Author Topic: Van Helsing  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
Re: Van Helsing
« Reply #15 on: May 5, 2004, 08:53 PM »

Scott,
Why do I try ?
« Last Edit: May 5, 2004, 08:55 PM by Infamy Of Crete »

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 5, 2004, 11:46 PM »

Scott,
Why do I try ?

Nice!

Well everyone does have their opinions, I could see where you would say that statement though.

I am looking forward to it though, but CG really attracts me, on any film.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2004, 11:47 PM by Mainland05 »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #17 on: May 9, 2004, 07:45 AM »
My next door neighbor went to see this movie yesterday and he confirmed that the movie did indeed suck ass.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 9, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I wen't to see VanHelsing, and I was impressed. The special effects were fun. The story was very good, and has some plot twists to keep you on your toes. Some things you might see coming a mile away, but some will make you say "What the...?" but all in all it was pretty fun.

It's good for what it is, a non-stop summer action film. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #19 on: May 9, 2004, 01:38 PM »
Well, we took in this masterpiece last night.

There's a really fun monster movie in there... somewhere. The 1st 20 minutes are great. The CG can be a bit dodgy at times, but it was to be expected, so fine. Lots of good depictions of the classic Uni monsters. The VH character looks cool and is stocked with some really clever monster hunting weapons.

But unfortunately in order to milk that out of it, you need to sift through 3 tons of bad, bad dialog, horribly miscast actors, horribly miscast actors acting at the level of a high school production of "Grease" and a groan inducing plot and action scenes. This is BAD.

I won't ruin the end of the movie for you (the filmmakers do a fine job of it on thier own) but in the last few scenes, you'll be asking yourself where the Ewoks are and why X-wings aren't streaking across the sky with fireworks. God, it's terrible.

Offline P'Dubs of the Sith

• Youngling
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith............
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 9, 2004, 05:37 PM »
Saw it, loved it, want that hat.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #21 on: May 9, 2004, 08:10 PM »
I dug it, though it could have used a few less faked accents.

And more Kate Beckinsale boobs.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 11:06 AM »
I just watched the film on Saturday, and thought it was the dumbest, worst movie ever!  The CG was great, but the plot and acting to me totally sucked.  Especially when those brides would cry like little bitches. I thought they were tough?  Well I don't know, I hated it!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2004, 01:00 PM »
I won't ruin the end of the movie for you (the filmmakers do a fine job of it on thier own) but in the last few scenes, you'll be asking yourself where the Ewoks are and why X-wings aren't streaking across the sky with fireworks. God, it's terrible.

Amen to that ::)

I took it in on Saturday but chose to digest it until now.  

Jackman is wholly inappropriate in the role, probably mostly due to type casting now as Wolverine.  I kept waiting for him to say I'm the best there is at what I do and pop out the claws (which sort of did happen towards the end - anyone else notice that peculiar sound effect?)

The monsters were nice and in the classic sense, good.  Igor I found entertaining.  

The CG left me wanting to be honest.  A wee bit too much looked like some of the stuff in that animated blockbuster Anastasia (the followup to Bartok the Magnificent ;)).  Hell, some of the plot seemed to come from that movie and certainly the CG baby vamps were pulled nearly directly from it.  

Beckinsale is indeed hot and I really need to get Mrs. Bug dressing like that.  I must admit I was completely unaware that spandex was present around the 19th century however.  I liked the character, but thought they demeaned it by making her a wee tad emotional for someone supposedly dedicated to killing stuff.  

I'm sad I wasted money seeing it in the theater, but the popcorn was good and I love that ketchup powder, not at all the same as the crap I buy in the store.  Yum.  

Stepped out of the theater into the first thunderstorm of the year.  Ooh, spooky....not.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 03:12 PM »
Ketchup powder?

Is that easyer to ingest for the older folks? :-*

Kevin

Seriously, whats Ketchup powder?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Sorry, probably a regional thing at best.  

I'm sure you've been to stores that sell flavored popcorn?  We have one up here called Kernels.  They also sell the flavorings in packages like salt shakers that you shake out onto the popcorn to add the flavor.  Salt & Vinegar, Sour Cream & Onion, Dill Pickle, etc.  Ketchup is my personal favorite.  

Most of the big chain super theater places use the stuff directly from Kernels and the Ketchup tastes like crap.  This other theater, smaller, older with less comfy seats has the original flavoring that tastes much, much better.  I go watch all the movies I can there because of the ketchup flavored seasoning/powder.  

As a twisted sidebar, ketchup flavored chips are a very regional thing.  We have a small but substantial potato chip factory in Winnipeg called Old Dutch.  They, like hostess, Lay's, etc. sell flavored chips.  Ketchup chips are the number one seller in the Winnipeg market and nowhere else is at all close.  Do understand that Winnipeg is a weird place though.  You've seen me moan about winter that lasts forever.  We are the five time defending slurpee consumption champions in the world.  That's based on number of slurpees consumed per capita.  Number two and three cities are Calgary and Detroit.  [/useless trivia].

Liquid ketchup wouldn't be particularly prudent on popcorn in a movie theater.  Punk. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 04:25 PM »
This was a popcorn movie, pure and simple.  I saw it last night, and it was alright.  Not the best thing I've ever seen, but not the worst either.  I'm begining to like Kate Beckinsale more and more, that's for sure.

I kind of knew what to expect going into the movie.  After all, this is the same director as "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns".  Both were reasonably predictable and slightly campy.  Is that bad?  I'm not sure.  I think that depends on your tastes.  If you want to go to the movies and have some fun with something that's less than cerebral, then check it out.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Send me some ketchup products, and I'll send you a jar of some good ol' American Spring Time H20!

Kevin

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2004, 07:48 AM »
Ok my wife and I watched this last night on Pay Per View....

Is there a backstory that I missed?  Is Van Helsing a comic book or regular book type character that I was just unaware of?

I kept rewinding Tivo in a particular part to "Hear what they were saying" but it was really because of the wet shirt that KB was wearing.  Then I got busted after the 5th rewind.

I went in with zero expectations (not my kind of movie, wife's choice) so I guess I wasn't let down.

I did catch the Wolverine homage though...about as subtle as the Toad/Darth Maul crossover in Xmen.

But seriously is this a Comic/Graphic Novel character or something?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2004, 10:48 AM »
I kept rewinding Tivo in a particular part to "Hear what they were saying" but it was really because of the wet shirt that KB was wearing.  Then I got busted after the 5th rewind.

Classic.

Van Helsing was the character from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein novel who was basically the nemesis of Dr. Frankenstein. But not quite like this. They kind of just took the name and made a new version of him for this film. He was in no way, shape, or form the same person in the original book. They definitely pumped him up and gave him a whole new look for the film. Of course, having a 60 year old doctor be the hero of the movie probably wouldn't have made the box office numbers that making Hugh Jackman the hero did, so I guess it was a good move for Hollywood to do it.