Author Topic: Homebrew  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Homebrew
« on: February 13, 2004, 04:07 PM »
 I was thinking since we have some real beer afficinados here. How many of you brew any at home?

I do. I got into it a few years ago. Over the years I have had some good sucess and some failures. Anyway who else out there brews?  Got any favorite recipes

Heres is one of mine a Guinness clone ;)

6 lbs. Gold Malt Extract

1 lb. Flaked Barley

1 lb. Roasted Barley

2 oz. UK Kent Golding Hops

5 oz. Corn Sugar for priming

WYeast - Irish Ale #1084

Plenty of good stuff ;D

Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 04:57 PM »
Homebrew, good day eh!  ;D

I used to brew my own a few yrs ago. My friend & his dad got me started as it was a cheaper in the long run.

My first batch was an Australian lager by Coopers. That batch knocked my socks off. I never really tried any other beers out there.

One day, my friends dad bought a couple of carbonated units. Well let me tell you, there is no way I will ever brew my beer without one. No more sediment at the bottom of the bottles. So good you can drink it straight from the bottle.  ;)

3 yrs ago, a friend from work invited me to a block party just down the road during the summer. I took a case of this carbonated beer with me. He brews his own too. He never tried a homebrew out of the bottle with no sediment. He took 2 swigs of the beer & thats all he could talk about all night.
"Man, thats the best damm homemade beer I have ever had! Damm thats good!" Now he carbonates his beer.  ;D

I would love to get back to making my own but with 3 cats, its very hard to have a sanitized area to work in.  :-\

Hopefully someday I will brew again!  ;)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 07:19 PM »
Dale I know Australian lager by Coopers very well. It was one of the first kits I tried. Very good stuff. If you get back into it try substituting half the powdered malt extract with honey. Let it ferment a little longer for the honey sugars to break down. Man that is some good stuff.

I agree the carbonation systems work great. I also use a homemade racking system to ease the process a bit.  You can pick up old soda kegs that have been refinished for about 10 bucks. Those are next on my list.
 I also want to try to make a mead. go real old school and try that. maybe even open fermantation to see what nature brews for me ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 08:08 PM »
My family's uh, homebrewed, but not beer...  

My great grandfather was a shine runner, and after he died my grandfather and grandmother kept his still and copper tubing.  After my grandmother died some years ago (I was around 12, so it's been a while) it turns out that my father gathered up the shine still and other stuff, and brought it home.  All works and everything...  Very interesting actually.  

It mostly just sets as a decoration in my parent's home, and the tubing and things are put away in the garage.  Makes some very potent liquid though, if put to use.   :o
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Ah Coopers....

Many a fond memory.  Having a kid changes a lot.  But when a buddy and I did the homebrew schtick, we did Coopers.  Mostly because it was cheap, available and harkened back to the time we spent in Australia.  The best part is that the homebrew was awfully close to what you can buy down under.  I believe the advertising line at the time was Every silver lining has a cloud... lending itself to the fact that Cooper's Ale was a cloudy beer (duh).  Very, very tasty.

I got hooked on Coopers in a little town called Uluru just outside of Ayer's Rock.  Day before climbing the rock (can't do it now as the Aboriginal's have control again and it is a sacred feature to them) I met a couple of German guys in the hostel.  They borrowed a knife to butter some bread and we got talking.  They were going the opposite way around Australia that I was so I passed on all the stuff I had just learned.  They were most appreciative.  

Later that night I ran into them and they had a big old case of Cooper's.  Hey, Canadian, come und haf a bier they shouted out.  Sure, no problem.  We finished that case (24) and headed off to lala land powered by 6.5% Ale.  

Up at 5:30 to climb Ayer's Rock hung to the gills.  Climb the damn rock, almost upchucking for most of the way.  Get to the top and what do I hear?  Hey, Canadian, come und haf a bier

Damn, I love Coopers. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 03:58 PM »

Thats my Ideal home brewery.

My teacher brews his own. Says when I am 21 I can have some. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DJCB666

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 01:45 AM »
My uncle brews his own beer.  He has a keg system set up in his bar at his house.  He took an old fridge and cut two holes in the door to put taps in.  He always has two different kinds of beer in the kegs and usually a few bottles of other kinds.  He's made mead twice and it's awesome.  It's got a real kick to it.  He served it the old way too, room temperature.  If anyone wants I can get his recipe fo mead, just let me know here or PM me.
You will find no truth in me.

-Vergere

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 09:01 AM »
I would gladly take the recipe for your uncle's mead.  I have been wanting to try a batch for a while.