Author Topic: Official Television Thread  (Read 154975 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Official Television Thread
« Reply #525 on: June 13, 2018, 01:00 AM »
I really enjoyed season 2 of Legion. Different than season one but still great. A couple episodes spun their wheels getting to the conclusion but were still fun.

The finale was amazing. How fun should season 3 be? Can't wait!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 14, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I really enjoyed season 2 of Legion. Different than season one but still great. A couple episodes spun their wheels getting to the conclusion but were still fun.

The finale was amazing. How fun should season 3 be? Can't wait!

I missed last week's and just caught up last night, still have to watch the finale. I do hope it is good. I have been growing steadily more disappointed as this season wore on. Agree there were at least 2 full episodes of wheel spinning that added little to the overall story. They really should stick with 8 eps per year, IMHO.

Still, it's about the only thing I watch on TV anymore, always a feast for the eyes.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #527 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Season 1 was simply brilliant.  I thought the finale of season 2 was fantastic, but there were some lulls during the season.  It's really mind-bending stuff.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 15, 2018, 09:14 AM »
I think that's a good assessment Bill. Overall I still think it was top notch TV.

And I think you're right McMetal if they had cut the correct episodes to streamline the story. I'd prefer they just used the extra episodes in a better way though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:15 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 19, 2018, 02:59 PM »
I need to go back and watch Legion.  I haven't checked if its available on a streaming service anywhere yet.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 19, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I need to go back and watch Legion.  I haven't checked if its available on a streaming service anywhere yet.

Hulu has it I know.

I finally watched the Finale, didn't like it, mostly for the same reasons I didn't like the season overall. Didn't care for the whole process of tearing down everything they built up over Season One. Not surprising in retrospect though as I recall in interviews with the showrunner how he was talking about never having had to do a second season of anything with the same cast and storylines. (Fargo pretty much reinvents itself every year)

I think may wait and read how the next season turns out before deciding whether to keep watching.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 19, 2018, 04:54 PM »
I'll be as cryptic as I can as this is a generic television thread. I love they had the balls to go the route they did. And if my understanding of the comic character is correct they'll reverse course again.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 20, 2018, 09:38 AM »
I've been checking out this docu-series on Showtime called The 4th Estate.  It's about the New York Times and their coverage of the first year of the Trump administration.  And it's a remarkable look at how top tier newspapers are functioning in the country today.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 20, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I've been checking out this docu-series on Showtime called The 4th Estate.  It's about the New York Times and their coverage of the first year of the Trump administration.  And it's a remarkable look at how top tier newspapers are functioning in the country today.

Maybe my questions will drive this in to the Sarlacc pit, but just curious as to how objective it is.  Does it get in to the inherent biases and axes to grind that different publications bring to their reporting of the news?  I'd be interested in watching an objective discussion on the agenda driven and right vs. left bias in reporting that we seem to have today.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 20, 2018, 11:05 AM »
It follows the reporters and editors of the NY Times through their process.  The Trump White House is a huge component of their work.  But they also cover significant stories outside of that:  the impact of policy shifts from the administration (both positive and negative) throughout the country, Americans' perception of Washington and the media, the sexual harassment claims against people like Bill O'Reilly and Harvey Weinstein, along with the violence in Charlottesville, VA. 

Additionally, it deals with some of the BUSINESS of the Times:  an earnings conference call, shifts from print to online content, the immediacy of deadlines, as well as a walkout of a tremendous number of newspaper guild members because of restructuring at the Times.  You also get a sense of the toll that the work takes on these journalists:  extremely long work hours, the toll it takes on their families, or their personal isolation because the work is so demanding.

Watching Times reporters asking questions of their sources and interview subjects, it becomes very clear that these journalists take the work incredibly seriously.  And they choose their words VERY carefully.  They ask questions VERY carefully.  It addressed how the Times works to keep their own house in order:  harassment charges, social media policy, etc.  It also shows how some political figures who routinely like to use the media as a punching bag are also incredibly chummy with reporters.  Watch Times political reporter Jeremy Peters interact with Steve Bannon and their interactions.  It's enlightening.

As for anything beyond that?  The audience is left to make that judgement for themselves.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:45 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 24, 2018, 01:16 AM »
Anyone else out there watch all of 12 Monkeys TV series? I have the 2 part series finale left but this show was awesome. I'm sad it doesn't seem like many people watched it

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #536 on: July 24, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Anyone else out there watch all of 12 Monkeys TV series? I have the 2 part series finale left but this show was awesome. I'm sad it doesn't seem like many people watched it

If the Sy Fy channel wasn't so openly hostile to Science Fiction (see what happened with The Expanse), I'd probably watch more often.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 10, 2019, 02:43 PM »
I hope those who have watched "Legion" are watching season 3 now. Very good three episodes so far. The Professor X episode this week was excellent. I don't know X-men lore nor much of his other than reading a little because of Legion but loved how they played it into David becoming who he is.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 10, 2019, 05:00 PM »
I hope those who have watched "Legion" are watching season 3 now. Very good three episodes so far. The Professor X episode this week was excellent. I don't know X-men lore nor much of his other than reading a little because of Legion but loved how they played it into David becoming who he is.

Do me a favor and PM me if/when they kill the Shadow King once and for all. I swore i'd never watch it again unless I got confirmation that would happen. I was so p*ssed after Season Two...

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 10, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Will do. That's funny though. I couldn't be more on the other side of the fence than you. I loved how season 2 ended.