Author Topic: Gold Freakin' Leader  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Gold Freakin' Leader
« on: February 20, 2004, 02:17 AM »
I managed to pick up Antilles, Dodonna and Gold Leader at the front of the wave vs. the back. I’m usually trailing most other collectors, so to celebrate and share the love I’m writing reviews for each.

Gold Leader

Overall, I’m really happy with the new Gold Leader figure. Hasbro has packed some nice detail into this sculpt. There are a few details here that I suspect were test runs of things we’ll see in future figures as much as they are natural progression of the line and the ability of it’s designers. The transparency and refraction of the visor plastic is an improvement over Porkins and Luke.

Ultimately, this guy was sculpted to shoot stuff and then be posed to make everyone stand around and hear about it.

His articulation is great. I was surprised that his knees both bend and swivel. A mild annoyance is that the strap sometimes pulls out of his back when rotating his hips to a sitting position. This can be avoided by holding the straps securely in his back while bending his legs. It’s not nearly as annoying as loosing the Ventress head, which my 15 month old manages to pop off daily. Ah well, as long as he doesn't swallow it.

The leg movement allows for great dance moves that were unheard of for vintage figures from my childhood.

His right arm has elbow and shoulder articulation, and his left glove and shoulder also rotate. The left glove is a little awkward, the opening seems exaggerated.

Another odd choice is the up/down neck movement in addition to the left/right (think the new Hoth Luke). Odd because the movement is so minor here as to be nearly unnoticeable. This is picking nits, but I would have preferred a working holster added to the flight suit (think Han Solo’s leg strap version) instead of head nodding action.

Perhaps it helps him spot bogies coming at him at 10 o’clock. If anyone were come after the Gold Leader figure, he could spot them a mile away. His eyes, and head, are huge. Also enlarged is his weapon. Gold Leader, Antilles and Dodonna all sport new and improved side arms. These three pack a little more punch than our friend the Rebel Fleet Trooper.

Bigger guns are good, because like I said earlier, this dude is built tozap baddies and talk up his exploits to anyone that will listen.

I recommend picking one up. At the very least, he’ll tell all your other figures stories while you’re at work or school all day.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Gold Freakin' Leader
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 05:55 AM »
Too funny Deanpaul!   ;D  Poor headless dance partner there...  Great pix and good review!

Gold Freakin' Leader?  Is that the figure's title that Hasbro put on the insert inside the bubble?

Glad to see a nicely scaled Rebel blaster finally!  Half way between the cannon of the first RFT, and the pea shooter of the revised one.  Bummer they didn't paint the end silver though...

More reviews now please!  Good stuff!   8)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 09:19 AM »
that review and pictorial were great :) - awesome pictures... i love the one where he's sitting on the wing telling stories  ;D

i actually found one of these myself  :o - which is amazing, but the visor on mine looks a little green-ish, more than yellow/orange. how's yours? green? orange? yellow?

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:06 AM »
that review and pictorial were great :) - awesome pictures... i love the one where he's sitting on the wing telling stories  ;D

i actually found one of these myself  :o - which is amazing, but the visor on mine looks a little green-ish, more than yellow/orange. how's yours? green? orange? yellow?

Thanks jokabofe!

It's hard to get really accurate color with my lighting and then going to the web... If you have access to the Pantone Color Matching System, I think the visor is close to a PMS 609c.

Matt,

Hasbro didn't actually put "Freakin'" on the card, they put enough of it in the figure! This guy will make you want to use exclamation points everywhere!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 01:42 PM »
Beautiful review. I'm putting one of these pictures on my desktop. Beautiful. Dean you make very fantastic photos, great detail - and funny. Please make more reviews!

Never thought I'd credit DeanPaul for being funny.  >:(

;)

Offline bangs

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 04:04 PM »
How do you find these figs?  well I guess it's easy when you're willing to pay more than 5$ but me I won't

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 10:02 PM »
How do you find these figs?  well I guess it's easy when you're willing to pay more than 5$ but me I won't

Bangs,

I just lucked out this time. I’m usually at the back of the pack where finds are concerned.

In this case, I did buy them from an online retailer with a few brick and mortar locations.

Fortunately for me, they happen to have a space near where I live and they don’t mind walk in traffic.

They buy a lot of things in pretty good quantities, and I usually don’t feel too ripped about their prices.

You might look and see if they have a store near you.

BTW - Jan is articulated so that he is saying "Good Morning" in American Sign Language. Just in case there was a misunderstanding. The old coot is a little hard of hearing.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 10:08 PM »
Beautiful review. I'm putting one of these pictures on my desktop. Beautiful. Dean you make very fantastic photos, great detail - and funny. Please make more reviews!

Never thought I'd credit DeanPaul for being funny.  >:(

;)

Thanks, Brad. Wait, were you just nice to me? :-*

Man, this place is like a parallel universe or something... I'm curious, which image made the cut for your desktop?

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 11:56 AM »
Man I can't wait to acquire this figure. He looks great.
Thanks for the pictures.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 06:31 PM »

brilliant!! another excellent photo  ;D too bad you blocked out your visa number  ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 07:20 PM »
BTW - Jan is articulated so that he is saying "Good Morning" in American Sign Language. Just in case there was a misunderstanding. The old coot is a little hard of hearing.

Glad you clarified that Dp, 'cause I had his fingers confused there for a minute...  I'll have to see if one of those places are anywhere near me here in L.A.  Looks like a good shopping place...

BTW, what's with Antilles noggin there?  Did you stick a new head on him or something?  He looks totally funky there - like he's got some big blob of hair.  Sumthin' ain't right!   :P  That's a different head, right?  Or am I just going crazy?!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 07:20 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 09:54 AM »
My desktop is the one with him sitting ontop of the X-Wing telling the crew about how sexy his last kill was.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 05:55 AM »
Oh man that was great!  Classic humor, good descriptions, great pictures - your review has it all!  Awesome job Deanpaul.  Who's up next?   8)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 03:13 PM »
DeanPaul, your reviews are worth being here alone!!!!! They rock!  I wish I had a digital camera! Soon!  
Again, I am amazed at your skill!

DeanPaul, what name did you assign Gold Leader from pop culture?  I am still trying to decide!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 03:15 PM by TheBlackDog65 »
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3