Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179888 times)

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: 2008: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #150 on: October 8, 2008, 12:21 PM »
There are a couple lines that are ending or have rumored to end so I am consolidating too.

Star Wars Toys - 3.75" figures from Oringinal Trilogy, Jedi's, Exclusives, Figures with BAD parts (if continuing), A few ships (mostly Jedi related), Comic Packs & anything else that catches my eye.

Star Wars Others - Mini-Lightsabers & FX Sabers if eFX ever gets it's act in gear.

Indy Toys - Line is rumored to be ending so I am done. Will pick up Indy & Indy family figures if line continues.

Stargate (Atlantis & SG-1) - Hasn't been any new SG-1 toys in nearly a year, and the only thing coming is a Daniel Jackson/Teal'c 2 pack due out later this year, and there is a 3rd and most likely final wave of Atlantis toys coming later this year. With the cancellation of the Atlantis show there is nothing really supporting continued release of these toys except for straight to DVD movies. This line is most likely dead.

Marvel Legends - Rumored to be done at the end of the year. Will not be collecting the 3.75" figures that they have coming out.

Sports figures - Still will pick up the Cardinals & Twins figures if any more are made by McFarlane.

Movie Toys - Thinking about the Harry Potter NECA figures, but seriously considering being done as I am not as enthused about the series any more as I once was.

2009 looks to be...

Star Wars & McFarlane Sports figures - That's is.

UPDATE 10/14 - Looks like DST/Art Assylum is saying that they are going to continue the Stargate lines so this wave is back on my list.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:03 PM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2008, 03:56 PM »
Yeah, a lot of the "other" stuff I'm interested in is ending or dwindling - so I guess that helps me cut back in a way.  Its easier to not buy if the option isn't there :).  Besides the lack of space that we've all encountered it seems, the economy/budgetary stuff plays a big role in it for me as well.  It looks like 3 3/4" figures priced at or around $8 is becoming closer to the "norm", and its possible that larger scaled (6") figures might be headed closer to $15 eventually as well.  In the case of Star Wars, if you couple the higher prices with the seemingly increasing rate of figures released each year (60+ in non-movie years seems normal now), it gets more difficult to keep up.  My collecting budget is really going to have to be cut back next year, so I'm already considering what will be the first/last to go.  I've said it before, but I'd be fine if Hasbro toned down the number of releases a little bit.  I guess I could make it easier myself and just cut out the "other" stuff - easier said than done.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Boy, not a lot it seems.  Every so often I splurge on higher end stuff but I've been rather surprised at how little I'm buying these days. 

SW Hasbro - down to just single figs and only what I want.  Going to try and cut back on the figs that I might buy and figs I already have.  Carded stuff aside from vintage is done unless they do a VOTC Jawa or DSC.  BADs are annoying. 

Sideshow/Master Replicas
MR Vader helmet - maybe - if I can score one for $500 or less.  Then I'd probably sell off the prequel stuff
MR Obi Wan weathered hilt (2500 edition size) - probably but not many for sale.

Kubricks
I'll buy a box of series 10 next year and will see on whatever box/card stuff shows up.

Gentle Giant
relatively little.  Imperials/clones is about it for the most part.  I'll get the Airborne Trooper, Galactic Marine, Tie Pilot and Imperial Officer, otherwise not much.  Maquettes if I can find the OT stuff for $40 or less prior to shipping.  Bustups if they start.

Marvel Legends
Spidey's Friends & Family box set.  FFF and maybe a fig or two here or there.  I'm pretty complete.

DC Classics Limited stuff here

Indiana Jones - plan is for 3/75" figs only and only what I want -  :'(

Hot Wheels/Greenlight Collectibles
Embarassingly I'm more interested in diecast these days than anything else.  Greenlight stuff is really nice but pricey at $5 a pop.  Still really only doing 60s/70s muscle cars and predominantly the Mustang/Camaro/Firebird stuff with some MOPAR mixed in.   

McFarlane - mostly just waiting on Kirby

NECA, etc. - what catches my fancy.  Which is mostly nothing. 

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2008, 08:08 PM »
Mezco- Hellboy 7in figures.

Star Wars- Saga legends and some clone wars 3.75. No vehicles though tryen to save money.

Gonna pick up some Dc universe characters like deathstroke and any others that interest me. Also starten to buy some Marvel legends. Mostly depends on the prices though.
Momar and Fester

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2009: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Well, now that we've seen much of this year's offerings through NYCC and Toy Fair, I thought it might be a good time to bump this topic back up.  What lines are you looking to collect in 2009?  Are you cutting back more, or adding in new ones?  Personally, my collecting budget is quite a bit smaller this year with work stuff changing and all of that - and plus, I was due to start condensing a bit anyways.  Display and/or storage space is at a premium now and its time to be choosier with what I buy.  That being said, here's what I'm thinking for '09:

Star Wars - Still in for the basic figures, and the Legacy Collection stuff is top priority for me.  What we've seen so far looks great, and it seems like Hasbro's really been doing some solid work lately.  With Clone Wars, I've been buying them so far, but will likely be much more selective going forward.  I may have to stop altogether there, but we'll see.  Just budgetary reasons.  I had decided to stick to OT only for vehicles, but some of the new CW ones shown lately make it more tempting.  So - vehicles, figure w/vehicle (deluxe), exclusives, etc. will be on a pick and choose basis.  I think I'm dropping back to only Original Trilogy offerings with the Galactic Heroes, as those two packs are up to $8 now.  I recently got the Snowspeeder set though, and really like it.

Marvel/DC - Comic stuff continues to be my "2nd priority" as it were.  I'm finding that its getting more and more difficult to display the larger figures, so I'm more selective there.  The Legends stuff is all but dead it seems, and I'll be picking and choosing the DCUC line (mainly Gotham-related and the "big guns" of the DCU).  I think I'm in the minority, but I'm likely buying into the upcoming Marvel Universe line.  I'll at least grab a few and see how I like them.  Still picking up SuperHero Squad packs here and there, since our daughter loves playing with those.

MOTUC - I've got them all (aside from King Grayskull) so far, and hope to continue for awhile with the characters/figures I like/remember.  Again, budget will be the big decider here.  I really like the ones I have so far, and despite being over priced, it really is a nice line.

Other than that, I think that will be it for me for 2009.  If I have the money, I'll pick and choose in other areas (G.I. Joe if there's more 25th stuff, "higher end" Star Wars like mini busts, FX sabers, and perhaps a couple Sideshow 12" figures), but it all depends on what type of collecting money is available at the time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:17 PM by Brian »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Here's what's on-deck for me:

Star Wars - Willrow Hood

The End
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2009, 09:08 PM »
I've been scaling back for a while and have gotten down to where I'm only collecting certain characters or groups of characters.  I'm collecting all ranges though, from 4" figures up to busts & statues.

Marvel - Female characters, mostly X-Men focused.

DC - Only Batman/Gotham villains.  I have considered throwing some of Batman himself in there...we'll see.

Star Wars - Original ESB Bounty Hunters only. 

G.I.Joe - Destro & Scarlett only (I was reeealy hoping for Sideshow to announce a 12-incher of one of these two for "Toy Fair").

This has helped me be a lot more selective and focus my collecting a bit.

John

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2009, 10:00 PM »
Star Wars- Old man ben, both Hoth Troopers, and the Rebel Pilot evo pack ONLY if it comes to Canada which it probably wont. Besides that I am skipping on everything else

only other thing I will be "collecting" is the last 2 Dragonball z season dvd sets I need. all other funds will be directed towards a new computer and tuition for next year.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2009, 10:17 PM »
I'm cutting back hugely this year.

STAR WARS - In the basic figure line, I'm gonna finish off the ANH wave and then be done for awhile. The price increase just killed it for me. I'll probably still pick up the TPM wave for the mail-away offer, plus the occasional OT figure (cantina stuff, ICMG, etc.) but other than that I'm done with the basic figures. I will still remain a Muggaholic, and I'll buy the two Internet exclusive waves, and the TRU exclusives if they're any good. But I do think the future of the Mighty Muggs line doesn't look good, so if the line dies, then I'll just be happy with what I got and move on. I'm quickly running out of space for these things anyway. And last but not least, now that I have a job, I'm gonna probably get into Gentle Giant stuff. I got the Jawa maquette for my birthday last year and I love it. Yesterday I picked up my first mini-bust, Shaak Ti, and I love it. I'll definitely try to buy all of the Jedi mini-busts to go with her, and maybe a few maquettes as well just because I can. So that's just about it for Star Wars stuff this year.

INDIANA JONES - Oh yeah...the line's dead. Never mind. >:( :'(

HEROES - I want one figure and one figure only, the Haitian, to go with the HRG figure I already have. That's all I'm gonna let myself buy from this line, as much as I like it.

That's about it. I'll update if I think of anything else.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I'm going to limit myself to only a select few of the basic figures (I'll be more tempted by the waves w/ an Astro-BAD).  I want the Ugnaughts, the Hoth Troopers and Needa.
The only comic pack I'm really interested in so far is the Ewok 3 pack.
I am definitely getting the Evolution of the Commandos set.
I'm probably going to pick up all of the Star Wars MM that come out.  Just might take me a bit to get the online exclusives.
I'll definitely be getting the WM BAD set of 5, and I'll probably get the Target 2packs as well (not sure the exact name).
I'll probably get a few of the medium to medium large LEGO kits.  I'd love to get the AT-OT/Cargo-Gunship, but that's not going to happen without help from the Megamillions...  I'll probably get the Twilight though, and then a couple of the $30-$50 ones.
There are a couple of the GH sets that are interesting (The Adm. Ackbar set), but nothing I'm going to chase after as the 2 packs tend to get rereleased so there's the chance to play catch up.
And I'll need to get the Stormtrooper Commander from SWS.

Other than that I think I'll try and pick up a few of the Astromechs that I didn't get a chance to get in earlier years (R4-M9, R4-I9, R3-A2, etc.)

Oh and theres a few books coming out, or recently released that I'll be getting.  Along with the first season of the Clone Wars when that's released on DVD.
I can't think of any other licenses that I plan to collect this year.
I am not the Stig

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Star Wars- still a fairly interesting line to me, plus I like the BAD thing. I didn't get the Falcon or AT-TE last year, and I likely won't get the Turbo Tank either. I don't think I've purchased a vehicle since Obi-Wan's Utapau Starfighter was rereleased in the 30AC. So just basic figures for me, with the occasional Evo pack here and there.

MOTUC- have them all except King Grayskull, and since this line is very expensive, I cut out a lot of things. After seeing the protos for Man-At-Arms and Hordak, I'm in this line for as long as Mattel is interested in it.

I'm glad that the GI Joe and TF lines are all lamed up with movie toys this year. I'll get the 7-packs from GI Joe, and Ratchet from the Universe line, but other than that, these lines are done for me this year.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Star Wars - I'm buying most of the Legacy figures this  year, at least all that's been announced so far.  The Build-a-Droids are very cool, but I'm a big droid fan anyway.  I'm in for a couple comic packs, the Evolutions and both the Target and WM 2-packs.  Only BP I'm buying for certain is the Scramble on Yavin and while I want the gunship turrets, I'm boycotting that BP on principle.  The CW line has some fun items but I haven't bought a lot and I think I'll buy less as we go along.  The vehicles line has some interesting things coming, I'm definitely in on the Tx-130 Tank and probably the MagnaGuard fighter but beyond that, I don't know yet.  Didn't buy the Falcon or AT-TE last year either and probably won't get the Tank this year.  And I have a huge problem playing $60 for vehicles that cost $30 - $45 in the past so no X-Wing, Y-Wing or whatever else they stick in there.  The only exception, and it'll have to be a big one, is if they do another Gunship (I'll bitch, but I'll probably pony up like I did last year with the $50 WM ship).  No more Titanium (except Republic Gunships), no Muggs, no role play, no Unleashed or Transformers (exception again for any RG).

Lego - I've only bought one new set in the last two years and that was the new 7676 Republic Gunship.  This year, however, I plan on getting that Dropship if I have to beg, borrow or steal the $250 for it. 

GI Joe 3.75"- I'm phasing this out.  I'm already more caught up in it that I ever intended.  I'm going to finish the MASS Device, though, and I may keep some of the figures that I already have, but I don't foresee buying any more. Not buying movie figs, vehicles or whatever else they have planned.

GI Joe 12" - I had high hopes for the new GI Joe items when they were announced but the releases haven't been that good.  Hasbro is using some of the cheapest bodies they have and while some of the accessories aren't that bad, overall they're disappointing.  This goes for the Indy line as well.  Someone over at Hasbro lost the touch when it comes to sculpting 12" heads...either that or they're using a new factory to produce, because some of them are suffering from having pin-heads and the skin color on that Indy German is almost creepy it's so grey.  2009 doesn't look much better for the movie figures but what I have been picking up are a few of the Modellers Loft 40th anniversary Action Man figurs.  Very nice, but expensive.  I'll probably pick up a few more before they sell through.  Plus the GI Joe Club is offering a few things this year that look nice that I'll snag.  I have mixed feelings on what the club exclusive will be for the convention this year.  On one hand I hope it's cool but on the other I hope it's something I can pass on as I don't think I can afford it.  We'll see.

Transformers - I've only picked up a couple movie figures from the first film so I don't see buying anything here although there's a new Stingray that I just saw in the TF coverage that looks good.  I haven't looked at too many spoilers or toy announcements for the new film so my plans may change as they did 2 years ago and I may end up with a couple here or there.

Indiana Jones - I should be gearing up for that second RotLA wave!  Bah.  I still have a several Crystal Skeletons on their way.  And if I could find that second 12" Mutt w/ leather jacket figure I'd buy it.  Other than that, though, I spent almost as much cash on Indy in 2008 as I did SW so it'll actually be better for the budget that the line is over.

Marvel - I'm still holding on to thoughts of adding a couple figures from the new 3.75" line but my original plan was to pick them up to go with the Joe figures.  Since I'm quitting Joe I'll probably not buy as many of these as I originally thought.  If they do a Gambit and Rogue (depending on their outfit) I'll probably get them.  Probably get a Wolverine figure, just because...but I don't know if I'll get any figs from the Wolverine movie or from the regular Marvel line.

Sideshow - I'm done with Sideshow, for any line, with the only exception being an AT-AT Driver. 

Gentle Giant - I've never been a completist with GG and I only buy the mini busts anyway.  I've already got a pre-order in for the AT-AT Driver and I want Aayla and Shaak Ti (from 2008).  Of the new busts shown off I want the Darth Talon and the McQuarrie Fett.  Have to see what else they offer up this year.  I'm thinking I'll buy more than I did in 2008 but not more than I have in the past.

Other stuff - I'm not buying random toys like I used to.  Pretty much focused on Star Wars this year and mainly on the Hasbro toys at that.  I do leave room for exceptions.  I didn't plan on the Indy line last year but ended up buying into it so you never know, something really tempting might pop up.  I have to focus collections; I buy anything AT-AT Driver and anything Republic Gunship, so anything from any company this year based on them will probably get me to drop cash.

I'm hoping for a less expensive year just because everything outside the hobby is falling apart and this is pretty much all I do for fun these days.

E...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:51 PM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2009, 11:51 PM »
Boy, not a lot it seems.  Every so often I splurge on higher end stuff but I've been rather surprised at how little I'm buying these days. 

That line really still applies.

SW Hasbro - down to just single figs and only what I want.  Haven't bought any in months.  I'll pick up OT stuff I like, probably astromech droids and that's about it.  I can see myself getting more than just astromechs given weak will power, but the 3.75" stuff really isn't thrilling me that much these days.  Willrow!

Sideshow/Master Replicas
MR Vader helmet - maybe - if I can score one for $500 or less.  Then I'd probably sell off the prequel stuff
MR Obi Wan weathered hilt (2500 edition size) - probably but not many for sale.

Still waiting on both of these and will hopefully get them in time.  I think I'm going to unload my Star Corps, 501st and Shock Trooper helmets.  That would leave me with only Gree and the Stormtrooper

Kubricks
Still ok buying these even with price increases given so few come out.  I'm lucky in that I have a Japanese friend that can help out with lots of items, but not being a completeist helps mightily.

Gentle Giant
relatively little.  Imperials/clones is about it for the most part.  Snowtrooper, Tie Pilot are on tab for sure, but off secondary market.  Still waiting on Obi/Emperor maquettes and then see what else.  90% certain I'll opt out of the PGM this year.

Marvel Legends
Fill some holes and parse the collection after I get it out of boxes.  What I like, no more. If I buy the 3.75" stuff, it'll be off secondary market at reduced prices. 

DC Classics Limited stuff here; half a dozen figures total. 

Hot Wheels/Greenlight Collectibles
Will keep up with what I want out of these, but based on annoucements I'm looking at maybe 10 cars/$50 total, so no big deal at all.  If I grab chase cars, probably add another $200. 

McFarlane - still waiting on Kirby.  Jets Doan and Selanne2 Jets are strong possibilities, unless they go to the newer style that sucks.  Changing it saved me money already. 

NECA, etc. - what catches my fancy.  Which is mostly nothing. 

I'd guess this year I'm looking at spending maybe $1000 or so.  Obviously that would double if I went after the Obi hilt and the Vader helmet. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Star Wars - occasional figure here and there.

DCUC - Pretty much everything.  I'm a big DC fan, and the whole C&C figure thing has hooked.  Too bad these things are impossible to get.

MOTU - wasn't planning on getting these, and then I saw Skeletor.  Nice figures.  Too bad they're overpriced.

Gentle Giant - Looks like there are a number of OT busts coming out this year that I want.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Much to my wife's enjoyment it is another year of decrease.

Series   
   Type   
   Notes   
Star Wars3.75" Original TrilogyEverything, but I am trying to avoid kit bashers.
Jedi KnightsFrom all EU, OT, & Prequels. This does include Grievous as he comes with Lightsabers.
Jedi ShipsYes I know they are all the same ship just painted differently, but I like them.
OT ShipsOnly new ships they haven't released before, not repaints.
DroidsUnfortunately with the BAD I have ended up getting a bunch of Prequel stuff that I don't want, but I can't get enough droids.
Padme/LeiaJust a all the different Padme & Leia's there are because they a ton to collect.
Imperial TroopersNon-Clone figures (Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, Speeder Bike Troopers, TIE Fighter Pilots, EU Troopers (JUMP, EVO, etc...), and such.
ExclusivesGet all the exclusives in and out of package. Army build as necessary.
EwoksIs what it is.
Rebel PilotsThe inherent pilot in all of us that took ships and flew it around the room has never gone away.
McFarlaneMinnesota TwinsOnly collecting the Home uniforms as I hate the away jerseys.
St. Louis CardinalsAll jerseys for this team as it is my favorite baseball team.
MISC.This is my Hometown collection (just need to replace KG since he is in Boston now) & my Nolan Ryan's & other players I like.
TransformersReissuesGenerally stuff from my childhood that I never had that I like.
MasterpieceI have the Megatron and am getting the Grimlock, but I am being very selective of this group due to the price.
NECAHarry PotterLike the movie and books and the figures are really good likenesses so it is hard to pass on.
TerminatorJust announced that they are making a Terminator 2 line and the pictures so far kick ass.
DST/Art AsylumStargate SG-1All figures plus extras for customizing.
Stargate AtlantisAll figures plus extras for customizing.
MISCAny figures that are released that I think are cool for my Movie Collection.
Any figures that I can use to make custom figures of.

I got rid of Indiana Jones, Marvel Legends, and in package Star Wars figures.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:02 PM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!