Author Topic: How often do you go to the Dentist?  (Read 10467 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you go to the Dentist?
« Reply #60 on: March 1, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Whoops sorry.  An avulsed tooth is one that has been knocked from it's comfy home within the bony socket by trauma.  An avulsed tooth needs to be reimplanted where it belongs.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 1, 2007, 12:22 PM »
What exactly has to be done to re-implant a tooth?  Can they be re-attached and have the same strength that they did before?  I always figured when a few teeth were knocked out it was time for some dentures.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 1, 2007, 03:02 PM »
What exactly has to be done to re-implant a tooth?  Can they be re-attached and have the same strength that they did before?  I always figured when a few teeth were knocked out it was time for some dentures.

Basically if it's been out an hour or less there's a good chance that the ligament on the root of the tooth will take back to the ligament left in the socket in the bone.  That's really the key, an hour or less.  Also there are various transportation mediums that the avulsed tooth can be placed in from the site it was knocked out until you get to a dentist.  There's something a lot of school nurse's offices have called Hank's Balanced Salt Solution (Save A Tooth) that has exactly the right mix of salt and nutrition to keep the cells in the ligament on the root of the tooth alive so that they'll be viable and reattach to the bone when it's reimplanted.  If you don't have Hank's on hand, you can also use milk, saliva, or water with varying degrees of success.

Even if all goes well, and the tooth takes back to it's home, there's a good chance that the tooth will have to have a root canal at some point in the patient's life.

:P
« Last Edit: March 1, 2007, 03:04 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 1, 2007, 04:11 PM »
I was always curious why it was that whenever I visit a dentist to have my false tooth piece fixed (Stepfather walloped me in the back of the head and I smacked my face off the back of the dining room steel chair and half went missing) they X-Ray it to see if it needs a root canal. Never has. Just always curious why. I guess now I know because of the trauma of impact?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 1, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Uh next question.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 1, 2007, 08:06 PM »
 ;D Every 6 months
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 1, 2007, 10:18 PM »
I was always curious why it was that whenever I visit a dentist to have my false tooth piece fixed (Stepfather walloped me in the back of the head and I smacked my face off the back of the dining room steel chair and half went missing) they X-Ray it to see if it needs a root canal. Never has. Just always curious why. I guess now I know because of the trauma of impact?

Kevin

When I was twelve, I got hit in the mouth with a baseball that I failed to catch.  Broke my left front tooth clean in half.

They put a fake bottom half on using pins (which I later was told was a practice abandoned by most years earlier (this was in about 1992).  They warned me that eventually I'd need a root canal.

Fast forward about 10 years.

The tooth dies.  I know this because I have an abcess (sp?) and the fluid (correct me if I'm wrong doc) had drained out of my teeth into my gums creating a pocket of fluid.  This required a root canal, and then a crown.

My guess is, that they're keeping an eye on your tooth because eventually you're going to go through what I did.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 1, 2007, 10:18 PM »

Basically if it's been out an hour or less there's a good chance that the ligament on the root of the tooth will take back to the ligament left in the socket in the bone.  That's really the key, an hour or less.  Also there are various transportation mediums that the avulsed tooth can be placed in from the site it was knocked out until you get to a dentist.  There's something a lot of school nurse's offices have called Hank's Balanced Salt Solution (Save A Tooth) that has exactly the right mix of salt and nutrition to keep the cells in the ligament on the root of the tooth alive so that they'll be viable and reattach to the bone when it's reimplanted.  If you don't have Hank's on hand, you can also use milk, saliva, or water with varying degrees of success.

Even if all goes well, and the tooth takes back to it's home, there's a good chance that the tooth will have to have a root canal at some point in the patient's life.

:P

You really do learn something new every day.

Amazing.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 1, 2007, 10:44 PM »
They warned me that eventually I'd need a root canal.

Fast forward about 10 years.

The tooth dies.  I know this because I have an abcess (sp?) and the fluid (correct me if I'm wrong doc) had drained out of my teeth into my gums creating a pocket of fluid.  This required a root canal, and then a crown.

My guess is, that they're keeping an eye on your tooth because eventually you're going to go through what I did.

That's what my Dentist told me we would have to watch for in the coming years.  She'll x-ray the teeth annually looking for an abscess or other evidence that the roots or nerves have died.  Most likely I'll need a root canal if I don't loose the teeth in the next few weeks.

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 2, 2007, 11:00 AM »
What's a "dentist"?

No...seriously...
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Oh man, I fall in the I can't remember the last time category. 10-12 years.  :-[

Had couple of problems with my chicklets, left side upper & lower. Teeth didn't bother me just the minor swelling so I saw the dentist 2 days ago & had them checked. Yep, a couple of cavities. So this afternoon I go back & get some work done. I hate the needles & the drilling but this went smooth. He had to give me 1 more freezing after some drilling to remove a filling as I almost hit the roof but after that nada. 

My left side is still frozen, oh I can't wait for that to be gone.  :-\

All in all he said everything should be fine, I go back after C4 just for a minor check & cleaning. He said my teeth were pretty good for not seeing a dentist for that amount of time.

Pure laziness on my part but I tell ya, see yoor dentist every six months. You're chicklets will love you.

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #71 on: May 3, 2007, 12:51 AM »
When I was in third grade, the dentist decided I should have a couple of permanent teeth pulled because my mouth was too small. I was terrified. I had the shot and lay there in the chair, and when I came out, I opened my mouth and asked my mother how it looked, and she said that the dentist didn't pull my tooth; he decided it wasn't ready. Nice of someone to tell the patient!!  So, I refused to go back to the dentist for about 15 years, until my wisdom teeth insisted on being removed. A few years later, my husband convinced me to go get a cleaning, and then I had to go back for a couple of fillings. That was at least five years ago. I can't remember exactly.  But I always brush at least twice a day!!
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2008, 01:54 PM »
so i've been getting caught up on some dental work i've been putting off for...forever.

I had a maryland bridge on my left lower  between two molars that was put in when I was a teenager...there was no adult tooth to grow in, hence the bridge.  Well the bridge came out about a year ago and took half of the molar it was attached to with it.  So last month I got a root canal on that tooth.  Next step is a crown and then they're going to replace the missing tooth with an implant instead of another bridge.  don't think insurance covers that, so I'm getting ready for the bing chaching.

Also had a molar (#31, for Dr. Skidmark) extracted on Monday.  It had broken ...oh about a year ago too, and has given me pain ever since.  Oral surgeon who removed it said he didn't know how I'd stood the pain from it that long...he couldn't get it numbed completely because there was some infection deep in the root, but because he's brilliant he drilled away at the material until he could see the nerve and then put the novacain directly on the nerve.  Felt like an electric shock for about a second, and then nothing.  He was able to then get it out no problemo.  now my jaw is kinda swollen and sore, but otherwise that turned out well.  THe cool part of that procedure was that he used a dental CT Scan instead of xrays so he was able to show me all kinds of neat things about my skull and jaw, and was able to go ahead and look at the bone where he will eventually put the implant.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:56 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2008, 10:21 AM »
How timely that this thread should be bumped, for I just had my first experience with a "deep cleaning." This is basically where they (as I'm told) aggressively clean your teeth below the gumline. They have to numb your mouth, since they're digging in there pretty good. I had to have this done since apparently the gum measurements (or whatever they call 'em) for my mouth went from 2-3 six months ago, to 5-6 just this last month, and I was bleeding all over the place. The frustrating thing is no one has an explanation why. Anyway, other than it taking over an hour for just one side of my mouth (I "get" to have the other side cleaned next Thursday), not much pain. Basically, my gums just feel irritated, like I'd been eating stale tortilla chips.