Author Topic: Original Trilogy Collection  (Read 27298 times)

SilverZ

Re: Original Trilogy Collection
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2004, 05:41 PM »
To me that sounds like they're basically coming in Hasbro's own version of a Starcase. A clear plastic case that folds and snaps shut around the card, sort of like the plastic cases the 2packs at Kmart were in, except resealable.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2004, 09:18 PM »
oh! Okay that is cool. ;)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Basic Figure assortment...
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2004, 10:37 AM »
Well,I like it,except for all the darn rehashes.
-Biker Scout
-POTJ Luke X-Wing
-Wicket
-POTF Leia
-Saga Vader Thrown Room
-C-3PO
-Han(WTF?!4th time reissue)

I know I'm forgeting some,but still!That's quite a hefty number!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2004, 08:11 PM »
i think this is probably the best news carded collectors will ever get.  even us openers are going to be happy, the articulation looks totally rad.  i'll never see these in stores, i'l probably never even get them. SSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2004, 02:08 PM »
Hmmm...

My brain always seems to think a step ahead.

OK, so the first case assortment is out and it is scheduled to contain:
OTC-01 Luke Skywalker (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-02 Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-03 Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-04 R2-D2 (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-05 Luke Skywalker (A New Hope)
OTC-06 Luke Skywalker (Return of the Jedi)
OTC-07 Han Solo (A New Hope)
OTC-08 Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-10 Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi)

That leaves 12 figures to be released:
OTC-09 Princess Leia (A New Hope)
OTC-11 Biker Scout (Return of the Jedi)
OTC-12 R2-D2 (A New Hope)
OTC-13 C-3PO (A New Hope)
OTC-14 Boba Fett (Return of the Jedi)
OTC-15 Obi-Wan Kenobi (A New Hope)
OTC-16 Stormtrooper (A New Hope)
OTC-17 Wicket (Return of the Jedi)
OTC-18 Princess Leia (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-19 Cloud Car Pilot (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-20 Lobot (The Empire Strikes Back)
OTC-21 TIE Fighter Pilot (A New Hope)

Hmmm.... 12 Figures left to be released, that's the same as the usual number of figures in a case.

I wonder then if this will be the mix for the next case (the last 12 at 1 per case) OR if there will be two more cases to come: a Bespin wave case and a pure re-card case???

Hmmm....

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2004, 08:16 PM »
ok, well i was looking at pictures from Toy Fair, and was also looking at pictures of old original vintage figures, and is Hasbro going to make the actual figure "hard plastic" like this :

Or is it going to be more updated with a soft cloak, etc...
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Figure assortment...
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2004, 01:30 AM »
Well,I like it,except for all the darn rehashes.
-Biker Scout
-POTJ Luke X-Wing
-Wicket
-POTF Leia
-Saga Vader Thrown Room
-C-3PO
-Han(WTF?!4th time reissue)

I know I'm forgeting some,but still!That's quite a hefty number!

It's not Hasbros intention to get you to buy all the repacks every time they change cards, it is however a bonus for them if you happen to be a completist and buy them all anyway. The true reason iss to keep certain figures regularly available to the casual fan/child/collector. Just like back in the real vintage days when you could still get the same 1977 Luke sculpt well into the mid-eighties. As I posted on another thread, I'm sure the repacks are just beginning. Wait till you start seeing entire lines repackaged on a new card. That will really piss off some of the new collectors.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2004, 05:36 AM »
I've got to agree that these card designs may just be the best ever!  They should've started them a lot earlier though.   >:(  I find it very hard to believe though that this line will only contain 7 new figures from the Bespin and Dagobah waves, plus all the rereleases.  There's got to be more on tap than just that, and I'd imagine that Hasbro will recard the "vintage 12" onto these OTC cards, after their "limited" release is quickly finished with.  It'd be a shame not to get those definitive figures out into wider circulation if the rumors of their limited availability hold true.

I really think that Hasbro will run the OTC up to the Ep. 3 launch.  As some people pointed out already, they could easily just alter the insert if they wanted to throw some prequel figures from TPM and AOTC into the mix later on.  There's still a lot of rumored figures on OCB's list up top here that I would think are still due out before Ep. 3, so hopefully Hasbro's got a few more unannounced tricks up their sleeves.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2004, 01:03 PM »
According to reports I read at both TheJawa.com, as well as the Jedi Temple Archives, the latest Insider (along with confirming those ships), has this tidbit on the Original Trilogy Collection:

---------------------------------------------------------
 And, if that was not enough news for you there was the confirmation that the OTC basic line will include only 2 waves of newly sculpted characters. The Dagobah wave will kick the line off, re-carded figures will hit the shelves during the year and the Cloud City wave will round out 2004. The figures on the Retro Cards will "have added articulation and deco - more than Hasbro usually includes on basic figures".
     Pictures of the Sandcrawler and the Retro Carded Leia can be seen on pages 85 and 86 in this month's Insider!
-----------------------------------------------------------

So I guess that might be some sort of confirmation that there's only two waves of "new" figures for the rest of the year.  I thought we might see some more surprises towards the end of the year, and maybe we still will.  They'll be starting up the Episode 3 hype machine by then, so you never know.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2004, 05:30 PM »
That'd really suck if OTC was limited to just those two new waves, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to be the case though.  Hasbro's pointed out that this line can (will?) carry Prequel figures as well (just not with the "OTC" monniker), so I think this line will likely be continuing right up to the April 2005 release of the Episode 3 figure line.

So considering the Dagobah and Bespin waves are due out late summer, that leaves another 6-7 months for other as of yet unannounced figures to come out, and that includes the all-important Holiday shopping season, which I'm sure Hasbro's not going to want to completely miss out on with no new Star Wars product.

I'm just pissed that they didn't get the whole OTC thing going a lot earlier, to include all of the OT focused releases starting with the Hoth and Tatooine waves a few months ago.  Instead, we're still stuck with the crappy Saga packaging...  :-\
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 05:31 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2004, 02:11 PM »
Yeah, after looking at the new packaging shots up at GH, I'm even for repacks of the rest of the year's line. Especially the Star Destroyer wave. The new cardbacks are amazing, the best ever, I think.

I'm still not sure how good PT stuff would look on these cards, however. Maybe I should put a mock together and see. It seems like the new cards feel so "right", so OT, that putting PT stuff on the exact same card would diminish its goodness. Maybe a very similar card design, with some slightly altered elements that the educated eye could identify as PT-based.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Good God, they're just as beautiful as the first Han card that we'd seen.  Without a doubt - the best Star Wars packaging of all time.   8)  I just wish that figure stand wasn't so prominently displayed in the bubble like that.  Detracts from the cool backdrop phote just a bit...

I'd love for them to recard the entire modern era on these OTC cards!   :o   :P

SilverZ

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2004, 03:10 PM »
***zap!***

Maybe PT figs wouldn't be so bad on the card. Just doesn't seem right, though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 04:33 AM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2004, 03:36 PM »
I'd love for them to recard the entire modern era on these OTC cards!   :o   :P

Considering its pretty effortless to do it, don't encourage them!  ;)
***zing!***
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 04:34 AM by Tydirium »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2004, 03:23 AM »
Sweet crap, those look awesome Jared!  Damn, now I really do want them all recarded!  If not, maybe you can just make me a bunch of customs...   8)

That Han w/ Carbonite is way too cool.