Author Topic: Original Trilogy Collection  (Read 27214 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Original Trilogy Collection
« on: January 29, 2004, 02:43 PM »
I noticed that SSG has a report from the UK Toy Fair.  Unfortunately they (Hasbro) did not allow photos (probably waiting for the US Toy Fair I'm guessing), but they did give some details on what is coming.  Here's the linky:

SSG's UK Report

Apparently there will be an assortment known as the "Original Trilogy Collection" (cool!).  There is also an explanation of new cardbacks, and new sculpted figures of R2-D2 (with sounds), OT Yoda, Dagobah Luke, and Spirit Obi Wan.  There's more at the link.  Personally, I'm excited to see confirmation of these figures (especially Luke/Yoda), and can't wait to see some pics.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 02:58 PM by OCB »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Original Trilogy Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 02:59 PM »
This is awesome, an entire LINE dedicated to the OT!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh my, I'm going to wet my self and just wait until you see what Matt does

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 03:15 PM »
Sounds pretty cool (A line dedicated to the OT), and like some winners could come from it for sure...  I'm a little worried about what style of figures we get though...  IE: statues, or actual action figures.  

The R2 sounds interesting (As interesting as a Swamp R2 can be), Yoda had no description for some reason, the Obi-Wan sounded about what we'd expect.  But, the Luke balancing on one hand has me a bit "iffy", as I'm curious  if he'll be good for much else, or if the gimmick of him balancing will force (no pun) him into being a one-pose-wonder.

This could really be a great line, and the packaging sounded DEFINITELY aimed at us...  :)  Not that I care about packaging, but it works for me to see some black packaging on pegs like the old days.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 03:36 PM »
Oh my, I'm going to wet myself and just wait until you see what Matt does

Um...  Yeah, I could use a little tissue, or TP, or sumthin' please...   :-[

I noticed that SSG hasApparently there will be an assortment known as the "Original Trilogy Collection"...

Great news!  Too bad they're not starting these new cardbacks up a little sooner, for all the 2004 product, as they sound pretty nice, and retro-like.  I assume this also means that there will be a "Prequel Trilogy Collection" as well...?   ???  I guess there'd have to be, if we're going to continue getting any figures from those movies as well.  Or maybe they'll just continue on with those as part of the regular Saga line, without much hoopla.  Who knows...

As for the Dagobah wave here, it sounds fairly promising.  Though the original Spirit of Obi-Wan was a cool idea and figure for it's time, it could definitely use an update, especially it's pose.  Hope it comes out nice, and neutral.  A new ultimate ESB Yoda has long been needed.  Hopefully Hasbro nails this one, as it's one of the most important characters/figures for the entire Saga.  Force-balanced Dagobah Luke, eh?  While it does have the unfortunate potential to be a one-pose wonder, a very cool pose it would be!  But I'd still like to have another "less buff" and neutral Dagobah Luke as well.  Hopefully Hasbro will figure out a way to make this figure work both ways, with some excellent articulation (including at the wrist?).  Dagobah R2 was really the last incarnation of this character left to do (not counting the spray painted atrocity with the Dagobah X-Wing).  Let's hope Hasbro figures out a more realistic method of yucking up poor R2, with some good mud and grime.

Boy, with all the OT product we already know about, I really wonder what's going to be left for this OTC line...  Unless a lot of what we've already heard about is going to be issued in this line.  Either way, very promising.  I'm excited (and definitely a little wet, as Scott already pointed out  :-[)...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:37 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Another thing I'd really love to see with these new retro styled cards, is for Hasbro to revert to those old vintage visual checklists for all the figures on the back of the cards.  Based on SSG's writeup of the cardback, it sounds like it might slightly be possible - "Following the above were pictures of other figures in that wave."  Or that might just be similar to what we've already got right now.  Hard to tell...  God I loved those old Vintage cards...   :'(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 03:52 PM »
Yeah, I'd love it if they did the cards old-style like that too.  The vintage cards were great, and I always liked being able to see all of the figures on the back.  I can remember when I got figures (specifically the ROTJ cards) that had 77+ figures shown on the back and basically thinking "got him, need him, got him" :P.  Plus, it is just a neat look.  Hopefully they do something similar....anything closer to the vintage-style is a positive move in my opinion.  Now I'm wondering, is this a permanent move for the OT figures, or just a "limited time" thing (I thought something at Rebelscum maybe said "12 figures").  I hope I'm wrong, I'd like to see the OT figures continue to have their own line like this.  We'll see I guess.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:53 PM by mosnab »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Now I'm wondering, is this a permanent move for the OT figures, or just a "limited time" thing (I thought something at Rebelscum maybe said "12 figures").

It's a little confusing, but it sounds like there's going to be an entirely seperate line from this one Brian, which has 12 "Vintage styled" FIGURES (not cards).  So I'm under the impression there's going to be two different OT kinda figure lines going on here.  Of course, I may be entirely wrong...   :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 04:03 PM »
Ok, that is what I was wondering about too Matt, thanks for clearing it up.  Hopefully we'll get this all sorted out in a couple weeks at Toy Fair :).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 04:10 PM »
I like the idea of Vintage Styled Packaging, how about Super Articulated Ultimate Versions, how about Bloody loads of background characters ala DC Direct or Marvel Legends.  It almost sounds like a Valor vs Venom type of system too, too bad 2 packs weren't in the works (maybe they are???)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 04:18 PM »
It almost sounds like a Valor vs Venom type of system too, too bad 2 packs weren't in the works (maybe they are???)

That's just what I was thinking when I read that as well Scott, when they mentioned "Rebel vs. Empire".  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the first thing that popped into my head was GI Joe's current line as well.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 05:08 PM »
BobaFett14 (Bob Raspet) has been pimping a Super Articulated "Vs." 2-pack line for a long time...  Maybe Hasbro's been taking at least a couple notes from him?

I agree, this line could yield (Since it's obviously aimed at the older fans) some of the best figures of the modern line...  Unfortunately, "whose best will they be?", could become a quesion.  

To Hasbro, 300th Fett was the pinacle of their abilities...  To me, Super Articulated Clone is their best...  I just hope they go the SA route, and diverse background characters (And MUCH needed resculpts of main characters, like say a Han with trench coat perhaps?) are the route they're aiming for, and not the 300th Fett route.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2004, 05:25 PM »
Aha!I get it!

Endor wave comes out in July and is the last saga wave.

Then in August/September we get the new line to coincide with the DVDs.

In April of 2005 the Original Trilogy line ends for Episode III.

So the way I see it is:
Now-July=Saga
August-April '05=Original Trilogy Collection
April 05-?=Episode III line.

Sadly it seems this year and next year ARE the last big hurah for Star Wars.Because,not much will be left to make by 2006-7 will there?Other than EU that is.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

SilverZ

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2004, 06:00 PM »
So I take it that the Falcon is the vintage mold again? Not that I'm not impressed with the lights/sounds additions, but it could use some retooling.

No "but she's got it where it counts, kid" jokes, please. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2004, 06:17 PM »
Yeah, I kinda wonder what's up with the vehicles here...  There's been rumors for the past year or so that a suped up, and possibly even resculpted/larger Falcon was in the works.  Might this be the case?  I'd honestly doubt it.  Personally, I'd MUCH rather they forego all the electronic bells and whistles that will probably be costly, and just remold the sucker into something even bigger and better!  Pipe dream though, I'm sure...  Hopefully those electronics don't add too much to the retail cost, 'cause I've already got two of these things, so if they want me to buy the same exact ship for the THIRD time, it better be worth it!

There's also a new Tie Fighter that's been rumored for a while too now - with the accurately proportioned larger wings, and the newly resculpted cockpit section from the KB exclusive Tie Fighter.  Hopefully this is the case, and that this ship will show up on this OTC line.  It'd be one helluva hot seller if those damned wings were fixed!  I wonder if that newly listed Vader's Tie over at Amazon will come out before this line's debut, or will be included in it later on?

I also wonder if the X-Wing mentioned there is going to be the Red Leader X-Wing that we've already heard about, or if it's going to be something entirely new or different...  As long as they make it so the pilot and droid are removable, and preferably so the call sign symbols are interchangeable somehow, I'd definitely buy a few!

I think the only other ANH vehicle from the vintage line missing here is the Landspeeder, which we already got a great resculpt of not too long ago.  Of course, they could also delve into the other ships from ESB and ROTJ again too...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 06:29 PM »
Perhaps the long overdue Sandcrawler and Bespin Cloud Car will finally be making their debut in this OTC collection as well.  As Nick reminded us yesterday, the Sandcrawler's confirmed as a Target exclusive for later this year, in the Fall.  Sound like a good fit for the OTC.

Then, after Hasbro pulls their heads out of their butts and finally gives us the Cloud Car, we can concentrate our attention and efforts on getting that greatly desired Jabba's Sailbarge finally!   8)

Any other ships that we still need, or that are in desperate need of a resculpt?  I'd love a resculpted, larger Skiff!  That'd probably be my first request.  I guess it would be cool to finally get a modern version of the Rebel Transport from ESB as well...