Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154670 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23 AM »
There is an interesting article over at The A.V. Club listing the top 30 shows of the '00s.  They have write-ups on all the shows but here's the list if you don't want to jump over:

1: The Wire
2: The Sopranos
3: Arrested Development
4: Freaks and Geeks
5: Mad Men
6: Breaking Bad
7: The Office (UK)
8: Lost
9: Deadwood
10: The Shield
11: The Office (US)
12: Battlestar Galactica
13: 30 Rock
14: Futurama
15: Veronica Mars
16: Friday Night Lights
17: Firefly
18: How I Met Your Mother
19: Big Love
20: Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
21: Curb Your Enthusiasm
22: Six Feet Under
23: Undeclared
24: Dexter
25: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
26: The Venture Bros.
27: Flight of the Conchords
28: Eastbound & Down
29: Wonder Showzen
30: The West Wing

I can agree with quite a bit on that list even though I haven't seen several of the shows.  But it seems like they just listed every HBO series for the last decade...just because.  

I think Rescue Me should have been on that list somewhere.  I think Freeks and Geeks is a stretch...since it aired in 1999, which isn't an "00" year, but they used the summer 2000 showing of the final 3 episodes to sneak it on the list.  

I'm sure I could think of a couple other shows that might be contenders but I'm drawing a blank right now.  I think the fact that Veronica Mars made their list validates most of it.  That's one of the best series ever, not just of the last 10 years.

I read some of the comments and one show that was mentioned a lot was It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  Hmmm...  Maybe.  I love that show but I don't know if it cracks that top 30.  

And while Whedon does deserve the props for Buffy and Firefly (also Angel!), the fanboys calling for Dollhouse are a little off their rocker.  But please, feel free, anyone, tell me why I'm wrong in thinking that Dollhouse is completely overrated and nothing more than a mediocre morality play that didn't really deserve a second season.  Seriously, I want to know what I'm missing because that's kind of a terrible show.

E...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:25 AM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2009, 12:22 PM »
"Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!" was absolute garbage.  It was about the only reason I ever turned off [adult swim] back when I worked second shift.

It's great to see Venture Bros. listed.  That show is flat-out brilliant.  I'd put it second to Arrested Development when it comes to comedy writing.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2009, 07:36 PM »
That list sucks... looks like some guy randomly compiled a random list of shows that the Internet says are cool... I mean come on, Tim and Eric? Credibility lost.

Also is it just me or are all the good TV shows on cable now? I don't watch much TV anymore (mainly just South Park, It's always Sunny in Philadelphia, ESPN, and Adult Swim reruns) but I've seen episodes of Sons of Anarchy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter, and Eastbound and Down, (among other things) and all are pretty damn good. I know I'd much rather watch that than the 4 hours of boring Office and Office clones on NBC, and whatever the hell Fox still airs.

I do want to check out that new show Modern Family though, I hear it's good.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Regular broadcast still has some good shows.  Flashforward has been pretty decent.  For stuff that's been on more than one season, I love Chuck, Smallville still has some good storylines, NCIS, Lost.

Granted, some of the shows aren't necessarily going to win awards for drama, but that doesn't mean they don't have good stories or interesting characters.

I would agree though that cable has much more going for it right now.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2009, 09:41 AM »
I think V is betting better. The third episode kept building on the others, some genuine unexpected twists.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2009, 02:09 AM »
I agree the third V ep was the best so far, I think i will like this if it keeps going
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Okay, gonna give this a bump.

How many of you guys are watching Flash Forward?  I love the show, but read a little bit ago ABC isn't going to renew it.  It appears they said they'd renew one of the two sci-fi shows they have going so with this getting cut, it looks like V will get picked up.

I hate to see Flash Forward go as I've thought it was a great show.  I have no problems with V as that series has gotten really good the past few episodes.

Also I really enjoyed Southland until NBC dropped it, and then obviously thrilled that TNT picked it up.  It appears TNT ordered 10 new episodes to start airing in January 2011.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2010, 05:55 PM »
I've got such a limited amount of Tv time that I've dropped FlashForward for V. FlashForward stories just wern't any fun to watch. My number one favorite show right now is Fringe with Doctor Who coming in a close second.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Yeah, FlashForward officially got the ax this weekend.  V did get picked up for another season.

I liked FlashForward and thought it was an interesting concept.  Apparently nobody else did, though. Its ratings were terrible after it came back from the extended break.

V has picked up.  I was indifferent to it for the first several episodes but after the break it's been getting better.  I haven't been watching Fringe but think I probably should start. 

E...

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2010, 07:33 AM »
E, I pretty much thought the same way as you on V and FF.

One thing I think networks do that ultimately can kill a show is put them on an extended break and then hope for good ratings.  I think with V they managed to accelerate the story right before the break and it really took off when it came back.  FF had a developing story each episode and there was really no need to accelerate it.  Kills me to see it go as I really was into it.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2010, 09:18 AM »
I will miss FlashForward as well.  With Lost ending, I was hoping that I could come close (but not quite) to replacing it with the V/FlashForward combination.  Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, and neither show is even close to Lost by itself.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Flashfrorward was getting good shame but then it happens to all shows

V well that has been getting better as it went along too, being an old fan of the original show I didnt think it would cut it, but it has surprised me.
I'm guessing ep12 was the season ender though. couple of little surprises in there to be sure.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2010, 11:00 AM »
SO happy V is coming back...there are plenty of issues with that show but it has a lot of promise and is an easy way to kill an hour. Kind of the opposite of FlashForward, where every episode feels like an agonizing three hour prison sentence.

I mean, I like FF, but it's sort of a love/hate relationship. It's pretty inconsistent...the problem with having a show with multiple plotlines unfolding simultaneously is that some of them are inherently going to be more interesting  and so the pacing becomes very uneven over the course of a season. (see: Heroes)

I think FF would have been much better off focusing strictly on the uber-arc and eliminating all the worthless tangents with Cancer doctor, the whore wife, etc. That crap just dragged the show down terribly.

Overall though, the show was just not very enjoyable. I wanted to like it, but it always felt like more of an obligation than a treat to watch. The timeslot sucks too...that should have aired at 9pm or 10pm at least.

On the plus side, at least Baltar got another paying acting gig for awhile.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2010, 05:59 PM »
There is an interesting article over at The A.V. Club listing the top 30 shows of the '00s.  They have write-ups on all the shows but here's the list if you don't want to jump over:

1: The Wire
2: The Sopranos
3: Arrested Development
6: Breaking Bad
12: Battlestar Galactica
14: Futurama
17: Firefly
24: Dexter

from E's list the above are shows I have watched and loved.  There were plenty of other shows on that list that I intend to watch - but I will recommend the above shows to any adult.  Hands down The Wire and Sopranos are two of my favorite shows ever - The Wire possibly being best show ever.  I also just finished Breaking Bad season 2 and I am really enjoying that.  BSG I liked seasons 1 and 2 a lot  - the rest was kinda down hill.  Firefly turned out to be excellent as it got closer to its end - sadly.  Dexter is also pretty darn fun to watch too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:03 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2011, 02:06 PM »
With the help of Netflix and a great deal with our cable provider on HBO and Showtime, I have now gotten caught up and/or addicted to True Blood, Big Love, Dexter and the Big C.  Caught the premiere of Shamless last week and this week's episode lived up to expectations too - it is awesome and irreverent and totally shameless.  Lurve it!
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(