Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179854 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2018: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2017, 03:55 PM »
Wow, can't believe it has been 14 years since we first started this thread, and looking at how many of us are still here and how things have changed. With 2018 looming, just thought I would bump this up to see if anyone is changing their collecting habits in the upcoming year. I know personally I bought less and sold off a lot of stuff in 2017, and will probably continue that trend this year. I've just started to run out of room and it seems silly to continue filling rubbermaids to sit in the garage. I basically stick to the same two areas: Star Wars and Marvel Legends. I'm into both the scales of Star Wars, but I really have started to think how much cheaper it would be to stick strictly to 3 3/4" Star Wars these days. Only 30 or figures for each movie line it seems.

Star Wars
Always the 3 3/4" line, basic and vintage. Black Series I've been buying too, and will likely continue but be even more selective. Vehicles are selective, although there aren't all that many these days.

Marvel Legends
I've pretty much been all in on these for the past few years, and the quality has been pretty amazing. One of the best all around lines out there at the retail level I think, but it is a big money suck. I could save a lot if I dropped it, but I'll likely continue. I'm hoping to be highly selective and stop getting entire waves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:56 PM by Brian »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 1, 2018, 02:16 PM »
For 2018 I still want that next wave of Alien ReAction figures, and the Shogun Warrior figures they showed off previously.

Will definitely keep buying the Stranger Things figures in either scale. Looking forward to Jesus and Negan in the McF 5" line, not sure what if anything is coming after those two. The MIA Hero 3-pack I guess.

Mostly I look forward to picking up more vintage toys. And weeding out some stuff in my collection  I'm no longer attached to...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 3, 2018, 01:25 AM »
I picked up some items this year for my character and vehicle focus; AT-AT Driver and Republic Gunship. There were some chunks since my last post back in July when I didn't really buy much of anything from the current SW films. I grabbed a couple classic Space Lego sets from eBay, added a couple more Marauder figures and even some 12" GI Joe accessories. This Fall I did buy a few of the TLJ figures and the A-Wing which I thought was very well done. And I picked up a handful of Black Series figures that I thought turned out well, like the SDCC Thrawn, HASCON Rex, and the Luke and Rey exclusives.

Several of those purchases were paid for by selling off some stuff on eBay which made it easier to swallow both in cash spent and basically maintaining on the collection size.

For 2018 there are a handful of SW figures I want to pick up, mostly in the new Vintage Collection line, but I'll keep my eye on all of the 3.75" figures including the Solo stuff. And I'm definitely in on that Hovertank Hasbro has coming. I plan on buying for my focus collections, I want to add at least the Jaina BS figure that's starting to hit, and I'll probably pick up the Ahsoka Forces of Destiny figure and cross my fingers for a Hera Syndulla.

I passed on this newest wave of G.I. Joe Club Figure Subscription Service figures but there are a couple I'll grab individually if I can get to them in time. And the FSS6 is still shipping, I bought that whole sub. The Joe Club has a few final exclusives coming this year I'll get and I'm seriously thinking about going to the Joe Con this year since it's the last one.

I'd also like to pick off a couple more classic Space Lego sets and I'm looking forward to my Eagle Force and Marauder's Kickstarter figures.

While I didn't sell a lot of stuff in 2017, I found it to be kind of painless letting stuff go and funding new purchases from sales income definitely was friendlier to the bank account. So I think I'll do some more selling this year to fund those purchases I do want to make.

E...

"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #333 on: January 3, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Acid Rain World stuff...  which is expensive.

Star Wars will always have a foothold with me though even if a lot of it isn't that interesting to me.  This year, that Imperial tank is gonna hit my wallet hard.

Hiya stuff whenever it comes out...  if it comes out...

Ma.K. as well, but that's more modeling.

I'm still holding out strong on the 6" line.  I have very little, and I plan to keep it that way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 4, 2018, 12:23 AM »
I'm at a serious crossroads with my collecting, as I really want to start downsizing. I see how much a lot of the 3.75 inch stuff can go for loose on eBay, but at the same time I've invested 2 decades into that collection and don't know if I could part with it. Getting rid of the Hasbro 6 inch stuff and only buying the Japanese lines has crossed my mind, but the only thing people are buying is the orange/blue box stuff from pre-TFA, so I'd still be stuck with most of it.

Anyway, my current collecting "goals" for the year:

- Hasbro Star Wars: Most Black Series/6 inch stuff, most TVC/3.75 inch stuff

- LEGO: All Star Wars OT, any Sequel and Prequel sets that catch my eye or are affordable

- DC Direct Batman the Animated Series: Need to fill in a few gaps in my collection since I bought maybe 2 figures in all of 2017

- Bandai SH Figuarts: All Star Wars, and any other figures that catch my eye

- Medicom MAFEX: I've cut back on the Star Wars stuff due to costs, but I'll probably pick up any interesting ones, from Star Wars or other lines

I'd also like to track down the Marvel Legends Jim Lee Cyclops, and I'll buy a Tiger Stripe Wolverine if they make one
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 4, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Hopefully nothing.

Even when VOTC, I expect not find any of the figures I'd want and/or will balk whatever the price is.

But I'll come across something used somewhere and give in. Or clearance junk.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Did Toy Fair change anyone's collecting aspirations for the year? I know the Sail Barge, along with the opportunities it may open up, has definitely got me thinking about things. I've slowly been cutting back (and in some cases selling off), the non SW stuff, really only focusing on Marvel Legends outside of that. This is making me take an even harder look at that. If I want to continue and go all-in with this type of Vintage Collection stuff, it may mean focusing almost exclusively on that. That means getting much more selective with "other" lines, or just deciding that it is a good place to be done.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #337 on: March 8, 2018, 08:49 AM »
I am out of everything except for 1/6 now but the sail barge really had me tempted.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 8, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Besides Star Wars?  Not much, really. 

I had been buying some of the 3.75" Marvel Legends figures based on the MCU.  But there seems to be a complete lack of 3.75" MCU figures this year based on what we saw at Toy Fair.  And those lower end 6" figures for Black Panther and Infinity War just looked awful.  The only 3.75" Marvel figures that were reportedly shown at Toy Fair were Venom/symbiote themed.  Not really my thing.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2018, 09:54 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 8, 2018, 10:03 AM »
For 2018 I still want that next wave of Alien ReAction figures, and the Shogun Warrior figures they showed off previously.

Will definitely keep buying the Stranger Things figures in either scale. Looking forward to Jesus and Negan in the McF 5" line, not sure what if anything is coming after those two. The MIA Hero 3-pack I guess.

Mostly I look forward to picking up more vintage toys. And weeding out some stuff in my collection  I'm no longer attached to...

Since I last posted, I bought the MIA WD Hero 3-pack off eBay, Jesus was relegated to another "Allies" 3-pack, and Walgreens Negan continues to be a mystery.

Stranger Things and Alien figs both on the way this month, and throughout the year.

I was gonna try to skip the Pacific Rim Uprising Toys but damn if TRU didn't get in the first wave of Bandai stuff and I folded like a $20 bill. So I guess im in on that line now too.

With Rebels gone I don't expect to be buying any more toys from that, not that there was much to begin with. Still trying to figure out a path forward with the SWB 6" stuff because it's becoming a concern.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2019: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2018, 03:31 PM »
I know this thread has slowed down a bit over the years, but thought it might be nice to update going into the New Year. More slowing down and selectiveness for me, just don't have the room these days.

Star Wars

Vintage Collection - Probably most to all of these. Definitely all OT stuff, hope we continue to see vehicles and other stuff in this category. Can't wait for the Sail Barge.

Black Series - Picking and choosing here, but the line has really been strong lately. All OT stuff, and honestly kind of excited about some of the prequel stuff on the way. Although I'll always be a 3 3/4" guy, this really seems like the line of the moment (and future?)

Basic Line - not sure here, kind of at a crossroads. I'm not against 5 POA, and a lot of the Solo stuff looked great, it just hasn't been as exciting for me lately. I'll wait and see, but I sort of lean toward dedicating the funds to Vintage Collection more. Likely skipping Resistance stuff too, so that might be all we see until Episode 9 stuff.

Marvel Legends

I've been pretty much all-in on these the past few years, but again space is tough after collecting all these years so I'm hoping to get more selective here. I'll always go for Spidey stuff (waves), and likely go for new MCU characters (Captain Marvel, etc.), and otherwise lean towards classic characters.

Other than that, I hope to primarily focus on more vintage toys. I finished the "regular" Star Wars line last year, so I might dabble in the odd POTF figure here and there as I can afford. Otherwise I've shifted focus to GI Joe, and right now I'm trying to complete the figures from the 1985 line. Overall I sold off way more than I bought in 2018, and may do a little more of that in 2019.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 1, 2019, 10:37 AM »
I was just thinking about this thread last week. I've done a lot of re-arranging this year of my collection displays so it has prompted another hard look at all the stuff I am hoarding. A lot of my lines have wound down at this point. And I need space!

Star Wars: Think I've decided to stick with the 6" line until we get some kind of word about Hasbro's license renewal. I just cannot keep up with these forever. Would really love to see them cut back to 8-12 figures a year going forward. And please cut back on all the exclusives.

I think it will probably be impossible for me to resist the Resistance line, although I've never even seen the show. I just love the animated aesthetic. That looks to be an even smaller footprint than Rebels though, so not too worried about the space or money for these.

Super 7: I will continue to support these guys in about 90% of the stuff they put out. They recently teased the Shogun Warriors again so I am crazy excited for those. Still hoping we see the rest of the recent Alien figures on single cards too.

McFarlane: I can't see doing another 6" GoT line, so probably out on those. Still waiting on Steve to round out the Stranger Things collection. At least the Walking Dead stuff is all kaput now.

Lanard: of all the stuff I collect the Corps stuff is probably the most fun for me. It's a really challenging line to collect too because of all the foreign releases. Really hope we finally see the Jurassic Clash line hit Walmart this year.

MISC: still need the Bandai Pacific Rim SDCC exclusive set and supposedly there were two more figures planned for the main line but I haven't heard anything about those for months now. Monstarz always has the odd Creepshow or Re-Animator sets that I love.

Think that's it!  :D

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 3, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Still at a crossroads as I keep wanting to get rid of stuff, but I also won't stop buying stuff.

Hasbro Star Wars: Black Series 6 inch and Vintage Collection. Still debating giving up the Black Series/6 inch stuff.

LEGO Star Wars: I'm considering ending it. There's too much product being released, and at least 75% of it costs over $70 per set. I haven't bought anything in ages, which is depressing, and I'm starting to question just how many X-Wings I really need, especially when they cost $80 and sales are a lot more rare than they were a few years ago. That's not to mention that all my stuff is still in the original boxes since I live in an apartment. Maybe I should cut my losses and sell, I dunno.

Hasbro Marvel Legends: Any classic Spider-Man stuff

Bandai SH Figuarts: Anything Star Wars. I love this line so much. It's expensive, especially the exclusives, but there are only a handful of releases each year so it's pretty affordable in the end. I think the most I've ever spent on it is $120 per month when they did the Last Jedi monthly releases in 2017. Already have ROTS Obi-Wan and Dooku on preorder, and I expect there will be a bunch of Episode IX stuff released at the end of the year.

Medicom MAFEX: Star Wars line seems to have ended but they're branching out into Marvel, both MCU and classic comic stuff. I have the classic comic Spider-Man and Venom on preorder already, and will probably continue buying Spidey stuff.

DC Collectibles Batman The Animated Series: I put this every year, but the figures are harder and harder to find (i.e. my local comic stores have stopped buying new figures), and the production runs keep getting more and more limited, meaning the prices are higher on the secondary market. This line is the reason I started buying 6 inch scale toys, so it's disappointing to quit without having a complete set of the stuff I want, but it's looking like I'll have to.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 09:29 AM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2019: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #343 on: July 28, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Post SDCC (and yearly) bump. With possible changes in the upcoming Star Wars lines (less 3 3/4"), looks like things could be changing for many...

Star Wars

Vintage Collection - I'm in as we get them, specifically OT stuff and new figures that get sprinkled in.

Black Series - possibly the future (and present?) of Star Wars collector figures at retail. I'm selective here, and will continue to be. Right now I have three floating shelves for BS figures, and can only display so many, so I really think about each figure that comes into the house. OT focus here as well, and any face paint upgrades we get. Likely in for some Rise of Skywalker figures, and the Mandalorian.

Marvel Legends - What I've primarily been buying the last couple years, to be honest. There is just so much if it, so I don't get everything, but quite a bit of it. Hasbro has really been killing it on this line, and I've been loving the MCU stuff as well as the classic comic looks they put out.

MOTU Origins - Not out until the Fall of 2020, but I'm likely in on this. Already have a collection of Classics that I'm very happy with, but the combination of vintage style/scale, a somewhat reasonable price, and a retail presence sounds like a fun thing to get in on the ground floor with.

Otherwise, that might be about it. I honestly don't have a ton of room left to display things, so I've gotten a lot more selective with "other" stuff, particularly modern. I have been picking and choosing from the Transformers Siege line, I really like those. I still work on vintage toylines like GI Joe, TMNT, Super Powers, Secret Wars, etc. when I have the time/money.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 1, 2019, 04:14 PM »

DC Collectibles Batman The Animated Series: I put this every year, but the figures are harder and harder to find (i.e. my local comic stores have stopped buying new figures), and the production runs keep getting more and more limited, meaning the prices are higher on the secondary market. This line is the reason I started buying 6 inch scale toys, so it's disappointing to quit without having a complete set of the stuff I want, but it's looking like I'll have to.

I recently got out my Batman TAS figures (both Kenner and DC Collectibles), and was considering trying to get caught back up as well. Like you, this was on my list every year, and I was so pumped when they first started making these. As purchases in other lines picked up, I put these in the "I'll catch up later" category. I'd still like to do that, as I really love the style and it is one of my favorite shows....ever. Like you said though, they keep getting pricier. I thought I'd try to at least complete things from the original series (before the animation change - which I also liked), just to limit it a bit. It looks like they are kind of finishing some things out later this year with single releases (Ivy, Croc, Freeze, Bane) from the earlier box set. Still a pretty line though, but the $28 per figure price....yeesh.