Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179851 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2006: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #60 on: January 3, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Will Definitely Collect:
-Star Wars 3 3/4 Basic Figure Line
-Non-Star Wars LEGO Sets (My other hobby)

Will Maybe Collect:
-Halo 7' Line
-Star Wars 3 3/4 Vehicles
-Star Wars 3 3/4 Playsets
-Star Wars 3 3/4 Ultra/Deluxe

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #61 on: January 4, 2006, 07:41 PM »
I'm hoping to actually get back into collecting in 2006, hopefully sooner than later.  My wife is now out of school and we should have a few extra bucks around tax refund time, so with any luck I'll be able to pick up a piece here and there.

My plan is to get back to the basics, the way things were when I started in 1996.  I pretty much just have an interest in vintage stuff anymore, and my vintage collection had gone through countless changes over the past couple of years before having to sell everything.  I'd like to get back to buying what I thought was cool and at a good price, without worrying about whether it will fall into some focus or other self-imposed limitation.  I plan on picking up some SW, Clash of the Titans, Battlestar, and Black Hole.  Maybe even some G. I. Joe and MOTU if I feel the urge. 

As far as new stuff goes, I have pretty much given up on anything that is made for collectors, so I don't think I'll be buying much of anything that was released after 1990.  :)  The only exceptions that I can think of for the moment would be the Clash of the Titans stuff from Gentle Giant, and maybe one of the Palisades Alien busts (the original version from a couple of years ago).

John

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2006, 02:11 PM »
  I've dubbed 2006 as "The Year of the Kubrick" for me. I've decided to sell off most of my misc toy collection and concentrate solely on the Crack-bricks. In the last 11 days since the ball dropped i've managed to get:

- every series of SW Kubrick except for 2
- 400% Han Trooper
- the 1st TRU Box Set
- Luke Stormtrooper, Vinyl Jawa, Endor Han and White Sandtrooper chases
- complete set of 6 Batman Movie figures MOC
- DCD Batman set
- complete regular set of 6 Batman Comic figures
- Child's Play 2: Chucky Babekub
- Planet of the Apes boxsets G and H
- 10 assorted Marvel. Disney and Kellogg's figures
- BTTF Marty, Doc, Jennifer and Einstein figures

So for the rest of 2006 i'm going to try and complete my SW collection as well as Batman and Marvel Kubs and anything else that strikes me (400%, Muppets, Sesame, etc...)

I haven't given up on all other figures though. I still collect Mezco's Family Guy and Hellboy lines and I am eagerly anticipating NECA's Cult Classics series 3/4 and SOTA's Now Playing. Not to mention any other figure that just catches my eye as I stumble through the toy aisles...
  This is going to be an expensive year...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2005: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Here's where I see myself heading in the new year... which is VERY similar to last year - only had to substitute "2006 Saga" for "Rots" in the first paragraph.

Star Wars
With RotS 2006 Saga, I'll stick to my basics.  2 of each of the NEW basic figures (1 to open, 1 to keep carded), 1 of each of the recards/repaints (to keep carded), 1 of each of the NEW deluxe/ultra type figures, NEW vehicles, NEW box sets, etc.  I don't buy repack vehicles (usually).  The only thing I keep packaged is one of every basic figure carded.  Everything else gets opened.  I'll also probably continue to pick up some (not all) of the Galactic Hero 2-packs to stash away. 

No Unleashed, no Master Replicas, no Gentle Giant busts or Bust-Ups, no Code 3 vehicles, no 12" stuff, no Sideshow Statues, no Attakus statues, no Kotobukaiya statues/models, no Die Cast vehicles, no Micro-Machine vehicles, no Action Fleet vehicles, no Jedi Force figures, no SW board games, no Wookiee super-soakers, no more WotC minatures, no Hallmark ornaments, no posters, no replica helmets, no Attacktix figures, no SW plush "buddies", no SW Choppers, no Mini-Unleashed, etc etc etc.

Kubricks
I'll pick up any new Batman stuff (villians and major characters such as Gordon, Alfred or NW) and of course any new Star Wars figures/sets.

DC Direct
I'll pick up some of the Green Lantern Wave planned for March to add to my Green Lantern shelf and most likely a few other GL items to add to the growing shrine...  ;)

That's about it I guess... unless something new pops up!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2006, 01:30 AM »
This year I plan on cutting back on Hasbro.  I probably won't be buying vehicles, deluxe or Battle Pack sets or pretty much anything that's not a 3.75" figure.  I'm sticking to 1 of each new figure or a re-pack/kit-bashed figure if it has been significantly updated in some way (paint, head, arms, etc).  All loose.  My carded days are over.  Along the way I'd also like to get a set of the 12 holos.

The exceptions to the rules are the AT-AT Driver and any Republic Gunship items Hasbro sees fit to produce.  I'd like a carded AT-AT Driver with each holo available because they fall under "carded variations" and the AT-AT Driver is my focus character.  Plus I want a couple loose because it looks to be an amazing figure.

Hopefully this path will free up some cash for the year.  I'll probably buy the odd Titanium but no more Galactic Heroes and I'll be a little more picky on the exclusives.  I plan on buying a few of the SS 12" figures and probably a GG bust or two.  There are two .45 scale MR lightsabers I want and, depending on how they look, a couple of the new blasters they're talking about.  I don't see any more Code 3 items in the future either.

There are a couple holes in my collection that I'd like to plug including trading cards, WOTC Minis and a handful of miscellaneous other items.  Oh, and in 2006 I'm going to finally buy that friggin' Blue Snaggletooth figure I've been needing to complete my vintage collection.

I've debated replacing SW with something else but I don't know.  My other collecting habit over the past few years has been 12" GI Joe figures, but with them done at retail for now I don't see much money being spent in that area.  Maybe I'll use some free time to customize some figures out of parts I already have...or start rescuing vintage figures from eBay and refurbishing them.  I've picked up a few of the new Sigma 6 figures and there are at least 3 more I want to get; Cobra Commander (who just showed up at retail), Storm Shadow and Scarlet when she comes out.

Anyway, like I said, I'm hoping to free up a lot of cash this year.  Pay off some bills and work towards my goal of buying a house.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2006, 09:12 PM »
I see I didn't do this last year...weirdola, anyway here is my new list

Lines I'm collecting:
-Star Wars

Non-completist though I will pick up the majority of "new" stuff.  Including POTF2 repaints and Kitbashes.  No vehicles (unless there is an exclusive figure), No beasts, no other junk
-Marvel Legends & Classics (not everything though, mostly Avengers and Character I knew from the 80's)
-Kubricks (All SW and the rest depends on the Subject Matter)
-Minnesota Teams SportsPicks (I believe that is so far just Johan Santana)

Lines that I will cut off:
-Lord of the Rings

It's the end of the line, only 2 more new figures and I'll be done!

Lines I expect to Pick Up 2006:
-Sesame Street (for my sons and if they come out)

Line I am Sorely Tempted By:
None

Checking back to the beginning of 2004 I was in to a lot more thing, I've really done well scaling back in my collecting.  I bought a few big ticket items such as the 400% Kubricks, RAH Vader and a couple of GG Busts, otherwise I'm proud of where I am at

I'm also relieved Marvel Legends and LOTR is almost over.  Less hassle and less to go after.  SW may die soon as well and then I may be all done :P

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2006, 09:44 PM »
This year I'm going to buy some of the OT  Saga and VOTC if they are new.  I really like the SA Clones so I'll probably buy many of those.  Any OT SW LEGO sets.

Other lines I'll collect this year:

1. Batman LEGO
2. Marvel Legends - no chases
3. Spider-Man, X-Men and FF classics.
4. Nightmare Before Christmas - NECA and Medicom
5. Hasbro DTC 3 3/4" GI Joe if based on ARAH parts.
5.5 New Orleans Con set. Master Collector sets.
6. Some DC Direct.
7. Hasbro DC
8. Transformers - Alternators and a few others

Old stuff:

1. SW Kubrick - I'm a little late getting started but I may backfill these.
2. 1982-1992 GI Joe Cobra army builders

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2006, 12:09 AM »
For me, it's not much.  I'm not the wealthiest fellow, and my life's financial complexities have increased since my personal life's gotten more involved, so toys I have weeded out over the years...

For instance I've cut the 12" line out completely though I'd LOVE to be picking up the SideShow SW line and LOTR lines. 

LOTR I cut off and should probably sell what I have that my brother doesn't want.

Starcom, a little line from the 80's I used to love, I've omitted totally, and should sell what I have there as well.  I keep thinking I'd get back into it, but I don't.

I've got my SW basic habit down to just the 3.75" figures.  I don't buy all ultra/deluxe ($10 pricepoint) items anymore...  Just what I really dig.  This saved me $20 just for the Palpatine and Obi-Wan figures for ROTS, haha.  :)

If Hasbro does go with Chase Figures for the basic line, I'm going to be cutting down to just what I like as well.  I refuse to pay above retail (unless it's shipping) on anything.  I haven't since the line began, I won't start now.  I'd feel defeated by the big H then.

Army building's a big part of my 3.75" habit so I'll be certain to do that this year if I can...

Customizing's my other habit...  I've been slacking all last year, likely will this year some too. :)

Other lines I'm going to be buying though:

-21st Century Toys and more particular, their XD 1:18 military line.  I've cut out ships/choppers on this line though, and I'll be sticking to figures, and land based vehicles (tanks, armor, artillery, playsets, and figures with army building a focus).  21st's harder to find than Star Wars though so yeah, another headache. :)

-BBI's Elite Force...  I missed on their tank, and I haven't seen the latest WW2 figures, but I buy the modern as I see them, have the WW2 Jump Paratroopers...  I'm going to be cutting out modern vehicles all together though, no doubt, and sticking to just modern figures.  WW2 will be my vehicle focus.  I mean, 1:18 tanks take up a lotta space as you get many of them. 

-Other random 1:18 military things...  I'd be happy to get other things to complement the last two lines I'm collecting.  That's more a "see it and buy it" thing though.  I know of no other planned 1:18 military lines.

And that's it.

My girlfriend has kids, and they've been into SW this past year, so that's cut into what I can spend on me...  I try to keep them up with some of the figures they really want.  Right now, finding 3 Boba Fett's for her kids and their friend is a bitch.

That's it for me though...

I'd love to have gotten some GI Joes, but I'm maintaining my composure and not jumping on that line.

I got an RC tank on clearance (1:18 XD tank) and holy **** this thing is fun.  I can't give up this line, it's too friggin' great.  It's all quality the SW line needs to keep up with.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I've been really trying to evaluate what I'm collecting, because I need to (continue to) cut back this year.  Between some of the collectibles, and a few comics, its just becoming too expensive.  Have any of you changed (or thinking about) what you are collecting this year?  Some of it I try to justify, because I'm thinking (maybe part of me hoping) that there won't be as much out there that I'll want to collect next year.  Marvel Legends may or may not be ending (or changing), Star Wars may or may not be scaled back, and the JLU figures I collect should be winding down soon.  Here's what I collect now, in order of importance:

Star Wars
Basic Figure Line (Basic, VTSC, Vehicles, Beasts, etc.) - Not completist, just what I like.  Focusing more on OT, but some PT stuff as well (ROTS in particular)

Vintage Star Wars - Ongoing, picking up a few loose figures when I can.  Its been awhile now, but I eventually want to get a complete, loose collection.

Unleashed - The large scale.  If it is coming back, I'd hope to continue with these.  I've focused mainly on OT pieces here too, with a few PT ones.

Galactic Heroes - Ditto for above, focusing mainly on OT - but I've picked up more PT stuff this year as well.  These are cheap enough, I think I can continue them.

Marvel/DC
Marvel Legends/Classics - This is the biggest "other" line for me.  I started off focusing on Spidey and the X-Men, but that has branched out as this line has continued.  I'm really debating on what I really need from all of this year's offerings.  Its tough to choose.  I thought about scaling back to just Spidey's world, but there are a few others I'd like to pick up.  I'd like to finish off some of the "big guns" I'm missing (Daredevil, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor), and maybe a few other X-Men figures (Kitty Pryde, older ones I'm missing - Storm, Phoenix).  There are others I want as well, but I should really find a way to scale this back.

DC Superheroes - Sounds like this is just Batman/Superman for the next couple of years, and that's ok (although a Flash - and other JLA - would be great).  This is a fairly limited line, with only four waves this year, so it shouldn't be a big problem.  Just picking up a couple villains/supporting characters from the Batman waves, and most/all of the Superman ones.

Justice League Unlimited - I started off just wanting my favorites - Superman, Batman, Flash - then branched into the "Big 7", then through three packs starting branching out further.  I have quite a bit of what has been released, probably the majority overall, but I'm starting to get into characters I really know nothing about.  I'm a fan of the show, so that has made it more tempting, but I think I might have to cut this back or totally off.  Maybe just a few more figures (isn't that the mantra?) ::)

Other than that, those are the only "lines" I've been collecting.  Of course, my wife considers if I even pick up one of a particular line, I'm "collecting" it.  There are always other things that interest me - Kubricks, Minimates, some of the Gentle Giant Busts/Bust Ups, Sideshow's 12" line, Master Replicas - but I can't afford the majority of it.  Many of those lines I'd just want a couple of things from, so maybe that would help.  Anyways, has anyone else had to re-evaluate their collecting recently?  I know I'm trying to focus in what I really want, and have to make some tough choices as to some things to pass on from now on.  It is just getting too expensive anymore, and I'm running out of space anyways.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2006, 08:33 PM »
I reevaluated at the beginning of the year.  So far I've passed on all the Saga figures that were repacked or didn't meet with expectations.  I cut out Galactic Heroes and after the ARC 170 I'm done with the 6" Titanium.  I never got into the new 2" Unleashed but I do want the upcoming set with the AT-AT Driver.

I haven't bought any Lego sets since I snagged the Turbo Tank last fall and I've actually sold off a couple sets and I'm kind of planning on selling more in the near future.

I spent some of that extra cash I've been saving on completing my Animated Clone Wars Character Keys and I've got pre-orders on the SS 12" figures but I'm thinking that I may not collect all of them.  I really want Mace though.

I have picked up a couple Sigma Six figures but I'm done with that line now unless they do a Scarlet figure.  Other than 2 DTC figures I haven't bought anything else that wasn't SW related.

I'm just going to go with my plans for reduced 3.75" figures and I still plan on filling in some older holes in the collection.  Plus I'm wrestling with the thought of downsizing and I'll probably make a call on that by the PSWCS summer social in June.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2006, 01:27 PM »
With a number of people re-evaluating their collections, dropping in/out of lines - I thought I'd bring this one back to the top since we're about halfway through the year.  Anyone's collecting strategies changed up?  I'm quickly running out of space, so I'm really starting to think about what I really want displayed in my collection - and might be dropping some things, or packing things up, or both.

Star Wars

3 3/4" Line (Modern) - Mostly OT, but some PT (ROTS in particular, and any "ultimate" main characters we might get).  Vehicles, beasts, and everything that goes with it - if its new or I don't have it, again sticking with OT for the most part.  Also hope to continue a loose vintage figure collection, but that's been put on the backburner for some time with all the modern spending.

Galactic Heroes - Not much this year, waiting for the new OT sets to hit.

Unleashed (7" Scale) - Again, not much, but I picked up two of the Wal-Mart wave.  Have to see where this line is heading from here.

Other Stuff

Marvel Legends/Classics - Focusing on Spider-Man, but collecting from other areas as well.  This is my other "big" line that I follow, and I'll probably always collect these - at least the Spidey world if nothing else.  One of my favorite things to collect though, its just turned out to be such an expansive collection.

DC Superheroes - Same as before - just Superman and Batman so far in this line, and I'm collecting some of each.  I've passed on some too though.  I'd go a bit further if this license ever expands, the Flash in particular.  JLU is in this "area" as well, and I have quite a few, but I'm thinking I might have to cut this line to reign in the spending, etc.

Pretty much the same for me, but I'm really going to have to scale back at this point, or pack things away.  Star Wars 3 3/4" is top priority, then the other stuff is on a case by case basis.  With the talk in other threads of what is the most important part of your collections, I think for me it is the basic SW figures and then Spidey stuff.  After that, the rest is gravy I guess :P.  The higher end SW stuff continues to interest me (Mini Busts, Sideshow 12", and MR in particular), but I can't afford much of it at this point.  1 Sideshow figure and 1 Mini Bust on preorder right now, we'll have to see beyond that.  I think if I wanted to get further into this stuff, I'd have to cut back on Hasbro stuff considerably.  Not sure I could do that.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Here's what I'm currently collecting:
-Star Wars 3 3/4 Basic Figures
-Some Star Wars 3 3/4 Scale Vehicles
-Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 Basic Figures
-Corps!

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2006, 07:30 AM »
My Star Wars collecting has been very specific lately but not all that hard to deal with since I have branched out in other areas...

Star Wars 3 3/4" - Classic Trilogy (In & Out of package)
Star Wars 3 3/4" - Jedi/Sith figures (Openers)
Star Wars 3 3/4" Scaled ships - Classic Trilogy & Jedi/Sith (Openers)
Stargate SG-1 (Openers)
Movie Toys (These are toys made by McFarlane, NECA, SOTA, etc of movies that I like or own on DVD.)
Pirates of the Caribbean (Both Series)(Openers)
Marvel Legends (Only X-Men related figures)(Openers)
McFarlane St. Louis Cardinals figures (Openers) (Only missing one)
McFarlane Nolan Ryan figures (Openers) (DONE for now)
McFarlane Minnesota Team Figures (Openers) (DONE for now)
JAKKS Pacific WWE Wrestlers (Personal favorites)(Openers)

Plus the old SLU's of McGwire & Nolan Ryan, but that collection is offically done and over with.

Check out my collection that is on display at present.

I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2006, 09:22 AM »
Star Wars 3 3/4" is all I've really been collecting since Playmates ended it Star Trek run.
I'm picking up select Battlestar Galactica Titaniums right now, but that's it other than Star Wars.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2006, 11:25 AM »
I've been sticking pretty much to 3.75" Star Wars figures this year.  I've only picked up new characters or new sculpts that were better versions of previously released figures (Boushh, AT-AT Driver, etc).  For the first time, though, I added several Troopers to my collection when I bought 12 Utapau Clones.  I just loved the paint scheme and they look cool with Cody.

I've also pre-ordered most of the 12" Sideshow figures for the year but I'm thinking about cancelling a couple of them.  I wasn't psyched with Luke, Anakin is really nice and I'm looking forward to Obi-Wan, Mace and Han but we'll see.

Also picked up the two newest Acme Archives Character Keys (Padme and ARC Trooper). 

I had the opportunity to pick up a couple Kubrick figures for good prices so I may actually work backwards and fill in some holes on the regular release figures.   

My major purchase for the year so far, though, is the GI Joe collector's club convention exclusive set.  It's an Adventure Team set that's really cool and I finally talked myself into it.

But I need to cut back some.  Already saving for C4.

E...