Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Beer
« on: February 25, 2004, 09:19 PM »
Time to lighten the mood a little here and talk about one of my favorite subjects...Beer.

We had the homebrew thread last week, no its time for the macrobrews and microbrews...

My wife is from a small town in MN and they have a brewery that makes Grain Belt Premium.  One of my all time favorites.  They also make 1919 Root Beer there if you've ever had that, some of the best ever

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: Beer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Excellent topic Scott...here's my personal favorite

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 11:42 PM »
I think my answer depedns on whether you plan on trying to get me in trouble.  ::)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 11:58 PM »
i usually don't go for too many microbrews, although there is one that was delicious... it was called blithering idiot barley wine ale...

with 11.1% abv (alchohol by volume) it don't get much better than this  ;D

not available everywhere though, that's the problem... if they ain't got this (and they usually don't) i'll drink a nice pint of guinness. or whatever you're buying...  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 12:34 AM by jokabofe »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 12:29 AM »
I typically go for a Guinness, but the doctor told me to cut down a bit of calorie-heavy things, so I'm on a Bud Light kick

*leaves thread embarassed* :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 12:44 AM »
I support local when I can and we have two excellent breweries in town (used to be three :-\).  The primary one I support is Fort Garry Brewing Company.  Three primary brews: Dark, Pale and Light.  Even the light beer is quite tasty.  All 5% alcohol by volume.  

Following that I tend to like Big Rock, an Alberta brewing company Dale is sure to chime in on.  Granville Island out of Vancouver is also nice, and historically for me one of the first micros I ever had.  

Whenever I travel, I like to drink the local swill.  Scott, I'm sure, can tell you horror stories about Leinenkugel.  

I have a penchant for Australian and New Zealand beer(s) as well.  Lion Red/Brown from Kiwi land.  Australia is a bit stickier, depending upon the taste I'm after.  Way too many XXXX, so it's out.  Powers bitter ale when in Queensland.  South End when in South Australia (the export product we used to get tasted like ****, but the local brew was ok).  VB from Victoria (duh).  Probably Swan or Coopers for the rest of the states.  All we can get locally is Steinlager, which is probably like you folks drinking Molson Canadian or some such beast.  

Guiness, Bass, Stella Artois.  

It looks like I may get to attend a conference in Prague in August.  As a bonus the welcome reception is in the Pilsner Urquell brewery.  Something like 400 years of brewing history.  

Why yes, I like beer :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 09:32 AM »
We have some good micro breweries in town and around the area. I will drink those at times but you gotta go there and get it since they don't bottle, But they sell it by the gallon for take home  :)..  Hey this is Wisconsin pints just don't cut it ;)

Anyway. I do buy a few brands. Capitol City haas a couple types I like. There is a local liqueur store that stocks 200 micro brews. I have tried a few some are reall good and some are real bad. I will also buy some of the Trappist ales.

But also Scotts 1919 rootbeer is readlily avaliable here and its quite tasty.  The micro brewerys also have there own. they are very good. Brown sugary goodness in a nice frosted mug. great on the hot summer day when beer isn't an option.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 09:50 AM »

My every day beer.

I also enjoy Sam Adams' seasonal beer.  Right now, its Winter Lager but the Summer Ale is the best IMO.

Lots of good micro-brews in Boston.  I always try something new if I'm in one.  Boston Beer Works has had some pretty good beers in the past.

And you can never go wrong with a Guiness or Black or Tan.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Following that I tend to like Big Rock, an Alberta brewing company Dale is sure to chime in on.

Ahh, Big Rock beer!   8)  Mighty fine!  Bigrockbeer.com

We have a few other micro breweries here, Alleykatbeer.com  , Molson Breweries & Labatt Alberta Brewery. On a side note, there is a Brewpub called Brewster’s Brewing & restaurant. You have that there Brent?

I'll take my beer anyway I can you Hosers!  ;D  

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 07:39 PM »
I prefer to drink either Miller Lite or Michelob Ultra, but if I'm not counting the calories just about any non-dark beer would suit me just fine.
dustrho

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 12:18 AM »
That's funny OCB.  I just finished working on a movie set in Minnesota (the 11th province don't ya know).   We had a gas station scene on location and they changed the billboard overhead to an ad for Grain Belt beer.  Didn't know it was real (those crazy set dec guys and their research).
On topic, good local Ontario brews:

Kawartha Lakes Cream Ale
Creemore lager
Cameron's lager

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 12:36 AM »

This is a tasty little brew I had in a bar in "The Strip District" in Pittsburgh one night.  It's 8.5%, and from Scotland (Don't let the Viking fool you into thinking it's a Scandanavian brew).  

I liked it a lot, but it ran in at like $6 a bottle I think...  Bit pricey for me to get drunk on.

Skullsplitter was mild enough to chug easily, but had a distinct taste of fizzy whiskey.  It was unique...  I liked it a lot personally, and the neat graphic just made it all the more manly to drink I thought.

My friend tried Golden Monkey at the same time, which is a PA brew and tasted similar to Skullsplitter actually.  Very strong whiskey-ish taste.  I dug it too...  It was 9.5% I think.

Since my partying days aren't what they used to be, I tend to enjoy trying the microbrews now instead of just drinking to get drunk on whatever's cheapest at the time, so I'm finding some nice stuff in Pittsburgh.

Here's Pittsburgh's most famous brewery I'd say (next to the Rolling Rock brewery I suppose), and this place is a must stop if you guys are in the city ever.  

http://www.churchbrew.com/

This is the Church Brew Works in the St. John's Church in Lawrenceville.  It's like 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh if there's no traffic.  Just right up Liberty Avenue...  You can go in the church and just sit and drink for hours, eat a great meal, whatever...  Lots of fun.  It gets real busy and is a fun atmosphere (Pittsburgh has a funny habit of converting churches into nightlife, don't ask me why).

The regular microbrews they carry are:

Celestial Gold
Pious Monk Dunkel
Pipe Organ Pale Ale
Bell Tower Brown Ale

And they have specialties that vary with the seasons and things.  There's a coffee beer that's really got a strong espresso taste to it and pretty decent if you're into coffee as well, and my personal favorite is a blackberry ale that REALLY has a strong berry flavor to it and is just a great beer.  I couldn't imagine what getting sick drunk on it would be like though.  I'd assume it's like getting sick on wine which is a big mistake if you've never had that experience (trust me).

The food's great at this place too.  Wood fired pizzas, sandwiches, dinners...  It's just great.  I had a pulled pork BBQ there that was amazing.  

If anyone's around town, you gotta hit this place up.  It's worth it, trust me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2004, 10:35 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Leininekugel's Family of Beers...been there a couple of times in nearby Chippewa Falls.

Grain belt is real, we had it at our Wedding, in fact it was named Retro Brew of the year by Rolling Stone

One of my favorite things to do on the road is go to Brewhouses, have a steak and some stout, you really can't get any better than that!

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 4, 2004, 09:25 AM »
I typically go for a Guinness, but the doctor told me to cut down a bit of calorie-heavy things, so I'm on a Bud Light kick

*leaves thread embarassed* :)

You might be surpised to learn that Guiness has less calories or carbs or something than most average beers.  Maybe I should go back and re-read that WSJ article so I can learn myself what I mean.

I second that Sapporo!

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 4, 2004, 10:19 AM »
I don't really partake much anymore, but when I did I always enjoyed those fine Belgian Ales, such as Chimay and Ommegang, as well as some of those fine pub draughts like Boddington's and, of course, Guinness. :)