Author Topic: OTC Sandcrawler  (Read 27899 times)

Offline stan

• Jedi Initiate
  • Choose Your Destiny!!!!!!
    • View Profile
OTC Sandcrawler
« on: February 17, 2004, 08:16 PM »
Head over to the Private Universe they have some info on the Sandcrawler that you can buy it!!!  I can't go there because of this Net nanney
or I would go there to find out for us!!!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 08:20 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 NEW NEWS ON SANDCRAWLER
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 10:30 PM »
It says something about preorders for UK retailers  :-[
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Yeah, Private Universe is a European website. So that would be ordering info for Europeans.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 12:04 AM »
For your edification

Image placed not knowing if it's cool or not.  Please delete if a violation of anyone's copyright or site rules.

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Sandcrawler finally?!?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Hopefully the info is accurate, and it's really coming out this time!  I'll be happy to snag a couple, but I would be much happier if Hasbro actually revised the mold (last minute) and made it at least a little bigger than the old vintage one...

Think about it - this vehicle will eventually be used for thousands of "Purchase of the Droids" dioramas across the world.  But when all is said and done, and Hasbro's pimped us the rest of the droids for that scene (R1-G4 is a good start), the droid lineup is going to unfortunately extend well beyond the limits of the Sandcrawler itself, which will look rather stupid.   :-\

TPU is reporting that it's release date will be around the end of May, and it'll run about $65.  Too much IMO, unless they go with a newer, larger sculpt instead of the one pictured there.  God, I really hope they do!

If not, maybe Michael Fright will sell me his...   :P

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 07:55 PM »
I doubt very much if Hasbro will revamp the crawler at the last minute (they usually save that idea to mess up the 12" line) though I would snap one of these up if they did.  I am surprised at the suggested price point though, it is less than what I thought considering the size of the crawler and the price of the Imperial Shuttle (and it's comparable size) a few years back.  I assume this will NOT be an exclusive so it will help all collectors have a shot at getting one at retail.
All in all, it's good news to hear about the pending release but a little disappointing on the "length" of it.
Beth

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 02:32 PM »
I will take it any way I can.  If they choose to repaint the vintage version and take out the remote control stuff so be it.  I'd love a bigger one like everyone else.  However, there was mention on another site that this may retail for $65.00.  They were under the impression that price was for the repainted vintage mold.  If so, there is no way Hasbro would make a newer version.  It would be around $100 probably if they did that.  Or maybe it is a new version and it's only $65?  

Either way I want it.  

SilverZ

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Well, the completist in me dictates that I must own.  ::) On this though, I may just skip the opener one and keep it boxed. This is the first vehicle that I actually have a major dislike for. And that's coming from someone who finds the TIE's wings ok and that the AT-AT looks acceptable to-scale for its purposes.

I really, really don't like the scale of this though. Never did much like it even back in the day. It's the treads that are so out of whack with everything that it looks plain silly to my eyes.

I'd honestly pay the $100 if it could justify a significant or all new tooling.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 05:24 AM »
Well, an underscaled Sandcrawler is better than no Sandcrawler at all, I suppose.   :-\

But I definitely agree with the sentiment being expressed that this vehicle should've been at least a little bigger.  I certainly would've paid a higher price point for an all new sculpt that's larger than this old vintage mold from 1978.  Why the heck do they think passing off a 25+ year old toy with a suped up paint job is going to fly with modern day collectors?

Fortunately, a lot of Kenner's vintage molds were at least pretty decent, so they weren't too bad to use again to save some money, but come on - this Sandcrawler is just way too freaking tiny!  Splurge a little Hasbro!  We'll still buy it.  I promise!  Maybe even a few of them if you do it right.   8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle discussion/speculation!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 03:00 PM »
Looks like it is a "no-go" on the Sandcrawler for now.  Hasbro has a brief Q and A update posted saying that Target has passed, and also answers a question about the VOTC line:

Hasbro Q and A Update

SilverZ

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I'm glad Hasbro is doing some honest Q&A updates. That's very helpful.

I wouldn't be too sad to see the Sandcrawler never come to light, at least in its current form. The vintage was dodgy in its day, and by today's standards it just is plain bad. Could Target have actually had the sense to realize this as well?

It is the first time without the [heavy sarcasm] Hasbro braintrust [/heavy sarcasm] to let the niave readers know how to read the sentence.

I figured the short bus had already left for the day to RS.   :-*

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 1, 2004, 03:39 AM »
I'm glad Hasbro is doing some honest Q&A updates. That's very helpful.

I wouldn't be too sad to see the Sandcrawler never come to light, at least in its current form. The vintage was dodgy in its day, and by today's standards it just is plain bad. Could Target have actually had the sense to realize this as well?

It is the first time without the [heavy sarcasm] Hasbro braintrust [/heavy sarcasm] to let the niave readers know how to read the sentence.

I figured the short bus had already left for the day to RS.   :-*

Jared, I caught that short bus to RS earlier today but I'm back now. I'm also all better now. Keeping with my usual MO there, I posted this in the alarmist "like we have any say" Save-Our-Sandcrawler thread:

I'll be a little bummed if it doesn't get released, but it's beyond my control. I never had one of these growing up, but three of my older cousins did. When they went to college their mom's were cleaning out garages and basements and knew I was still into Star Wars, so they gave me a lot of swag. Most of it was trashed stuff, but I did get 3 Sandcrawlers from different aunts! Two of them still worked and were complete (except for one ramp). The other was still MISB - they had bought it for Christmas back in the 80's as stashed it away for the big day - then couldn't find it when they were wrapping all the gifts. She said they ran out and bought another so my cousin would have it for Christmas and planned to return the other one when it surfaced. Well, it wasn't found for a long time, and by then Target wouldn't take it back. You know how they are about returns/customer service. Score for me though!

So I guess I could really give a crap less about the Sandcrawler. I've already got three, not counting the one I got at the Thrift Store last year the kids use as a hamster cage.

All that fun and I didn't get any response. Funny.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2004, 03:43 AM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2004, 12:52 PM »
Reading Hasbro's release this is my take:

The Sandcrawler IS dead period unless it is picked up this year. Next year we will not see it since Ep. III IS 2005. No retailer is going to pick up an orginial series item during a movie year. So if no retailer picks up the SC, this thing is not going to happen.

Look for mutiple case assortments with the OTC line. That means the newer figures will be harder to find while the repacks are going to be abudnant i.e. "to try and ensure that the MOST POPULAR figures are available . . . " Most popular is not collector most popular. So looks like I am going to save time and money come summer and fall since I am an opener and don't need repacks! Bring on the Unleash line!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2004, 04:59 PM »
I would definatley buy the sandcrwler!!!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2004, 11:19 AM »
So, according to yodasnews.com, the Sandcrawler is headed to Diamond.

I guess that means it will be available at Comic Shops and the like.

If I had to guess, it would probably end up as a shared exclusive to most on-line sites (like EE and NewForce) since they can order from Diamond, as well as ending up at Media Play/Suncoast like a lot of those Diamond Simpsons sets did...

I hope this pans out to be true.  I always kinda wanted that Sandcrawler.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender