecting to obsessing, but then they hold an auction at Rancho Obi-Wan, which is a collection so large it has its own museum/warehouse dedicated to it ;).  Nothing against Steve Sansweet, his collection is amazing and he seems like a heck of a nice guy, but how is that not obsessing too?

Anyways, either way, I have fun watching the shows if for nothing else than to see a lot of cool stuff.  We do however, watch them as a family, and I think my wife gets too many ideas from it ;).

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2012, 01:36 PM »
First time I've ever seen the Toy Hunter was last night.  The format seems to be way too much of a direct ripoff from Pickers - right down to the tatooed help back at the headquarters...BUT...the toys were great.  The Huffy Speederbike pedal car was amazing.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 5, 2012, 07:36 PM »
I've caught each episode of this new Collection Intervention show as well, and while I've found it very entertaining, I wholeheartedly agree that their view on collecting is highly skewed and pretty offensive.  The cute auction lady pretty much functions solely based on value and age (vintage).  Most modern toys are deemed worthless and should be sold off, and anything vintage that holds little value needs to go too.  Obviously this is not the reason most of us collect, and I'm not even sure I've noticed anyone on any forums yapping about collecting things solely as investments.  Each collector on the show seems to reiterate this, as they've all told the lady they have no idea what their stuff is worth, nor do they particularly care (which seems to confound her).

Regardless, I do greatly enjoying seeing all the different collections.  The Star Wars house in episode 1 was a thing to behold, but withholding the fact that she works for Rancho Obi-Wan was obviously more than a bit deceptive.
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #293 on: September 5, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Anybody see any new series for 2012 that look worth watching?  I haven't looked too close, but so far nothing has really interested me.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 5, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Last year I did a big write-up on all of the new shows that were coming, what looked good, what probably was going to tank, etc.  This year, I haven't even been interested enough to look to see what new shows are coming let alone if any of them look good.

I have seen commercials for this new show, Revolution, that looks like it might be interesting.  I just have a feeling that it's going to be this season's "Terra Nova" or "Jericho," it'll be good and then, even if it makes it a full season, won't come back and leave us all with a cliffhanger or something.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 6, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Revolution looks like Hunger Games for TV...Pass.

I don't see anything new this year that is grabbing me. Just psyched for the new American Horror Story season. And Walking Dead of course.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #296 on: September 6, 2012, 08:36 AM »
I thought Revolution looked interesting, except that the trailer focuses so much on the family dynamic angle.  Last thing I want to watch is a bunch of relatives arguing about what to do next.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 6, 2012, 10:13 AM »
I was thinking I might catch a few episodes of Revolution and see if it's any good. 

One thing that has boggled my mind though in the commercials, is why are they using medieval weapons?  If power all of a sudden went out, non-electric powered equipment will still work.  I would think everyone and their dog that owns a firearm would be sure to get it out and have it on hand.

Maybe that will be explained early on.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #298 on: September 6, 2012, 10:28 AM »
If I remember correctly, there is a time gap.  The "now" of the show is taking place like 15-20 years after the "technology fail event" with flashbacks being used to fill in past and tease what happened to kill all technology.  So, if the show takes place 15-20 years after all technology failed, maybe the simple answer is that they used up all the bullets already? 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 6, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Yeah, I think I read there's a time gap, too.  But there was a teaser poster of a guy weilding a semi-automatic and I was thinking, "That thing's good until you've used up all the bullets you can find."  Of course, suspension of disbelief will be used when they raid that military base and are using 50mm in that 45.  ;)