Author Topic: The Passion  (Read 10397 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
The Passion
« on: February 18, 2004, 03:47 PM »
http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/splash.htm

Opens next week, who's going, who's interested.  I am interested probably won't go until the DVD comes out...I read the DaVinici Code the other night so I am a little more interested than I was a few days ago

I was listening to the radio on the way home from the airport and the guy was talking about the fact that the world right now is at such a low point morally and spiritually that he thought the graphically accurate portrayal of the Passion might spark some sort of 21st Century Revival...its an interesting premise.

I'm also intrigued about the controversy surrounding its R-Rating and the anti-Semitism vibe (which I think is pretty over the top)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: The Passion
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I still don't quite know what all the fuss has been about...I understand there are concerns about the depictions of certain Jews, but I haven't heard the details.

I did catch a bit of Mel Gibson's interview on PrimeTime the other night, and he does seem slightly...uh...skewed.  

But I think Braveheart is one of the best films ever made, and I admire Gibson's convictions.

I'd like to see it in the theater, but my wife and I have a new baby in the house so that may not be possible...we'll have to see.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 03:57 PM »
I'm looking foward to it and I'm a jew,looks intersting.Mainly becasue it's in Aramaic and latin,and since I enjoy Aramaic(and can speak a very little bit)I thinkthis movie will be intersting.

It also seems to be made very well and shot carefully.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 05:06 PM by Supreme General Vator »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 04:00 PM »
Read an article in that bastion of Journalism the USA Today yesterday saying how mayn chruches are renting out whole theaters to bring chruch groups in to see the movie and even though it is R-Rated they are recommending children 10 and up go and see it

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 04:36 PM »
I am really into my religion, and i do go to church every sunday and my church youth group leader made reservations so we get a special screening just us, the day after it comes out, so it is pretty exciting but i am really thrilled about this movie!  Poor Mel Gibson is getting alot of crap for it though, it makes me mad!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 04:53 PM »
Definitely creating one helluva lot of controversy...  Looks intriguing, and I'm sure we'll catch it during the first week in theaters.  I understand Jewish people not wanting to be portrayed in a negative light, but history is history - so as long as Mel sticks to the facts, I think he has a right to show what happened (from the Bible's point of view).  It's a Hollywood movie after all, so people should take it with a grain of salt, and as entertainment, if not historically accurate information.  It's not like people nowadays should be prejudiced towards Jews based on a Hollywood movie which is based on what happened a couple thousand years ago...

Watch the movie.  Enjoy it, or not.  Decide for yourself.  The fuss is very similar to one of Mel's other recent movies - The Patriot, when all the British folks and media were up in arms over the portrayal of them in that flick.  Did anything come of it in terms of present day?  Nah.  We're all good buds still...   ;)  Same should hold true for this movie as well.

I agree with Mainland though, in that I don't think Mel should be getting the heat that he is.  I understand people looking at his decision to make this as controversial, but the media is all suggesting that Mel may be banished from Hollywood forever by his colleagues, and that no one will ever work with him again...  That's f'n ridiculous, and WAY over the top.   ::)

I am interested probably won't go until the DVD comes out...

Ya' think it'll still be in theaters when the DVD gets released?   :P  Patty just finished the DaVinci Code last week as well, and really loved it!

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:57 PM »
i dont know why this movie would create so muc controversy though it is pretty odd, you know.  I dont understand it at all.  I think it will be an excellent movie, and bring in lots of dough for Mel Gibson, i just really dont get why people are so damn controversial over something that doesnt diserve it.  I dont get it at all.
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 05:05 PM »

Here is the ADl's position on why they are worried, not because of the history of events, not because of how Gibson portrayed it, but because the world is rife with Anti-Semitism already and they think the movie will make things worse because people tend to be idiots

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 06:35 PM »

Here is the ADl's position on why they are worried, not because of the history of events, not because of how Gibson portrayed it, but because the world is rife with Anti-Semitism already and they think the movie will make things worse because people tend to be idiots

Wrong (duplicate) link there bub.   :-*

My theory is that those idiots out there are going to be idiots regardless of this movie.  I don't think this movie is going to create new idiots though.  If there's some jacked up, crazy people with a deep seeded hatred for a particular race of people, they're going to do stupid $h!t anyway.  They, or others, may blame some atrocious actions on the movie, but that's just an excuse.  If lunatics are going to snap, or just terrorize in general, this Hollywood movie is not going to be what puts them over the edge.  They're just wackos, and that's just what they do - with, or without, a potentially anti-semitic movie to fuel the fire...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 06:49 PM »

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 07:20 PM »
I've definately got to see this.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 12:22 AM »
I'm going to see it, probably the week after it comes out, provided the local theater keeps it around that long.

I wonder if those who have a problem with this flick also have a problem with 'Jesus of Nazareth', which I thought was a pretty good flick and has some of the same subject matter, though I'm sure not near as graphically portrayed.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 08:45 AM »
I plan on seeing it, because, Im sure it shows, the Crusifiction wasnt pretty, like it is on the stations of the cross on the walls of your church. Jesus was charged and treated like a criminal, if not worse, due to the fact that he was claiming he was the Christ, the Messiah, and that he was King of the Jews.

Weather or not your a religious person, its an important piece of history being portrayed, and I really think I should see it.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 10:18 AM »
The films doing everything that Gibson wanted it to do. It's making people talk and think before it even comes into theaters.

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 01:03 PM »
This is crazy, whole churches are renting out theaters to see this.

I'm never going to be able to get tickets.  :-[