Author Topic: Opinions on Rebo Band and Rancor  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Opinions on Rebo Band and Rancor
« on: February 24, 2004, 11:28 AM »
I was curious as to what some of your opinions were on the POTF2 Rebo Band pairs, as well as the Rancor.  These are two things/characters that I have always wanted to have in my collection, and I have been considering trying to pick them up on ebay (eventually).  I kind of held out in case they were "re-done" like many other figures are these days, but I don't think that they (particularly the Rancor, due to size) will be.  Anyways, I was wondering if many of you think the sculpts, etc. hold up well compared to the current-day offerings from Hasbro.  If you can offer any of your opinions on these pieces, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on Rebo Band and Rancor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 12:43 PM »
don't wait any longer... pick them up now  ;D

j/k - but seriously, i don't think they will be re-doing either of them any time soon. the rancor is just too big, and the rebo packs kinda sat at walmart until they went on clearance. but both items are really good.

i love the rancor. the luke that comes with the rancor, is ok... maybe they could re-do the rancor and put a new gamorrean guard in with him instead. wouldn't be a bad idea, but i'm not sure that hasbro wants to put out anything that big (read: expensive) right now. i mean, my tru still has stacks and stacks of 12" luke tauntauns sitting around. target had tons of leia on speeders till they marked her down. i know that it's a different scale, but i think the price point is the key here. the rancor was about $30 i think when it came out. but i think that if they were to re-do him today, they would most likely look to charge $40 - $50, the way they are pricing stuff recently ($21.99 for a screen scene with 3 figures?).

i also love the rebo packs... all 6 figures are great. but i don't really see hasbro doing an entire wave of single packed figures to get all 6 of these back on the shelf. unless they went with a screen scene approach, and put 3 in one scene and the other 3 in the other scene. but they are definitely worth picking up.

now that i've kinda told you to get them, but given ideas about how they could be re-released anytime - the rest is up to you  ;D

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 02:43 PM »
The rancor is cool.  Fairly accurate in scale, nice detail and movie accurate (the earring in one of his ears).  The only problem is he doesn't stay standing upright.  You have to balance him on one of his hands or do like I did and cut a piece of wooden dowel to prop him up.

The Rebo Band members are pretty good figures, IMO.  Great for filling out your Jabba's Palace dioramas.  The Sy / Yowhza two pack is the weakest of the three, IMO, but they're all worth picking up.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 12:12 PM »
Easily worth the price for the Rancor right now.  It's as cheap as I've ever seen it and considering what Dave said above, probably below retail.  I think it's a big improvement over the vintage version too, incidentally the very first vintage item I owned.  

The band pairs are cool too, relatively rare and command too high a price, IMO on ebay.  Still, they are nice pieces, but I paid only around $10 Cdn for each so $30 Cdn or about $22.50 US for my set.  Good deal, eh? ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 08:40 PM »
I actually have an extra Rancor (loose, no Luke or bone though), and a Max/Doda pair carded.  If you're interested, I'd sell you both Mosnab.  Just let me know.

My opinion...

The Rancor's definitely close, if not dead-on in its scale with the 3.75" figures.  The figure's main flaw is that its joints aren't strong/stable.  The arms are, but the legs aren't capable of holding the beast's weight up.  It's possible to balance the rancor with one hand on the ground and the legs so that it stands well though.  I have mine holding a Gamorrean in the one hand, chomping on an extra Wicket I had, and Luke standing before it with the bone.

The Luke figure isn't great, especially considering the new one out there, but it wasn't a shabby figure either.  The bone was kind of cool as an accessory too.

They even got the earring in the Rancor's one ear down, which is a pretty minor detail, but a noticeable one in the movie.

The Rebo band pairs were some of the finer sculpted figures of the POTF2 range I thought.  Max/Doda were the best IMO, and the biggest value given Max's organ thing, and all.  Doda's a really nice sculpt (Max is too), and they look great.  

I felt that the Joh/Droopy 2-pack was the least attractive, but it was still a decent set.  Sy and Bar'Quin were cool too...  Those two sets were the only ones plentiful around me, and the Doda/Max set was non-existant here, but I hear it was plentiful elsewhere so it was hit & miss.  I got mine in trades/sales some time ago though and only saw them on shelves one time around here.  Kind of like the MMC 3PO.  I never saw that thing once, and had to barter for one to get that kickass 3PO.  Yet, at the same time, I hear that 3PO was a shelfwarmer some places.

They're all worth owning if you ask me.  The Bantha's a superior beast to the Rancor (And sold better as a result) but the Rancor still rocked.  The "lifelike" feel of it was kind of cool compared to the vintage Rancor.  Vintage's one advantage though, was that it had the chomping jaw that looked just awesome, and worked well to boot.  I remember my vintage Rancor eating G.I. Joes left and right.  He went from being Jabba's pet to being Cobra Commander's bio engineered experiment.  Good times.

So hope that helps...

Oh, and there were instruments for Joh Yowza, and Sy Snootles sold through Raving Toy Maniac's I believe, BUT I'm unsure if they are "legit" repros, or not.  I've heard that these 2 figures were originally intended to include an accessory for each.  A guitar for Joh and a microphone for Sy...  Both are sculpted as if they are to hold something anyway.  RTM sold these things for like $3 a set, and they look great.  Not sure if RTM still has them up for sale or not though.  They're worth picking up if they do though, legit accessories or just customs.  They look cool and add a lot to the otherwise more "bland" characters.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 11:15 PM »
Yeah, I think the band figs are as nice as the current stuff. They're sculpted beautifully. The bummer is, of course, that Sy is based on the stupid CG cartoon from the SE, and not the old puppet. :( I don't even display her (or Yowzah). I like the Rodian, though. He's hilarious. ;D

The Rancor's pretty cool, too. As others mentioned, he does have problems standing. I have mine rearing up, so far back that he's kind of balanced. But he's still propped against my printer. The sculpt detail is nice. The "soft skin" is cool, and the flat look of it contrasts with the gloss paint they used inside the mouth so that the mouth actually looks all moist and mucousy like in the movie! ;D

I give 'em all the thumbs up, with extreme prejudice against SE CG characters. ;)

Offline DJCB666

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 09:06 AM »
I completely agree about the Rancor.  It is a pain in the ass to keep balanced, but it looks good holding a Gamorrean or Luke.  They did an excellent job combining the flat look of the skin with the glossy mouth, like Ook said.  The Luke is a good sculpt, but not great.  The bone accessory was definitely a nice touch.

I don't have any of the band pairs, I never even saw them.  With the release of Rappertunie, they may re-do the others, but again who knows why Hasbro does anything they do.  Just take a look at tyhe Fan's Choice #6. ???
You will find no truth in me.

-Vergere

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 09:30 AM »
Jesse, I believe Joh and Sy were packaged together and Droopy with Bar'quin.  And I do agree that the Rebo / Rodian two pack was the best of three.  Max's organ is a pretty cool little accessory.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 02:23 PM »
I have mine holding a Gamorrean in the one hand, chomping on an extra Wicket I had, and Luke standing before it with the bone.

;D

Ewoks.  the other, other, other white meat.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 02:24 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 02:42 PM »
The Rebo sets are worth the scrib, of course I paid Wal-Mart's retail price for them.

I have the Rancor, and it's neat, but I think it could use a new paint job.

Never picked up the Bantha.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 1, 2004, 07:19 PM »
Kind of off-topic, but I just wanted to prepare myself for this, as it seems to be widespread among the population here: is there anything that can be done to tighten the Rancor's joints once they start to loosen?  I've had mine posed on a shelf in the crouching position grabbing at Luke since I got it, so all of its forward weight has been balanced on one of the claws.  All this talk about joint loosening though has me nervous, so I was curious if anyone knew of any preventative measures to take care of it.

As for the Rebo Band two-packs, I thought that the Droopy/D'an and Max/Doda two packs were really nice.  For some reason though, the plastic on the Joh Yowza figure just seemed really cheap to me; it didn't seem to have much weight to it at all and seemed poorly sculpted in comparison to the other Rebo figures.  Sy was okay, but I'd have preferred the OOT version over the SE version myself.  "Lapti Nek" forever! :)

That being said, I'm also curious to know how distro was in everyone's areas on the Rebo band packs.  Where I was at the time was overrun with the Sy/Joh and Droopy/D'an packs and we never saw the Max/Doda pack at all within a 100 mile radius.  I ended up having to buy them (thankfully at cost) from someone on rasscm back in the day, but to this day I've never seen one at retail.  I was just curious if everyone else had this same difficulty.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2004, 12:29 AM »
I've haven't actually tried it yet, but an idea I've had on the joint issue is to wind some thread or fishing line around/into the joints. Jamming it in there would tighten it up. I wouldn't want to get it stuck in there and unable to come out, though.  Others will tell you to try super glue. Put some in, and move joint so it doesn't get stuck. Never tried that either, but I sure as hell won't either!

I have no memory at all of distrbution of these guys. Can't even recall if they were hard for me to find, or not...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 08:52 AM »
The Rancor rocks. A huge improvement over the vintage on. As for the Rebo band, I love them. I am so glad they added Rappurtine to the bunch. I wish they woul dmake the rest of them.

I liked the Bantha as well. I think that is worth picking up if you dont have it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Encrypt3dByt3s

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • The Star Wars Collector's Marketplace
« Reply #13 on: July 6, 2004, 01:12 PM »
The Max Rebo Band Pairs are pretty cool and the Rancor looks real good, but he doesn't stand like he should.  I think more figures have become "battle damaged" by the POTF2 Rancor than any other...
~ Encrypt3dByt3s
Buy, Sell, and Trade your Star Wars items at the Star Wars Collector's Marketplace.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2004, 10:00 PM »
The Sy/Joh and Droopy/whoever packs were easy to find, at first. Within a few weeks they disappeared.

Around January 1999, a local Wal-Mart got in a ton of Max/Doda packs, and they sat for months till shortly before TPM stuff showed up. Never saw any of them after that.

Wish I'd have known the Max set was uncommon. I'd have picked a bunch up, because they were being sold for about $6-7 at the time.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk