Author Topic: Favorite Toys of All Time (Any Time, Any Line)  (Read 16772 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Toys of All Time (Any Time, Any Line)
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2011, 11:32 AM »
How much would you pay for a vintage Vlix figure that was missing, say, a leg, but in otherwise decent condition?  Not exactly the same, but I'm sure people would pay some good coin for that shot at owning one of the most rare Star Wars figures.

Would it be a lot different than paying a $100+ for a box for a very rare/desirable vintage piece?  The box for a Flagg, for example?

E...

I hear you and I realize that an item is worth what someone will pay you for it, but I just didn't know Stretch Armstrong was that popular still. I don't think there is a stretcharmstrongdefender.com.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 7, 2011, 11:58 PM »
It is really funny that vintage Stretch Armstrong stuff is so crazy expensive.  I guess it makes sense because those things definitely didn't last long.  I went through 3 or 4 before my mom got tired of cleaning up the mess.  I remember the finishing touch of cleaning up my room would be soaking Stretch Armstrong/Monster in hot water to make him soft and putting him back in his styrofoam coffin under my bed.  When I finally had to get rid of my last one I had a funeral for him with the Irish kids that lived next door.  I don't think actually we buried him though.

So back on topic:

Fisher Price Adventure People, had quite a few of those sets when I was really young.  One of my favorites was this guy with a white shirt and a red toque because the green paint wore off his crotch area showing the white plastic underneath and we used to say he was wearing a diaper.  Also liked the Motorcycle set, the Dune Buggy set and the 6 wheeled ATV.

Mego is a line I can't believe no one else has mentioned, even if your only exposure was Twisted Mego Theatre that was one heck of line.  I had Batman and Robin in the 8" but my fave was the 12" Hulk I got for my 5th birthday.

Those Irish kids and my older cousins also had a lot of cool stuff I never had, the Buck Rogers stuff, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek movie, Clash of the Titans, Dukes of Hazard, Insectaurs, and those two foot tall Shogun Warriors Raideen and the Great Mazinga.

I mainly focused on Star Wars and later GI Joe.  Fave Joes Snake Eyes II of course and Storm Shadow I, Firefly, Flint, Spirit and Tomax and Xamot.  Fave vehicles were the Mauler, Raven and Thundermachine.

Later as an adult Collector, I was into select Spawn figures, Manga Freak, The Creech, Gravedigger, Spawn Ninja were totally cool.

Shout out to NECA's TMNT line, small and perfectly done.

And of course countless Star Wars items.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 5, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Because the SW line is completely stillborn right now, I am getting more interested in vintage toys from my youth.

A couple of standouts I had forgotten about include Pulsar, the transparent man and most of the Fighting Furies line, particularly Peg-Leg and Hook.

There's a healthy selection of Shogun Warrior stuff too, though I really only want the 3 megasized ones based on the comic.

Nostalgia is powerfully addictive.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 6, 2011, 09:46 AM »
I finally bit on a 97 Diecast Trendmasters Voltron lion dealy a few weeks back.  I had the 15pc vehicle Voltron as a kid, but never this bad boy.  I guess this version is a tad inferior to others out there, but he comes with an assload of weapons....and he's heavy.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Marduk

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 8, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Kenner Star Wars
Nomura Space Cruiser Yamato
Popy Space Cruiser Yamato

Mego Pocket Super Heroes
Knickerbocker Lord of the Rings
Hasbro Star Wars
DST Battlestar Galactica

:)

Offline MattCBR

• Youngling
  • on FB as MattCBR
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 12:59 AM »
POTF2 red card star wars figures:)

And back when I was a kid: the ninja turtles ;D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Thanks to some excellent websites like Toys You Had and Plaid Stallions, I am slowly piecing together memories of some of my favorite toys from childhood. It's crazy, some of these things are bringing back a flood of dormant memories. The nostalgia effect is powerful.

Case in point: the Ideal Star Team 70's stuff.

OMG, I was NUTS for that stuff when I was a kid, I loved my Star Hawk and Red Zeroid. Had completely forgotten about it all.

So of course, I am now compelled to buy ALL of this stuff again and savor the sweet satisfaction of reclaiming a piece of my childhood.

First score was a MISB Knight of Darkness figure, which absolutely rules. Worst Vader knock-off ever, but as a kid I didn't even know or care I'm sure. I can't wait to get this thing in the mail!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53 PM »
A little mix of my current and childhood toys...

Vintage Star Wars: Jawa, Yoda, and Amanaman

Modern Star Wars: Kybuck, Fully articulated Jawas, the articulated Ewoks, Holiday Special Boba Fett, & Yarna Da'l Gargan

Vintage MOTU: Mosquitor, Faker, & Clawful

Modern MOTU: Shadow Weaver, Bow, Vikor, Gygor, Shadow Beast, & Battle Cat (I love the whole line, hope it doesn't end)

Secret Wars: Both version of Spider-Man

Marvel Legends: FF Rhino, Man-Thing, Beta Ray Bill

Super Powers: Green Lantern & Braniac (still missing Cyborg)

DC Universe Classics: Kalibuk

Marvel Select: Mephisto, Thanos, Thing, UATU, Juggernaut (This line just gets better and better, the upcoming Venom has potential to be my favorite figure of all time!)
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Found a whole stash of STARCOM this weekend...  good lord.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Top 10 Action Figures of All Time
« Reply #24 on: April 3, 2018, 05:44 PM »
I was watching a YouTube video where the author was trying to pick his favorite action figures of all time, and it made me think of this old thread. Vintage, modern, or both...what do you think would be your ten favorite, either because of nostalgia, a special connection, or just the quality. Off the top of my head, here are some I can think of or have clear memories of finding then/now, no particular order:

1. Vintage Star Wars Chewbacca (first Star Wars figure)
2. G.I. Joe ARAH Snake Eyes v2
3. Super Powers Batman
4. Secret Wars Spider-Man
5. Vintage He-Man and Battle Cat or Vintage Man-E-Faces
6. Vintage Star Wars Han Solo (Endor)
7. POTJ Bespin Han Solo (gift from the wifey)
8. Spider-Man 2 18" Mega Articulated Spider-Man (ditto)
9. VOTC Han Solo
10. Vintage Star Wars Jedi Luke Skywalker

Tough to limit it to 10. I could basically put most of the Vintage Collection OT figures on there, as well the actual vintage figures. Not to mention lots of Marvel Legends, 25th Joes, and MOTU Classics. My list could probably change daily 🙂 The vinty Endor Han, Jedi Luke, and Chewie were my go to toys as a kiddo.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2018, 07:41 PM by Brian »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 3, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Okay, I'll try this one...

1 -- Vintage B-Wing Pilot (this was me when I used to play Star Wars as a kid. Luke adopted him and called him "Champ."
2 -- Shogun Warriors Godzilla (he attacked the Death Star so many times...)
3 -- Transformers Blaster (loved him, he replaced Optimus as the Autobot Leader in my version after reading his exploits in the old comic book.)
4 -- Vintage Jedi Luke Skywalker
5 -- POTF2 Muftak (I never in a million years thought they would make a figure of him. Still my avatar on the boards)
6 -- Transformers Snapdragon Triple-Changer Headmaster (the Blackbird SR-71 is still my favorite plane)
7 -- MOTU Trap Jaw (I didn't like He Man 'til I saw that guy, then I was all in.)
8 -- POTJ Bespin Capture Han Solo (Just right, how does a piece of plastic ooze such personality?)
9 -- Vintage Max Rebo (I couldn't believe he was wearing a diaper under the organ! All my SW figures doubled as musicians, the Ewok VIllage was their concert stage and I would play 50's "best of the oldies" LPs for them to perform. Obviously Max was always there...)
10 -- POTF2 Jawas (I have bought so many of these, I must have had over a hundred by now. Gave many, many away over the years as a memento.)

Good topic!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 3, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Resurrected thread.

Without thinking too much. (Yes, yes, like how I normally post... :P )

1. AD&D Warduke (this was me in my psychotic medieval revenge fantasy caricature)
2. MOTU Modulok (Evil beast of a 1000 bodies, all of them sexy as hell)
3. GI JOE's Duke (because he was a mail away and anything you receive in the mail as a kid gets bonus points)
4. Fisher Price Adventure People Brainoid (He's an alien brain in a jar on robot body, predating Krang)
5. Vintage Star Wars Bossk (it's that karate chopping left hand and he's a reptile man in a flight suit!!)
6. Super Powers Joker (the beating Batman over the head with a madcap mallet feature makes him best Joker toy of all time)
7. BSG Cylon (I think maybe I sucked his vac metal chrome paint off and turned myself into a freakin' retard...also his non-articulated legs were a bummer)
8. GI JOE Major Bludd (his mostly immobile right arm was annoying, but he somehow was the coolest baddie when I got him)
9. Remco Creature from the Black Lagoon (glow in the dark version...man, I wish i'd had both back then)
10. Vintage Star Wars Greedo (I like him so much I chewed his antennae off.)

Honorable mensches:
Kang (Secret Wars)
Shipwreck (GI JOE)
The 1985 Dreadnoks (GI JOE)
Mer-Man (MOTU)
IG-88 (vintage Star Wars)
« Last Edit: April 3, 2018, 08:09 PM by Scockery »