Author Topic: Places You'd Never Move To  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Places You'd Never Move To
« on: January 22, 2004, 04:00 PM »
As you may have read I was recently in Houston, TX and I can say without any doubt in my mind that I would never move there...even for a million dollars.  To top it off it wasn't the summer where the heat and humidity where turned on a full blast...

Feel free to list Minnesota...high taxes, cold weather, snow, crappy football team etc etc

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Places You'd Never Move To
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 04:38 PM »
As you may have read I was recently in Houston, TX and I can say without any doubt in my mind that I would never move there...even for a million dollars.  To top it off it wasn't the summer where the heat and humidity where turned on a full blast...

Feel free to list Minnesota...high taxes, cold weather, snow, crappy football team etc etc

Some one is bound to be offended here.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 04:39 PM »
Oh I'm sure so...any Houstonians care to defend their "great" City, forgot to add the horrible traffic, the run down slums, the air pollution
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 04:40 PM by OCB »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Oh I'm sure so...any Houstonians care to defend their "great" City, forgot to add the horrible traffic, the run down slums, the air pollution

*cough* I used to live there. *cough*

Which may explain this horrible cough I have.  ;)

Kevin

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Back down to California. I lived my first 17 years down there, and  My sisters still live there, so I visit a lot. It is the proverbial "Nice place to visit".

However, the people in the Northwest are much more laid back, there's a LOT less crime than there was in the Bay Area down there, and somehow...it just seems people are a bit nicer up here.

However...I do miss the weather, and I miss the way people know how to drive on the freeways down there. I definitely enjoy visiting.
Got Clones?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 05:36 PM »
I wouldn't say NEVER exactly, but there's a lot of places I'd not want to move to, and hopefully will avoid.

Oddly enough, I want to stay here...  I like to travel but always want to be back in Pittsburgh.  Beyond our financial trouble, it's a nice mid-sized city...  It's clean...  It was voted the 2nd most beautiful place in the U.S. last year...  It's topography is unique...  Weather gives you the full gambit so it's not always the same (or too much one or the other)...  It has grown a lot in the last few years, and is expected to grow even more...  

I go anywhere flat, and I'm always just bored to death there.  I drove to Chicago to visit a friend there, and the drive was possibly the worst I'd ever done in my life.  Nothing but a flat barren land once you got beyond the hills of Western PA, all the way into Illinois.  

Not my cup of tea...  And then the other cities in flat areas are mapped out in squares, and seem to be very structured...  In Pittsburgh it's based on a triangle and 3 rivers intersecting in the triangle shape...  Growing up here's made me accustomed to the way of life here, and I just don't find it interesting anywhere else.

Plus, cost of living isn't attrocious, commutes are negligible compared to other cities, crime's not terrible (not great either, but could be worse), I always find things to do...  It's just fun for me here, and I dislike the thought of having to possibly move at some point so I'll fight it as much as I can.

Everywhere else is fun to visit to me, but not anywhere I'd look forward to actually living in.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 05:58 PM »
To any city bigger than Indianapolis. I detest big cities with a firey passion.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 09:31 PM by BigDumbWookiee »
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 08:28 PM »
I prefer to live below the Glacier Line.
Post sober.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 10:10 PM »
Canada.

No offence to our neighbors to the north, but I like the good old U S of A, you know? Kind of a deep rooted sense of home.

Now if Hillary Clinton gets into office on the other hand, I may temporarily be up there. ;)

Kevin

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 10:37 PM »
No offense taken, Kevin.  though I may hold it against you on principle ;)

I expect if you came to Winnipeg today (or worse, yesterday) this place would have killed most of you (actually, if you weren't dressed for it, it most likely would have).  Unlike lots of places that lay claim to be flat, this is the flattest place on earth.  We live in the bottom of glacial Lake Agassiz and for about 150 miles from east to west, it is as flat as it can get.  Jesse should come on up and visit me just to get a real idea of what flat is.  And cold.  I know lots of folks out east get real cold, wet cold and damp heavy snow, but man, it snows here October 31st and goes away in April.  And cold, damn cold.  

But, you guys who think you live in the US in low crime areas should come here.  You have no real idea what low crime actually is.  Not trying to be offensive, just a factual observation.  Crimes involving weapons are major news here, not daily occurrences.  Health care is ok (free being a saving grace) more notably for those that couldn't afford anything but.  For my wife and I, health insurance would not be a problem.  

I'm with Adam though.  Huge cities do nothing for me.  I think, based on past experience, I could live in a place like Minneapolis, but not something like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, LA or any other larger US city.  I've been to a lot of places in the US but none (other than the biased world of Hawaii) has left me getting on the plane saying I would love to live there.  

Oddly, and again, no offense intended, every time I go south beyond Fargo, I'm left thinking environmentalists have a point about urban sprawl, pollution, etc.  I just don't see that up here.  San Diego rocked, but man, could you pave just a little less land please?

Cool topic Scott, bound to raise a few eyebrows.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 09:04 AM »
After being in the military and moving around our nation I can honsetly say there is alot of place I would never ever want to live.  Most are the really large cities.  I am not saying Green Bay is perfect but I like the size of it.  Stores are good enough I can get most of what I want. Crime is fairly low, the cold sucks like the -40f we had yesterday.
 In general I wouldn't go to far south or north for the climatic reasons.  I like small town USA so most places other that those would be on my list.

Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 10:33 AM »
I forgot to mention the sprawl in Houston too, it seems like they just exploded and kept going further and further out and that what is left at the core of the city is an absolutely nightmare...

One place I don't think I would have minded living was upstate New York, beautiful place that was

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 01:04 PM »
I cant stand living in a small town. Its kind of creepy in the winter, and when ever you do do somthing, its in the summer, and the cops assume your a criminal and follow you home. Plus the fact that everyone knows everybody.

Kevin

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2004, 10:33 AM »
OCB, you forgot to list the huge obesity problem Houston has. Although they've been bumped down to #2 on the list of America's fattest cities (Beaten by Detroit).

I wouldn't want to live in California. I've visited it twice and loved it both times, but I wouldn't stay there with all of the wildfires and earthquakes.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004, 10:52 AM »
OCB, I live about 65 miles north of Houston......so I know what you mean about pollution,traffic and etc.  STILL, I'd rather live where I'm at......this is my home....and I love it. I moved to Pueblo,Colorado for nearly 3 years........I loved the scenery...but the cost of living is high.......and the people were rude in my opinion. I visited Denver on several occasions.....and I'd take Houston over Denver ANY day of the week.

Places I'd never move to?.......hmmm.... Kalifornia perhaps?  ;) :P
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders