Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 180286 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: 2017: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #315 on: July 8, 2017, 01:34 AM »
It's been such a drought of good Star Wars figures that I've been picking up misc other stuff lately.

Grabbed some of Marauder's new Valkyries figures, picked up a couple GI Joe Club Figure Subscription figures from the most recent wave and pre-ordered the entire next series, pre-ordered (with more to come) a Hiya Toys Predator, and have been buying some Lego. That includes a handful of Star Wars sets and the new Creator Space Shuttle, but I've also been watching some classic Lego Space sets and recently picked up one of my most wanted sets, the 928 Galaxy Explorer.

There are a couple SW Forces of Destiny figs I'll grab and I'm sure there will be a TLJ figure or two I'll want. And I'm looking forward to the new Vintage Collection line but that's not until 2018. The most interesting SW figures I've seen over the last couple of months are the new Droid Factory figs from Disney. The WM BS line is so hard to find it's worthless to even look and the roll out of the 40th anniversary 6" line was so botched Hasbro should have just skipped it and paid it lip service like they did the GI Joe 50th.

At this point I'm seriously considering downsizing and keeping just a focused collection of the best of the hero versions and backgrounders, offload the multiple extras of fig versions and pass on the huge collection of vehicles I'll never possibly have room to display.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 8, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I haven't been collecting much for the last few months.  Gentle Giant Mini-Busts, OT Lego and Super 7 ReAction, but that's not keeping me very busy.

And I'm fine with it. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 8, 2017, 08:28 PM »
My focus has been pretty tight lately.  Hasbro Star Wars 3.75" and 6" figures, vehicles.

The only exception are some of the Hasbro Marvel 3.75" figures from the Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #318 on: July 9, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Star Wars: 3.7" such as it is, Bandai 1/12 kits and pocket kits...  Star Wars will always be first even when it's basically dead Last in what I buy these days just due to nothing to buy anywhere.

Acid Rain: probably my first love in a weird way right now but it is spread out some.  There are a good many figures coming this year but little in the way of vehicles besides some repaints.  There's a sdcc and over seas exclusive but neither will be easy to get.  And none of it will be cheap by any means.  They are rereleasing and updating some older figures though  and I appreciate that.  I only hope it continues as I missed the Marine last year and it gnaws at me.

Hiya Aliens/Predator:  my biggest punch to the wallet for toys will be the Hiya Aliens APC at $250 but I'm getting one.  I'll just maybe sell a kidney.  Lots of new figures there too with 6 Predators, 3 Marines and 2 "deluxe" oversized Aliens coming.  Still no queen though which blows.

Model Kits: I buy some models as I see them and they fit the scale I like.  Most of it all fits into 3.75" scale though in some way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 9, 2017, 10:20 PM »
Hiya Aliens/Predator:  my biggest punch to the wallet for toys will be the Hiya Aliens APC at $250 but I'm getting one.  I'll just maybe sell a kidney.

There are a lot of rumors floating around online that the APC is never going to be made. Apparently they can't get enough up front sales or commitments to justify actually producing them, or so the story goes. Can't say I'm surprised, that price tag is just brutal and I don't care what bells and whistles it comes with.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2017, 04:07 PM »

At this point I'm seriously considering downsizing and keeping just a focused collection of the best of the hero versions and backgrounders, offload the multiple extras of fig versions and pass on the huge collection of vehicles I'll never possibly have room to display.

E...

I haven't quite gotten to the point where I've parted with much SW stuff, but I have thought about the vehicles from time to time. I display the OT ones, but I have quite a few PT/CW ones in storage. It was always a "someday" thing with me too, but I don't know that I'll ever have that grand display area so it seems silly to have all this stuff just sitting in boxes. It is tough to let go, and I've regretted it sometimes in the past, but it is getting to the point where it just starts to feel cluttered. I've unloaded a fair amount of "non SW" stuff, but I might have to branch out further. Would probably be better to have the money rather than a bunch if rubbermaids filled with stuff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Not just rumors, Hiya themselves have said preorders are slow for it, but we'll see.  If it's meant to be it'll happen.  I did my part for it and would buy a 2nd if I could justify it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 12, 2017, 01:00 AM »
- Hasbro Star Wars (4 and 6 inch)
- SH Figuarts Star Wars from Japan
- MAFEX Star Wars from Japan
- LEGO Star Wars
- Hasbro Marvel Legends (specifically Spider-Man)
- DC Batman: The Animated Series 6 inch

I've mainly spent the year catching up on LEGO thanks to the huge deals on Amazon, plus getting some of the bigger, expensive UCS sets, and the rest of my money goes to the awesome Japanese Star Wars figures. I haven't bought any BTAS figures in some time but I need to catch back up. I'm basically buying that line and 6 inch Spider-Man villains for nostalgia reasons.

I'm at the point where nearly all of my Hasbro SW 6 inch stuff is still in the original packaging, and the urge to sell it all off keeps getting stronger. I've bought maybe 10 4 inch figures since the TFA Force Friday. It's a rough time to be a Hasbro collector.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #323 on: July 12, 2017, 09:52 AM »
It's a rough time to be a Hasbro collector.

I was talking about this on Twitter a couple weeks ago...  I don't even know if I can call myself a "Star Wars" collector or a "Hasbro" collector anymore.  Less then 20% of my collecting spending this year has been on Star Wars.

I used to be a Hasbro Star Wars collector who dabbled in a few other things, but now, based on my spending, I guess I'm a Boss Fight HACKS collector who dabbles in Gundam figures and sometimes Star Wars.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:52 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #324 on: July 12, 2017, 10:57 PM »
I keep hoping things with Star Wars stabilize but if they don't yeah, it'll be secondary for me.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 13, 2017, 12:05 PM »
My assumption is that the "one movie a year" schedule is wreaking havoc on Hasbro. Having to produce Marvel toys hurts them too. I don't see it a lot since I only frequent Star Wars sites but Marvel aisles are just as bad if not worse as Star Wars. Figures from 3 years ago still on the pegs, tons of overpriced role play items that don't sell, etc
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 13, 2017, 12:20 PM »
I think Diddly nailed it on Star Wars. One movie a year is not beneficial for toy selling.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #327 on: July 13, 2017, 04:54 PM »
I think Diddly nailed it on Star Wars. One movie a year is not beneficial for toy selling.

Absolutely true. I saw on Twitter today that the Rogue One stuff is now on clearance at Target. What, half the line made it to the pegs there? I never saw wave 3 anywhere.

At some point, the licensees are going to run into a brick wall and say screw it.

Back to the topic. I guess it's just Transformers Titans Return, which is the only thing I've had any success collecting this year. I still buy vintage GI Joe when I can. Not very often. I'd say I was a Star Wars collector, but other than the U-Wing I got on clearance at Barnes and Noble, I'm not sure I've bought anything Star Wars since wave 2 of the Rogue One stuff dropped around the movie's premiere.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 13, 2017, 08:38 PM »
My dollars seem to be spread in a lot of smaller directions. Vintage toys, random one-offs like the Monstarz Creepshow figure, and the occasional ReAction or Walking Dead TV figure, both of which are pretty few and far between as a rule. I like that stuff has slowed down a bit though, space is definitely a growing concern.

For Star Wars, I'll keep buying anything they make for Rebels, but at this point I'd be happy just to get Fenn Rau.

6" SW figures are still my mainstay I guess, but I'm starting to rethink those more and more lately. At least the completist aspect of it.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 8, 2017, 05:25 PM »
It's funny, I've been reading through some older threads here this week (nostalgia), and it is kind of funny reading our comments. Lots of "how much more can they possibly make?" or "I'm pretty much wrapped up with....." comments (myself included). Funny seeing us comment on how Marvel Legends was probably going to be scraping the bottom.....in 2004. Now we are getting more than ever, 13 years later.

It seems like a lot of us are narrowing other focuses for the most part, judging by the number of posts we see on the "other" forums anymore. Outside of Star Wars, i really only buy Legends any more. As I've bee going through things lately though, I could probably stand to cut back there too. I think they are doing an amazing job with the line, but I just don't have room anymore. Getting to the point where I want to work on my collection display looking nice, and not just high quantity and cluttered.