Author Topic: Soundtrack to the Apocalypse  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Soundtrack to the Apocalypse
« on: February 26, 2004, 02:33 PM »
My wife just surprised me with Slayer's 4-disc 'Soundtrack to the Apocalypse' set. It's about a $60 investment and worth every penny!!! Remastered older stuff, unreleased songs, limited release songs, dvd footage dating back to 1983 and just awesome! Garage recordings, interviews and a 50+ page booklet with quotes and killer photos.

I have been really into Lamb of God and "Terror and Hubris" lately, but this is too good and harkens back to a day when it was all new and you could say, "Slayer is the fastest and most evil band ever!"

If you have not gotten it, save up and do. It's chock full o goodies for any Slayer fanatic.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Fettish Sez Thanks

Re: Soundtrack to the Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 03:24 PM »
There's a $100 box set as well with backstage passes and stuff. I almost **** a brick when I saw it at FYE.

In fact, I was watching my Slayer "War at the Warfield" DVD yesterday, and that set came to mind. Unfortunately, it looks like this may have to wait until October.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 04:57 PM »
Saw the $100 one too. Very cool. I have a few fairly limited Slayer items that I treasure.

- Araya pick
- Flyer for an L. A. show with Slayer, Exodus & Venom
- Limited Edition 'Decade of Aggression' with bonus live tracks and it is in a reinforced metal case that is individually #'d.

My buddy had a limited edition ep that came in a sleeve fill with a blood looking substance and glo-in-the-dark skulls or something like that.

I also found out that the early pressings of Show No Mercy (wax) have side 6 & side 66 instead of 1 & 2 or A & B.

Amazing that Slayer have endured 20 years and stayed true to their art.

I also heard a rumor about Paul Bostoph joining the newly ressurected Testament!

And...

Lamb of God & Slayer are slated for Ozzfest. I might actually go...

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 07:19 PM »
I heard the same about Paul.

As for Ozzfest, there's speculation that Slayer, Hatebreed, Superjoint Ritual, and BLS will ALL be there.

I told the girly that I may have to set aside my dislike for Ozzfest kiddies and go see the literal concert of my dreams.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 02:02 AM »
I have been dying to see Slayer. I had tix to see them in 2001 with Pantera (RIP), but the show ended up canceled.

I do loathe Ozzfest. All those Hot Topic kiddies with their 'mommy hates me' angst. Ugh.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I guess Judas Priest with Halford is on the Ozzfest bill too...

Not ashamed to say, that makes it even more attractive to endure the scads of angst ridden teens, posers & those that have started taking the Rave Wave to metal shows.

You know what I'm saying. It's a sea of dudes that are early to mid 20's and they date these high school girls and distort/destroy their innocence and lead them down the path of loserdome. Damn shame.

Used to be just dudes and everyone at the shows was there because they appreciated the music and the energy. Now it's a matter of what flavor of music is 'IN' at that moment... Metal is getting pretty tasty again.

I've seen the naive Slayer fans try and be up front. They don't understand what occurs. It's pure insanity. It's a primal dance of violent aggression and release. Slayer turns a crowd into a sea of... Hell. It's chaotic and instinctual. It is evil and pleasurable.

I was up front once on the Kerry King side. After the 2 opening songs (Reign in Blood & Post Mortum) I was on the Hanneman side without having moved a muscle. I was a part of something that did not make any sense and just flowed with it all...

Really amazing. The effect that Slayer has on people is petty scary, but profound and unique. Love it all!

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 08:45 PM »
I bet. Watching the live performances of "Deciple" and "New Faith" especially on that DVD, I can't help but just say.."F***..me..". It's just..sick, literally.

Guess we'll see if my dreams come true in a few months.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 12:59 AM »
Saw them at a small club when they toured the Undesputed Attitude tour. Sat in the balcony (old renovated theatre) because I knew better and it was the best! John Dette was drumming and he has chops that rival both Lombardo and Bostoph. But being able to watch them perform and not get a boot in the head or a body flting into you was pure joy!

I'm glad we are starting to see renewed interest in metal. It was scary there for awhile...

Slayer never waned though. They saw it through and kept plugging and never missed a beat. I respect them for their work ethic and dedication to their dark art.

I used to blame them for my problems...

I wasn't a very smart or responsible or sober youth. I'd get in deep doo-doo and everytime I did, I'd go sell my slayer albums and say I was going to turn over a new leaf. Not long after that, I'd pick up another album and just repeat it. Have seen and experienced some strange stuff with Slayer as my lifes soundtrack.