Author Topic: Heres an idea...never will happen...  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Heres an idea...never will happen...
« on: February 12, 2004, 05:40 PM »
What if SW.com had a contest involving star wars artists, say, designing a charachter for E3, or Clone wars? How big do you all think it would go over?

Also, if you have a pic that you would enter, if they held said contest, post it here!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Heres an idea...never will happen...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Playmates Toys and Viacom sponsored a "Design an Alien" contest years ago. The grand prize winner got a walk-on role as the alien they designed on Deep Space Nine.

If Lucasfilm did this, I'd enter in a heartbeat.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 06:31 PM »
Playmates Toys and Viacom sponsored a "Design an Alien" contest years ago. The grand prize winner got a walk-on role as the alien they designed on Deep Space Nine.

Go ahead John...  It's OK, you can brag!  Tell the folks who actually won that contest...   ;)

Alright, alright...  I'll tell 'em.  None other than our very own highly esteemed MisterPL.  That's who!   8)

And for you Trek fans, you may very well have (briefly) seen John himself right their on your own TV, disguised as his cool alien of course!  Got that picture floating around still John?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 07:59 PM by JediMAC »

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Geez, can't a man be humble?

Here's the head shot that won.

Here's the costume design I did at Paramount Studios.

Here's the final costume.

That's why I'm partial to the idea of a Star Wars contest. Being on Trek was cool, but being in the last Star Wars movie would probably be a hoot, too. (Unless I got kicked off the set over "creative differences.")
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 08:02 PM »
Humble?  Nah...  Where's the fun in that?!   :-*  But no worries, I won't tell the folks my original guess at your costume there when it was just a blip of a head shot thumbnail for your old RS avatar.  Remember?   :-[

As for an art/design contest for Ep. 3 (or any other property), I think it's a very cool idea, and one that would probably work well for some other franchises.  Just doubtful that Uncle George would ever go for something that creative and fan-friendly...

Here's the head shot that won.

Looks like a blue version of the alien from The Last Starfighter, with a jockstrap on his head...  Was that your inspiration, or am I off base there?   :P

« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 08:08 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 08:25 PM »
Mister PL, thats truly amazing. Did you create the costume yourself, or did the makeup artists create it?

Kevin

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 08:53 PM »
Looks like a blue version of the alien from The Last Starfighter, with a jockstrap on his head...  Was that your inspiration, or am I off base there?   :P

Don't tell anyone, but after I entered the contest, I found an illustration I did for West End Games that had an alien in it pretty dang close to the Trek alien. George had it before Viacom did.  :o But that's our little secret, okay?

Mister PL, thats truly amazing. Did you create the costume yourself, or did the makeup artists create it?

Thanks, Kevin. Bob Blackman's costume department did the costume, but he and I designed it together. I only provided a headshot and a brief history of the character. I was content wearing a Starfleet or Bajoran uniform off the rack, but he said, "No. This is your creation. Besides, I want to try something new." We looked at fabric samples for inspiration and he showed me some experimental texture effects he was dying to try, so I sat down at his desk and incorporated it. I love to collaborate. It was easily the most fun I had the whole time.

For the mask they had to create a lifemask of my head. I'm a little claustrophobic, so I practiced my breathing on the flight out. It was interesting having your head covered in about 15 pounds of plaster and algenate.
Post sober.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 09:22 PM »
Sounds fun! Im slowly learning how fun having plaster all over your person is. :-p

Art projects, a couple actually.

Nothing like that though.

Kevin

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 09:33 PM »
I can honestly say the only time I was plastered was for Star Trek.  ;D

If you ever get a lifemask, remember to breathe slowly through your nose. And avoid headcolds. It's bad for you but worse for the poor SOBs dealing with your mucus.  :-X
Post sober.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 11:05 PM »
Hey, that's really cool MisterPL!  I like the design there.  So was it just an anonymous secondary character in the background type of role, or did you get to do anything exciting, like talk or get a close up shot on?

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 09:21 AM »
My character killed that episode's guest star in a violent hand-to-hand battle the likes of which Trek had never seen!

Kidding. I almost stepped on her, though, following her out of an airlock.

Here's a page with a screen capture a Trek fan did based on the appearance. I spent most of the day in costume waiting to see if the director wanted to use me again, but by 8PM and after twelve hours in costume, I was ready to call it a day. I was actually more interested in trying to meet someone in their art department but it was not meant to be.

For what it's worth, Majel Barett-Roddenberry liked my stuph.  ;)
Post sober.