Author Topic: How's Star Wars Selling in Your Area?  (Read 25753 times)

Offline JediMateo

• Youngling
  • Use the Fork, Luke, the Fork!
    • View Profile
Re: How's Star Wars Selling in Your Area?
« Reply #30 on: March 9, 2004, 02:49 PM »
All of our stores have 2-3 pegs, except TRU, which is awesome. 10 pegs of Jabbas, Hoth and Saga stuff, 4 Pegs of POTJ, 3 Pegs of Unleashed, and a bunch of the scene sets and vehicles

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: March 9, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Pittsburgh is hitting a slight stall in supply here...

Repacks have clogged the pegs at many Wal-Mart stores, who for a time were the only stores receiving new product.  

Our Target stores are almost all bone dry, or damn close to it...  Usually a repack figure or two hangs around, sometimes as many as a half dozen of them, but not a ton of stuff.  

Toys R Us, who often still have 2002 product, have gotten in some Hoth wave figures...  I'm stocking up on R-3PO's for my Silver Clone anyway...  Maybe a couple Riekean's for the screen.  Beyond that though, TRU is slowly backing up (or already backed up) with Hoth Troopers, Bail Organas, Dignitaries, etc...

The scant clone Wars figure remains at a WM here and there, but those have moved well.  That's surprising, and I hope it leads into more EU figures.  That line moved MUCH better than SOTE ever did...  It moved better than the Saga line even at this point.

Yavin wave is rarely seen, and I'm hoping to catch multiples of every figure in the wave...  Beyond that, there's remnants of the Tatooine Wave, rarely ever see the Jabba's Palace wave (though Bar2 is sitting around some), and the Hoth wave are pegwarmers.

The McQuarrie Trooper's nowhere to be found, nor is the Emperor figure from Saga.  :(  

12" figures are non-existant really...  Unleashed come and go it seems, and are the only steadily moving product.  

It's not terrible yet, but there's a backup of things coming.  Target seems the next likely store to get in product, and TRU next with their Clone Trooper sale...  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 9, 2004, 07:40 PM »
The only Target in the Upper Peninsula has 5 empty pegs of Star Wars Saga toys and about 4 FULL pegs of clone wars, regular wave one.
That's it.  It's been that way for four weeks now.

My local Walmart is under construction and so the store is a nightmare.  The grocery portion should be done by April and, according to the toy department leader/manager/lady-in-charge, she has lots of Star Wars cases on back order and expects them to arrive in time for the "grand opening", if not sooner.  She did say that because they sell so quick, she will NOT wait to put them out and anytime I want, I can ask them to scan the tag and if they are in, she will go get them.  I almost ciried, it was one of the nicest ladies I have ever met (and she did say she is now in charge of the toy section and intends on "making the customer happy"  :) )

Shopko has the local Rappertunie wave for $7.69...lucky for me I got them when Walmart had them last month at three bucks cheaper :P.

Kmart-hahahahahahaha-toys?? oh that's a good one!!!

All-in-all, it sells well when it hits, it just seems to come in waves four-to-six weeks at a time.

edit-can't spell :-[

« Last Edit: March 9, 2004, 07:43 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2004, 01:54 PM »
Well here in Indy Toys-R-Us has the Han Hoth Wave along with the Barris, Padawans, Aayla, ect wave. Other than that Wal-Mart , Target, K-Marts = Nothing.

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2004, 02:40 PM »
I really hope that everyone's luck turns around soon, but I'm glad to hear that this area isn't the only one in a "dry spell".  I haven't seen anything new in quite some time (with the exception of animated Clone Wars stuff, there seems to be plenty of that...other than Clones).  Otherwise, no "regular" basic figures (or Ultra for that matter) to be spoken of.  I have seen a fair amount of the Bail Organa wave at TRU, but otherwise it has been basically nothing since I found the Tatooine and Hoth Waves towards the beginning of February.  But, I guess things started early this year...just anxious to find me a Jabba and Lando Skiff.....and all the rest too I guess :)  Every time I hear of another wave being sighted, I feel a little more behind.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2004, 03:07 PM »
I've been fortunate and have everything I want from what has come out this year. That is cause I can hunt at abnormal times and I have a friend who we look out for each other.
So items are there, but you have to be at the store at opening if you want to be able to claim them or early in the a.m. at Wally.  
Problem is the volume of figures. Target's in Utah are somewhat useless, though they did briefly get the Yavin wave in.  
Walmart has been good on the Ultra's, and were good on the Hoth wave but that is it.  
TRU, well there so called SPECIAL in Feb. was a joke.  No new figures the whole month (but TRU ROCKS with Walmart right now for LOTR figures!).
I think this is like 2003, small case assortments reach retail but only early birds are getting them.  I think it will remain that way until August when the stores will load up again like in 2003 in time for the DVD release.  From August to Decemeber things will be good, and then the real drought hits from late December to April when the new Ep. III figures are sold. Hope I am wrong!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Star Wars sure as hell ain't sellin' in my area, 'cause there is no Star Wars stuff in my area.  AT ALL.  L.A. is as dry as a bone, going on 3 months now.  Never seen anything like this drought in the 9 years of the modern line.  Aggravating, I tell ya'.

Targets = Animated figures up the ying yang, and a couple BK cup sets here and there.  Haven't been ANY Saga figures since early January, not even old stuff.

WMs = A couple Ultra Jabbas and Bubos.  Nuthin' else.

TRUs = Bail, Dignitary, Lott Dod.  Nuthin' else.

K-Mart = Zam Wessell.

KBs = 4/23/02 Saga stuff.

And I'm talking multiple stores for each of those chains there.  I hit up to 10 Targets, and I'm almost convinced that they've pretty much dropped the Saga line altogether.  SoCal is usually the land o'plenty when it comes to SW goodies, and not only that, but we usually get everything first.  That hasn't been the case in 2004 though.  Hopefully this first quarter of the year has just been some strange kind of anomoly, and we'll be returning to business as usual in the very near future, 'cause this is getting damned BORING!   >:(

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2004, 01:56 PM »
Toys "R" Us just got the Hoth wave last week. Yippee.

Target has the reissues of Anakin, Luke, and the rest. Nothing new. Clone Wars figures are finally not moving.

KMart hasn't gotten anything new since last Fall.

Kay-Bee is getting new Toy Biz product. Maybe Hasbro will follow suit and start shipping to this troubled retailer?

Wal-Mart just gave up and took down the four empty pegs altogether. Nothing "Star Wars" there but three lightsabres. NOW I'm getting worried.
Post sober.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2004, 02:13 PM »
Wal-Mart just gave up and took down the four empty pegs altogether. Nothing "Star Wars" there but three lightsabres. NOW I'm getting worried.

This actually has me a little worried as well.  The Wal-Mart nearest us only has pegs for basic figures (and lightsabers), and only has old Younglings/Outlander Bar waves (no pegs for Ultra).  The Wal-mart that my brother stops in on and checks for me has recently taken down their Star Wars section as well (and this is a Super Wal-Mart, that has always had a pretty good selection of Star Wars stuff).  Maybe it is just resetting stuff, but it is kind of worrysome at the moment.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2004, 12:54 AM »
The only places for Ultra here are at TRU, K-Mart, and Target. They seldom stock them.

Target is clogged with Ackh Med and Dignitaries, not to mention both waves of animated CW.

TRU manages to squeeze in a new case every few weeks, but that case typically is the HOF.

One local Wal-Mart has exactly TWO figures on the pegs- Ackh Med and the 2nd Dignitary. Makes me sick.
The other one I rarely hit, because it has 'just enough' figures on the pegs to not put anything new.

OK, rant time. I check the Look What I Found! section at RS daily, and when I open the Iowa thread, I see everyone and their brother scoring the newest waves left and right. We here in Waterloo get shafted and I'm f---ing tired of it.

There, rant over.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2004, 03:24 AM »
Right now in my neck of the woods in Chicagoland it's quite a bleak situation, here's a rundown of stores that I've seen in the last 2 weeks or so...

Target #1: 6 empty pegs for Saga figs, 2 full of Hoth Han recard wave, 6 full pegs of Clone Wars toon figs. 2 empty pegs for Ultra figs, a 3rd with a couple of Wampas and a Jabba, 2 pegs full of the inexpensive Saga lightsabers. The shelves have about a dozen CW vehicles still at full price and the same amount of CW lightsabers. There's a price sticker for the Saga Cups, but alas they are not in stock.

Target #2: 8 empty pegs for Saga figs, 6 full pegs of Clone Wars toon figs. 3 empty pegs for Ultra figs, a smatteringf of the inexpensive Saga lightsabers. The shelves have a handful of CW lightsabers and in the clearance section Screen Scenes for $13.98

Target #3: 8 empty pegs for Saga figs, 6 full pegs of Clone Wars toon figs. 3 empty pegs for Ultra figs, 2 pegs full of the inexpensive Saga lightsabers. The shelves have about a dozen CW vehicles still at full price and the same amount of CW lightsabers

See a pattern here?  :'(

Wal-Mart: 8 pegs for Saga figs, only fig on the pegs is a Zam Wessell from 02. A couple of pegs for Ultras, nothing there. And about 2 million CW lightsabers. I did find in the clearance section some old POTJ figs for $3 but they weren't worth buying, like I need another Fode&Beed or Padme in Black gown. Someone did, cause the next time I looked they were all gone.

TRU #1: 16 pegs full of Saga Imp Dig #2 and Ack-Mehd Beqs and CW Anakins/Yodas. Several pegs for Ultra figs full of Wampas and Rieekans. Tons of CW Gunships and other vehicles, Jedi 4packs, Screen Scenes and 12" figs. Nothing exciting to me.

TRU #2: 8 pegs for figs, all they had were 5 CW Saesee Tiins, no Clonetroopers in sight. Was told they had emptied out their backroom inventory and that was all that was left. Repeat as above for non-figure related items.

Osco #1: 1 figure peg: 2 CW Yodas and an R-3PO

Osco #2: 1 figure peg: 2 Saga Hoth Troopers, R-3PO, Ack-Mehd, Imp Dig #2

Osco #3: Repeat as #2 minus one Hoth Trooper.

It's a huge drought apparently here, if stores do get figures in its one case at a time and they're likely gone within minutes. It's getting to be quite depressing around here, it's like last year at this time, except this time there's figures I actually want. But who's to blame? Hasbro for pimping Star Wars as a huge seller and then flooding the markets during movie years and thus scaring off the retailers in non-movie years. Or is it the retailers for not seeing a demand now for these items and thus ordering more?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2004, 12:44 PM »
The thing I don't get is it's a famine for four months of the year at this time of year, and around June/July until December it's a feast. Maybe it's a cooling off period, but if that's true, why bring out so much new product now? Gah, my head hurts.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2004, 10:30 PM »
Ive noticed something strange at my Target... When I go there they only have 2 or three figgures, but it's always different figures than last time. One time I went there and saw 2 dignitaries, next time I go its a Bail Organa and soeone else.  Maybe I'm missing the shipments when they're new? Maybe Target is stocking figures one at a time? What is going on I hate you Target! >:( >:( >:(

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2004, 02:04 PM »
I have noticed that my Target has not had anything new since, the Bail Organa wave.  All they have now are the animated series figures, and they are warming those pegs very quickly!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline buffet1fan

• Youngling
  • son of a !!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2004, 02:19 PM »
I've got to say Knoxville, TN has had a boom in star wars lately. In the last week i have scored the jabba and yavin wave. If i would have know the dry spells going around i would have picked up some extras to trade or sale. TN usually the last to get anything. I'll keep a look out if anybody needs some.