Author Topic: CW Deluxe Spider Droid - Ever seen it?  (Read 12718 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
CW Deluxe Spider Droid - Ever seen it?
« on: February 11, 2004, 05:32 PM »
So what the hell's the deal with the Deluxe (recarded) Clone Wars Spider Droid?!?  Has anyone here ever seen it at retail, 'cause I sure haven't!  Aside from Ephant Mon and the Red ARC Trooper, it's the only item I haven't been able to find in stores since the tail end of the Ep. 1 line several years ago.  I have seen it at a "collecting store" I frequent, but it's obviously a tad bit higher there and I haven't wanted to bite on the retail uplift just yet...

So have you found it?  Bought it?  How many?  My carded collection demands one, despite already having a carded and loose regular Saga version.  I hate to succomb to the secondary market, but it looks like I'm going to have to, since the CW line has long been gone from every store around here.  Not a CW figure in sight anywhere (except Animated).

I think my buddy's got a line on a Spider Droid, but at a slight premium ($15).  I should know later tonight...   :-\

Who else is still in dire need of this thing?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 05:35 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: CW Deluxe Spider Droid - Ever seen it?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 09:07 PM »
No, I've never seen one in stores, but I really have no desire to pick one up. Looks kinda bad, IMO. Plus, I don't really like the wind up feature for some reason.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Seen it and have it. Actually, I've seen it all of two times. Once, prior to xmas, I saw it and picked it up, I think at a TRU or possibly at Target. The second time was pretty recent. I saw one at a TRU within the last few weeks. If I happen to come across another MOMC one, I'll pick it up for you Matt.  

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 09:35 PM »
By god!We litterly have tons of them over here!At least 50 mor so at a local TRU! :o
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 07:18 AM »
Once at a TRU.  They had three, I believe.  Didn't buy it because I have the original and its good enough for me.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 04:03 PM »
Welp, I bit the proverbial bullet, and made a very rare move for me by snagging one for more than retail cost...   >:(

Had my buddy Jared here snag me one down at the Star Tours shop at Disneyland yesterday for a fat $15.   :-[  Oh well.  Doubtful I was ever going to see one.

Got a nice minty one too, so thanks bud!   8)  They've still got some more down there, so I'll check in the next time I'm headed in that direction to see if anyone else needs one.

All caught up again now, up to the JP wave, so I'm back on track!  Well, I could still use a FF Sandtrooper and Weequay, but other than that, I'm good...   8)

Andrew, I'm rather shocked to hear you've got that many in your area, especially still...  I haven't seen a regular Clone Wars figure in about a month now - anywhere.  Odd that your store still has 'em, and the rare Spider Droid at that.  Any other interesting little treasures out your way that you'd like to share with us?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 05:42 PM »
I've actually seen this a couple times Matt, but not as of late.  TRU had them actually sitting for a short time, but don't know if they still have them.  I'll keep my eyes peeled if you're in need of a 2nd one per chance.

One TRU had one the last time I was there, but that was quite a while ago.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 07:30 PM »
Well,brace yourself,this is really the best little treasure ever!

150 Jedi Star Fighter Pilots Obi Wans!
All of the CW animated wave 1
30 Tesseks
And...oh yes!Hoth Troopers!

How that? 8)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 07:51 PM »
I recently saw about 10 of these CW Spider Droids at my local Meijer store.  They're pretty much the exact same thing as the original Spider Droid, but it has a different paint job on it.  I own one of the original ones, but I passed on this one.  I don't particulary care for that stupid wind-up action device sticking out of the top if it.  Looks stupid!
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 08:12 PM »
but it has a different paint job on it.

Uh-oh...  Don't tell me that Chris!  You sure?  Damn, I'm going to have to scope both of mine out when I get home.  This is not a good development for a completist.   >:(

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 06:45 AM »
Let us know, Matt.  If there's another paint job out there, now I have to pick it up.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 07:56 PM »
Uh-oh...  Don't tell me that Chris!  You sure?

I think I'm sure about the paint job being the only difference between the two, but I could be wrong.  I saw it up close and it seemed like they were the same exact sculpt, but just slightly different paint jobs.  Nonetheless, even though I own the Saga version I still think it's kind of a crappy item.
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 10:31 PM »
Saw it a couple of days ago, and didn't pick it up! Yeah, the passion is definately gone it seems...   :-\
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Sandtrooper Dan

• Banned
  • Youngling
  • The one who dies with the most dioramas, WINS.
    • View Profile
    • Sandtroopers.com, the news that gets you the toys.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2004, 10:41 AM »
I've never seen this one in my local stores either, and I want at least two of them.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 12:49 PM »
I was lucky enough to find this with the SBD builder on regular Saga cards. I've seen it a few times on a CW card, but, fool me once...  :)

I'm still looking for Deluxe Obi-Wan and Jango from Kamino. :(
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk