Author Topic: Bespin wave  (Read 14780 times)

SilverZ

Re: Bespin wave
« Reply #30 on: June 2, 2004, 02:50 PM »
I'm even more excited for these now. Perfect figures. Except for the paintjob on their Leia, which looks to be entirely shifted left on the figure by a centimeter. Hopefully that's not a common error.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: June 2, 2004, 03:05 PM »
That rainbow gown looks odd, doesn't seem right from what I remember, it looks nice though

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: June 2, 2004, 04:12 PM »
Taking a look over yonder at GH's preview, I noticed a few things...

-Leia...  I'm overall pretty happy, and while the attempt at "sheer" spacey fabric is different I'm not really disappointed with it.  The figur'es what it should be to me...  Simple, effective...  Accurate headsculpt.  A softgoods skirt with bendable knees might've been nice just so she could sit, but she's cool nonetheless.

-Lobot...  Pretty great really.  I rank him in there as being similar to a Senator figure.  No need for flashy articulation, no need for goofy gimmicks...  no need for any pose really.  Just a nice vanilla cyborg.  His implant thing coming out is weird, but I assume it's not intended to.  The accessories rock and Hasbro gets an A for creativity in designing some "just off-screen" doo-dads for him.  Nice figure, and nice apology for POTF2 version.

Now, the figure I actually had a problem with is the one I was hoping I'd love the most...

-Cloud Car Pilot...  Not that he's bad by any means, but what the hell is up with Hasbro insisting on making "leaning" action figures?  That lean doesn't totally ruin him, but it sure as **** detracts from an otherwise PERFECT action figure.

I don't get it...  Why would they do this?  Why'd they do it to Ach Med Beq, Lt. Faytonni, and the Clone Pilot as well?  Is there some odd sculptor at Hasbro who specializes in figures who lean?  Does this sculptor perhaps have a condition where he himself is constantly leaning to one side so when he sculpts figures they lean as well?

I want answers to these questions because I'm tired of leaning figures.  Hasbro's new craptacular trend!

Don't do stuff like this...  :(  Faytonni and Beq would be ultimate Custom Fodder if they didn't lean.  CCP would be a simply amazing figure if he didn't lean.  Other figures in the past were "ruined" by a lean that kept them from being truly great!

STOP IT!  JUST STOP IT!  :-X

There...  Said my peace.  Whoever did that sculpt's a real jag-off for doing that.   >:(  

Really nice accessories though...  Love the belt/holster thing.  The blaster and communicator are cool nods to the vintage figure too, and the helmet's see-through visor rocks as well.  

Just wish that sculpt were NOT leaning.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: June 3, 2004, 08:44 AM »
I love the see-through visor on the CCP helmet.  VERY cool.

Leia's dress is a little strange, but I think it's just the paintjob/lighting.  The sculpt looks great though!

Lobot!  No wide stance!  Can't wait to see Lobot's Duplex updated with this guy.  They must be going nuts over at LD waiting for this guy!  :P

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: June 3, 2004, 09:24 AM »
I just hope LD can be back online by the time he shows up in the States :-*

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2004, 11:03 AM »
Since he's from Bespin, and a pseudo-new figure, I'm adding this here instead of the re-hash thread...

Galactichunter.com has a nifty feature up on the OTC Bespin Luke.

Check out this picture:
Bespin Luke Comparison Photo

It's a GREAT comparison of the Saga (Beat-Down) version and the newer one from OTC.  The coloration on his outfit is more vintage-brown than the Saga yellowy color.  VERY nice.  I waffled on this one earlier, but I really like the changes now that I've seen better pictures of Luke.  

Now, I'm definately gonna pick up one of these bad boys.  That way, I can have a Bespin Luke ready to take on Vader near the Freeze Chamber, while my Saga version cowers on the weather vane after Darth kicked his butt.  

If only there were more of these cool re-hashes mixed into the OTC...

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2004, 11:07 AM »
I agree Jeff, this is the type of rehash I don't mind at all.  That was one of my problems with the Bespin Luke the first time around, it was a really nice figure (even with the action feature and "battle damage"), but I always thought it would be nice to have a clean, "normal" version too.  I'll definitely pick this up if I find it, and I don't mind some of these figures that have some updated paint...or that I missed before (actually looking forward to the Gam. Guard as well).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2004, 11:10 AM »
It's nice, just wish it had a better hair/head sculpt.  

One that was less sweaty and matted, any ideas on a good head swap?

X-Wing Luke perhaps (minus the buckteeth)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Hmmm...

X-Wing Pilot Luke would be a good one.

If you want an X-Wing Luke head, let me know and I'll mail ya one... I've got a 5 or 6 left over from Rogue Squadron Pilot Customs I've done.  All you have to to is use an exacto knife to get rid of the teeth paint.

:)

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Yeah, that X-wing head doesn't look too bad at all, nice work Jeff.  I can see what you mean about the sweaty/matted hair Scott, it would have been a little nicer with a different head sculpt.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2004, 12:19 PM »
I think I have enough Luke X-wing heads to last a lifetime, I picked up a ton on the $2 clearance sales of 2001/02 at Target

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Opened these bad boys last night.  Love the Cloud Car Pilot, disappointed in his elbows though.  The helmet is awesome.

Lobot is great as well, perfectly good for the rest of time

And BEspin Leia is also nice for what she is, I was able to pull out a bunch of POTF2 rejects this weekend from the shelves...Dengar, Bossk, Dagobah Luke and the First Yoda, Bespin Leia, Lobot.  Now what do I do with them?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2004, 10:39 AM »
I usually do the same thing Scott, once there is a "superior" version of the figure released, the old POTF2 sculpts get packed away.  I just don't have the room to leave both of them out.  Nice to hear your thoughts on the Bespin wave as well, I hope that shows up around here soon.  Really looking forward to the Cloud Car Pilot for some reason, as well as Lobot.  And, the Leia looks poised to replace the PLC version I have on the shelves as of now.

Quick side question for you...are you getting two of each of the "new" OTC figures, or just ones to open.  I found the Dagobah wave this weekend, but haven't opened them up yet...they are just so purty :).  I am an opener, and I want them opened up, but a part of me is just holding off for some reason.  I guess its just packaging, but it just looks nice.  Anyways, congrats on scoring the Bespin wave.....for those not picking up the repacks, it should be quite a break for awhile, Star Wars figure wise.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Hey!  How did your case get here before mine?

rasafrasa  >:(

Anyway, MY EE wave 8 and 10 should be here today according to the delivery tracking... After I get those cases, I should have OTC 1-21, 26-28.  Sweet!

I've got a Q for you (since I can't wait until I get home and look at my own dang figures), did you try the CCP helmet on a regular head?  I am considering head-swaps for customs, just wondering if the CCP helmet will look strange on a non-"hooded" head.

Also, on you superfluous PotF2 figures, I did the following this weekend as I revamped the SW room to make room for the OTC:

Dengar - added PotF2 version to Jabba's Palace
Bossk - added PotF2 version to Jabba's Palace
Dagobah Luke - seated in my vintage Yoda's Hut with PotF2 Yoda
Leia Collection Bespin Leia - trash ;)  (ok, stashed in my custom fodder pile)

In other words, if I didn't have a good spot for them in a diorama/scene or something, I chucked them in the "custom fodder" pile.

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2004, 10:48 AM »
I'm resisting getting a carded set because I refuse to support Hasbro's decision to screw the collector in this whole bit.  I agree that these cards as awesome as anything I have ever seen, but in the end its just a way to make sure it gets from Hasbro to me with all of the accessories (which Lobot's laptop is one of the best of all time)

I've fondled the packaging enough and its a great bit of work, hopefully they stick with it for Episode III (the backgrounds behind the figures and the lava dressing the sides instead of the retro bars)

And with that with the exception of the 24 VOTC I need to buy I should be done until November when the 2005 figures start to hit.  My wife will be more than happy...no more SImpsons, not really thinking of picking up much for LOTR and Brent will be getting me Culpepper and Moss in Sportspicks.  Guess its time to get more into Kubricks :P

Thanks Hasbro for giving my wallet a rest