Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179847 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: 2013: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2013, 11:06 PM »
MOTUC- still liking this line, but this year seems like a stinker of a lineup. Glad to see Ram Man, Jitsu, and Clamp Champ, so that's good. Then there's that Grayskull I preordered...

GI Joe- provided the stuff ever shows up. I preordered the second wave of stuff from BBTS since I expect that only TRU will stock the stuff with any regularity. And even then,  it's a Hasbro line, so distribution will be dogshit. The Kre-O stuff looks like a lot of fun, but I'll resist the temptation.

I'll likely spend most of my increasingly rare spare dough on vintage He-Man and GI Joe. I'm glad for the break on Star Wars, and I really don't expect to see anything new until 2015 or whenever Episode 7 hits.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Always like to update this after the big shows, and seeing what is on the way for the rest of the year (and into next).  Not a lot of changes for me, overall, but continuing to try and buy less.

Star Wars
-Black Series 6" - Likely all the OT ones, we'll see about PT.
-Black Series 3 3/4" - Same here.
-Legends/Mission Series - I kind of like the looks of the OT ones, just for fun.  I'm guessing I'll pick those up.
-Vehicles/Beasts/etc. - Any OT ones I don't already have, or are significantly improved.

Marvel
-Legends - pretty much all in on these anymore, and not too bad with only a few waves/year.
-Universe - More and more selective here.  I recently had to take my display of these down, so I'm buying to go into storage right now.  I want the upcoming Mysterio, Rhino, Elektra, and Cloak/Dagger though.  With the switchover to "Avengers" next year, we'll see what that brings.

The Hobbit
-3 3/4", I'd like to get the rest of the Dwarves, and possibly a couple others, and call it good.  I'm wondering about the future of this line, was really hoping we'd get a Smaug in this scale as well.

LEGO
The OT based sets as I can afford them, also a set or two here and there from LOTR or Marvel.

Otherwise, that's about it.  I may grab a DC fig here or there (primarily Bat-related), but that's about it.  I think I'm pretty much done with MOTUC now, and probably Joes as well (although I think I'll get those "ultimate" versions that are coming up).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:11 PM by Brian »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2013, 09:45 PM »
At this point, dust.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 1, 2013, 01:34 AM »
At this point, dust.

LOL.  Not far off myself. 

Marvel Universe selectively though they're making it hard enough to find that I'm not collecting much anyway. 

Thinking about a Sideshow premium format Snowtrooper but hoping they sell out before I get around to it. 

That's about it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 1, 2013, 08:42 AM »
For 2013:

Star Wars: Whatever TCW swag they see fit to release, maybe another  class I, BP, and a few figures? Also need a few odd vintage variants, hollow tube tusken raider, red haired Hoth Leia, etc. and that pesky orange haired Luke!

DCU: new Watchmen figures courtesy of Club Black Freighter, cannot wait for these!

Hanna Barbera: new Zandor and Tundro figures from the Herculoids cartoon

Walking Dead: anything and everything they decide to bless us with, no Minimates though

Always good to check-in at the halfway point. Looks like I'm buying pretty much no new SW toys this year. The few random TCW inspired toys they've announced aren't slated to hit shelves til 2014 I guess.

The Watchmen Collector's Club is ending this year as well, an all too short run but an excellent one. So that's it for those.

Got my Tundro and Zandor toys, just hoping we get more from the show. Walking Dead is going strong, just snagged the whole comic wave and looking forward to the next TV series.

Also added World War Z to the stable this year, though I suspect that line is mercifully DOA. I am really digging the Pacific Rim stuff too, super psyched for Waves 2 and 3 now.

And man, the prices are brutal, but that Super 7 Alien stuff is all kinds of awesome. LOVE those.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 1, 2013, 11:07 AM »
Star Wars - Is there anything TO collect yet? Looks like I'll be picking up the mini rig Yoda fighter, and maybe the Endor AT-AT, though I'd almost rather track down the one from 2010. Still have some holes in my TVC line I'll probably fill, mainly the Imperial Navy Commander, Dack, AT-AT Commander, Snowspeeder and Cloud Car.

I have purchased exactly four Star Wars figures: Rebel Fleet Trooper, Fordo, and the new Legends Super Battle Droid and R4-P17. Never did track down the TVC figures and vehicles I'm missing from 2010.

Marvel - Still picking and choosing. I mainly stick to anything Spider-Man and some X-Men, with other various characters along the way. Will probably skip most of the Iron Man 3 line... most movie lines I only snag one or two figures anyway, and those are generally comic versions, so meh

I've seen one new Universe wave and only bought Jubilee. Need to go the online case route with Universe. Skipped everything from the terrible Iron Man 3 line.

LEGO - hoo boy... I'll pick up anything Star Wars OT, maybe anything if it's cheap (ie Planet sets, troop building sets, etc). Marvel and DC I pick and choose mostly for the minifigures. :-[ And of course I love the blindbag minifigures. Might pick up small, cheap sets here and there

Welp... I've spent almost $1000 on LEGO this year thanks to their various sales and deals that trick you into spending more money. :-X But I regret NOTHING.

I'm scared I would get sucked into a LOTR line, if Bridge Direct does as well on it as they did the Hobbit line, which I have resisted so far...

These disappeared from TRU, the only store that carried them, so I have successfully resisted via out of sight, out of mind.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 1, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Star Wars, mostly discounted stuff, used and ebay. The number of full priced figures I've gotten this year...just one, I think. Fordo, the only one I ever saw at retail.

The Hobbit on clearance, I only opened 3 things.

With GI JOE Retaliation stuff headed to clearance some places, I've picked up one figure and one 3 pack.

Junk from Garage sales. (Mostly star wars, but some occassional classics, like a Mego Dukes of Hazard Luke Duke)

Trying to fight the occassional Playmobil urge...I did buy a blind bagged figure during a TRU sale. Passed up super cheap playmobils at yard sales.  It's a slope I'm trying to avoid.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #277 on: August 1, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Thinking about a Sideshow premium format Snowtrooper but hoping they sell out before I get around to it. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one who actually breathes a sigh of relief when some things I want but shouldn't buy finally sell out.  I just did that with tickets to a beer event here that are $75 a pop...  Wanna go, but too much other stuff ahead of me.  Sold out and I just smiled and closed the computer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2014: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #278 on: December 27, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Thought I'd bump this one up looking ahead to 2014.  Anything changing with your collecting habits in the new year?  Although we still aren't super sure what the Star Wars line is going to look like, here's what I'll be collecting (trying to streamline, once again):

Star Wars

- Black Series 3 3/4" - All of the OT figures, select others if we see them.  Exclusives, vehicles, etc. if they are new enough to me (again, OT) or if the vintage packaging/price is especially nifty.  Only ended up buying a handful of figures from the first three waves this year, but if the rest of 2014 looks like that Dagobah Luke wave, I'll be buying more.

- Black Series 6" - All in with the OT characters, undecided on the prequel ones.  I'm in for anything OT deluxe that they do as well.

Marvel

- Legends - Likely all in here, as long as I can afford to be.  Definitely want the Cap and Spidey Legends, and it sounds like we may be getting a line for Guardians of the Galaxy as well, and I'll definitely be down for that too.

- 3 3/4" Scaled - Not sure what we'll get here beyond the little Avengers Infinite preview we've seen.  I'd be selective if I'd get any, but I'll probably buy some.  Same goes for this scale for the movie lines, if they are decent quality, I'll at least grab the big names.

And that's about it for me.  If the Hobbit line straightens out and we get the rest of the dwarves, I'm in, otherwise probably not.  DC is pretty well done for me, aside from the odd Bat-figure here or there.  Always on the lookout for LEGOs when I can afford them, but it looks to be a light OT Star Wars year next year for those (maybe some LOTR).  Mainly just Star Wars and Marvel for me, and depending on what's to come, it might be mostly 6" stuff actually.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #279 on: December 27, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Oddly haven't given this much thought.

SW - always, but I think this year actually more than 2013 will be a lot of wait and see. I find myself enjoying the 6 inch and Saga Legends as much as anything else, so I look forward to what shows up there.

Misc. - no idea. The movie Batman and Superman figures - Keaton and Reeves. Beyond that, doubt it will be much at all.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 28, 2013, 12:13 AM »
Hmmm... I don't think the lines I'll be collecting in 2014 will be too different from the past couple years. I did get sucked into Pacific Rim this year, but that kind of replaced The Hobbit line from 2012. Anyway, here's what I plan to pick up:

Star Wars - I ended up getting just about everything released this year, which really wasn't that much. What I get next year really depends on what Hasbro releases. I also got on board with the 6" scale figures, but I might sell off that line.

G.I. Joe - Same deal as Star Wars pretty much... hopefully Hasbro releases some new items in 2014

Marvel - 6" Marvel Cinematic Universe figures. At the moment I am definitely set to get the movie Captain America, Winter Soldier, and Black Widow figures. If I enjoy the Guardians of the Galaxy movie I'll pick up those figures as well.

Walking Dead - I really love the comic, show, and toys. I'll keep collecting the figures as long as McFarlane keeps making them. I appreciate getting significantly better toys with each new wave/series.

Pacific Rim - At the moment I am collecting the 7" and 18" scale figures. I will definitely keep going with the 7" line, but I might jump ship on the 18" figures. Space is a huge issue with the larger figures.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 28, 2013, 09:27 PM »
I knew this thread would be coming up soon. 

For me, I don't know.  I'm so over pretty much everything Hasbro is putting out that I will probably only pick up Star Wars figures and vehicles that fall into my focus, AT-AT Driver and Republic Gunship, and maybe the odd Yoda figure.  Same pretty much goes for all the license holders, Lego, Sideshow, Gentle Giant, etc.

I bought series 2 of the GI Joe Club figures so I'll be getting them along with 2014's subscription figures but I'm out on the Con sets and unless Hasbro wows me with something (12") for the 50th anniversary I probably won't be buying anything else.

Lego?  Maybe a set or two, no specific line, but I say that then never buy much unless it's on deep clearance and I'm speculating on it.

Other stuff?  Maybe a figure here and there from Onell Design or the Four Horsemen and I'm in on the Eaglemoss Star Trek ship subscription for the year, at least.  Probably a few more Hot Wheels cars that are related to movies/tv shows I like and that's about it.

I'm kind of uninterested in collecting these days and the prospect of Hasbro and other shops ramping up for Episode VII in 2015 annoys me more than anything.  I'm more in a thin the collection mood than build it.  We'll see what Toy Fair has to offer but I'm not holding out that I'll see anything, from any company, that will excite me.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 28, 2013, 10:45 PM »
I ended up enjoying a lot of stuff this past year that I was late jumping into...Hobbit, Prometheus, etc. I liked the subscription Watchmen figures a lot too, will miss those next year. With the Clone Wars line dead, Star Wars has really fallen down the list for me. Definitely just cherry picking going forward. I'm thinking for 2014:

Star Wars- Everything from the 6" line, guestimating 12-15 figures for 2014, maybe an exclusive or two. Anything from the Clone Wars series they happen to make in either 4" line. Definitely ALL the Rebels stuff, psyched for that...

Walking Dead- Everything as far as the comic and TV waves, any 10" figures they bring out after Daryll, love this line...

Pacific Rim- Any and all, Wave 3 for the 7" and both 18" figures, maybe even the Sideshow GD. Love this line SO much!

Hobbit- Still need 4" Azog, but after that I guess I'm done until they see fit to release those other $%^&  dwarves...

Prometheus- Wishful thinking, but somehow get us Fifield and Holloway already...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 7, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I find my wants shifting quite a bit this year due to the pain of rising costs, action figures just feel less and less worth it of late. I love what they're doing with them, it's a great time as far as quality goes, I just find more and more that I'm drifting towards giving Lego my disposable income, feels like more bang for the buck, more fun in the long term. That said though, I've still got a few things on the go.

Star Wars: Still down for any quality 3.75" product. I still love collecting Star Wars at this scale, and the infrequency of waves makes it affordable and easy to keep up. 6" not so much, they're nice, and I have a few, but theres not much better about them to me from thier smaller counterparts. That said, I'll make an exception for Vader and Chewie if they're done well...

MOTU: I've got a sub, they're fun figures, but I'm really starting to feel the pinch on these ones. This year is probably it for me here.

Marvel: I'm game for Universe and Cinematic Universe 3.75"

DC: I have some interest in that multiverse line, especially the Keaton Bats and Reeve Superman stuff coming out later in the year. Will wait and see what the production quality looks like.

Transformers: Generations figures that catch my fancy, particularly the Beast Wars redos they've been cranking out lately.

EDIT: Yeah...those Funko Re Action lines too, those are just cool looking.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2014, 11:06 AM by Greedo The Green Menace »

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Collecting in general seems to be winding down for me, but there are still a few things I'll look to pick up.

SW Black 6" - hoped to stay away from this, but my brother got me the Luke and Sandtrooper from wave 1.  I went the ebay route for a boba, and am hoping to track down 2 stormtroopers when they launch plus get a few others.

GG Marvel Busts - started on these a few years back, and have 8 or 9 of them.  I'll be getting the spidey this year.  Beyond that I'll have to see what is announced.  Would love a Dr. Doom and Colossus.

DC - Been collecting the DCUC line since wave 1, and was a bit sad to see my final sub figure ship last month.  There are a few I've missed that I would like to track down, plus hoping to get some of the unreleased figs that were planned for this years sub.  Will have to see what they do with them.

MOTUC - Hoping to get Modulok next week.  would love to one day get a whiplash, and Castle Greyskull is a dream (that sadly will probably never happen).