Author Topic: Vintage/Retro Action Figures  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Vintage/Retro Action Figures
« on: January 27, 2004, 11:17 AM »
I thought that this would be an appropriate addition here.

A lot of us were kids when vintage was new. So, let's share what some of our favorites were, some we'd like to see rereleased and a wish list of old school action figures we'd like to own again.

Tops on my list is Evel Knievel. The wire frame in soft rubber figure was a favorite toy. His patriotic duds and helmet were and still are classic American. Then there's the wind-up momentum ramp that all his cool vehicles would be sent into oblivion from. What happened to the wind-up and release technology. It worked well and there is still no substitute. Wasn't Team America propelled by the same wind-up and release ramp?

I had Evel's regular stunt cycle and the awesome canyon jumping dragster with parachute. I can't tell you how many hours of pure joy I had with these toys. Always thinking of new stunts and trials to put Evel Knievel through. The vehicles were durable as hell too. I didn't give them up because I destroyed them. I think they just kind of disappeared or faded away (mom tossed them!).

Stretch Arm Strong is another great one (in the nostalgia way, the toy was pretty lame in retrospect). I always tried to recreate the commercial with the green monster where the monster is stretched out of the sand cave and then goes back in when let go of. Thought that was so cool! The plastic hardened on all of my Stretch-Arm strong figures and I had friends that performed operations to see what made them tick. The toxic jelly inside the figure was the secret to the stretching ability...

Another great action figure line that I really think they should look into rereleasing is the Six Million Dollar Man figures. So great! The chip in Steve Austin's arm under the rubber sleeve of skin was cutting edge. The bionic eye you could look through was good stuff too. The best was Many Faces. The robot that could take on the identity of all the action figures. Make him Oscar and have him hit Steve when he least expects it. Great accessories with that figure too. The line was cut short of it's possibilities, but is still a favorite childhood toy.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage/Retro Action Figures
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Evel Knievel and THE ORIGINAL Steve Austin were both awesome toys. I played the hell out of those and someday I might try to get a set just for olde time's sake.

Of course, Mego's figure selection was outstanding. So many popular licenses under one brand, I was like a kid in a candy shop every time I went to Grants or Grand Way department stores. Star Trek, DC, Marvel, and Planet of the Apes were my favorites. They had those cool vinyl covered cardboard playsets, too! I can almost remember the smell opening them. Sweet nostalgia.  :)

But the one line that blew me away from the first commercial was Big Jim. When I saw his arm curl, his muscle flex, and that metal band pop right off his bicep through sheer strength, I knew I needed to start saving my pennies. THAT was incredible. Hidden articulation, a karate chop action feature, and just the right amount of gay made this line easily one of my most treasured. And Mattel offered accessories galore. How was I expected to keep up?  ;D

One question: Did anyone else sate their instant demand for non-existant Star Wars toys with the Micronauts line? I couldn't wait for Star Wars toys, and this was the line that kept me happy 'til I found that first Chewbacca figure at Fay's Drugs. Then I dumped Micronauts like a cheap whore.
Post sober.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 12:01 PM »
The best was Many Faces. The robot that could take on the identity of all the action figures. Make him Oscar and have him hit Steve when he least expects it. Great accessories with that figure too.

That would be Maskatron.

Maskatron

Those Six Million Dollar Man figures & sets were great. Wish I still had them.  :'(

Mattels line of Space 1999 figures & accessories wre great. The large Eagle 1, Moonbase Alpha playset, the figures of Commander Koenig, Professor Bergman & Doctor Russel are cool. Big honors go to the Mattel Flying Eagle Vertibird which I have in my collection be sides the above mentioned!  8)

Mattel Figures
Mattel Eagle 1 Spaceship & Vertibird

Also by Mattel was the Battlestar Galactica figures.

Battlestar Galactica Figures

Mego made the Black Hole & the Buck Rogers figures & playsets.

The Black Hole Figures
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century Figures

Those are the ones I really remember & would love to see released!  8)

Can't forget about the Kenner Indiana Jones figures & playsets unlike the Disney figures!

Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark Figures

Speaking of Big Jim, I have this figure which Mattel sold the mold to Cipsa coming to me very shortly.  Also known as a Zython for the unproduced Space 1999 line. :-*

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 12:24 PM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Maskatron's ass is backwards.

And yeah, I had that Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999, too. I miss that thing. I had a couple of the Corgi die cast version as well. (And the model kit...)
Post sober.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 12:43 PM »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Maskatron's ass is backwards.

And yeah, I had that Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999, too. I miss that thing. I had a couple of the Corgi die cast version as well. (And the model kit...)

Are you sure his ass is on backwards!  ;D
Six Million Dollar Man MASKATRON + extras

The die cast Eagles were actually made by Dinky.  :-* Heres some pics of my Space 1999 collection & some die casts from Gerry Anderson's other lines.

Mattel Flying Eagle Vertibird.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Damn!!!

Many Faces... What a loser I am!

Nice call on the Maskatron and much better name anyway!

The pics are all great!

What was that Sci-Fi show... Space 1999 or something?

That and Battle Star Galactica were my Star Wars hook ups...

The Johnny West Stuff was great too because of the accessories. Geronimo was the best!!!

Big Jim rocked too! Forgot all about him.

"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 11:13 AM »
I had a Lone Ranger and Silver set, too. That was awesome on its own, but a Zorro would have been nice. (Never got Tonto.)
Post sober.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 03:06 PM »
It has arrived. The Mexican Big Jim Nocton!  8)