Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179856 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: 2004: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 02:49 PM »
Updatedness:

Lines I collect regularly:
Star Wars Saga, OTC, VOTC, Unleashed
LOTR
Buffy/Angel

Buy what I want from:
GI Joe
Transformers G1
NECA's various lines
McFarlane's various lines
Marvel Minimates
Marvel Legends, SMC, XMC, HC, plus movie figures
Muppets
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 02:50 PM by HMI »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 2, 2004, 06:42 AM »
I don't collect anything, even Star Wars, 100%. I love monsters and aliens, and grab creepies that float my boat from all kinds of lines; some vintage. I don't only buy creatures, though, of course. Here are some of my favorite things:

Meegan (Silver Surfer line)
Krang (vintage TMNT)
Lurtz
Treebeard
12" Gimli
Adventure Kermit
Thundarr
Ookla the Mok
Modulok
Mantenna
Spider-Man (Classic)
Thing (ML)
Torch (ML)
12" Creature from the Black Lagoon (Hasbro)
12' Frankenstein (Sideshow)
Enemy Visitor ("V - The Mini-Series")
12" Cobra Commander
Imperious Leader (vintage Battlestar Galactica)
Ovion (vintage Battlestar Galactica)
Mayor McCheese (Remco McDonaldland) LOL
Big Mac (Remco McDonaldland)
Capt Crook (Remco McDonaldland)
Grimace (Remco McDonaldland)
Raphael (modern TMNT)
Kubrick Creature
E.T.
Mork from Ork (vintage Mattel)
Spidey (10" vinyl)
The Visitor (Stan Winston Creatures)
Suckerman (vintage Mattel suction cup monster toy)
Worm Aliens bendies (Men In Black)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 3, 2004, 10:30 AM »
We're about halfway through the year, and I was just curious how some of you were sitting with your collection(s) or collecting habits.  Is there anything that you have picked up (new collection wise), or gotten so frustrated with that you've given up on it?  How is the rest of the year looking to you?  Here's what I am thinking (at least at this moment :))

Lines Collecting

Star Wars 3 3/4" - Not much new around here lately, but still collecting most of the line.  Getting some help from Jeff here on the boards that will get me almost caught up with Saga and ready for the OTC.  On this side of things, we haven't seen new figs on the pegs past the Tat. wave (aside from Dodonnas, which seem to be everywhere here).

Vintage Star Wars 3 3/4" - I haven't been able to pick much up lately with funds going elsewhere, and with moving and such, but I hope to (eventually) have a complete loose collection.  I try to pick up figures here and there to slowly work towards this, depending on what available collecting cash I have.

Star Wars Unleashed - I have been picking up all the OT releases, but still have a few to go back and get (Emperor, Leia, Vader).  I really enjoy this line, although it does take up quite a bit of space.

Star Wars Galactic Heroes - Waiting for these to come out.  I picked up all the Playskool (Original Trilogy) sets, and think its a fun little line.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming sets and hopefully we'll see another ship or two in the future of this too.

Marvel Legends/Spidey Classics - Although the rest of the line has been tempting, I've been sticking to Spidey and X-Men figs only so far.  I hope to pick up the Sinister Six box set when it is released later this year, as well as a few figs from ML (Juggernaut, Brown Wolvie, Phoenix, etc.)  I also picked up the movie Spidey, and might look into a Doc Ock too.  I have one pack (Spidey) of the minimates, and more of those are tempting too.

Lord of the Rings - Like I have mentioned many times before, this is a line that has constantly tempted me.  Watching the ROTK DVD lately hasn't helped that any...these are just my favorite movies outside of the OT.  Lack of space and funds has kept me away (along with the wife not really being enthusastic of "another" collection), but a part of me still really wants to pick up some of the main characters and have about a 10-12 figure collection.  I might take a look this weekend and see what's out there at retail...not much new Star Wars around here lately anyways.  The LOTR minimates line will be awfully tempting too.

Overall, those are the only "lines" I'm consistently collecting.  I picked up various figures from other lines, and might collect those lines more if I had the money or space.  Various figures include: Adventure Kermit, Spidey mini-mate 4-pack, Roboto, He-Man, and Sy-Klone from MOTU, and Zipline Batman (as well as various Star Wars collectibles).  Well, sorry for the long post...how's collecting looking for you?

« Last Edit: June 3, 2004, 10:33 AM by mosnab »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 3, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Heh, Brian, you and I are weak minded ;D
collecting this year:

Star Wars 3 3/4 - anything new in OTC, VOTC and then if they happen to come to Canada, I may pick up some of the OTC rehashes.  Anything that looks good or perhaps some army builders, though history has taught me that waiting to get army builders later and cheaper is the way to go.  

Vintage Star Wars - doing pretty well here, went on a (an expensive) tear last month to get it down pretty low.  I need about 20 more figures to finish to the end of POTF, including 7 of the last 17.  I am concerned here with a jump in price following the release of the DVDs and the new movie coming, so trying my best to wrap this up over the summer.  I refuse to hurry with these though.  Last summer I 'won' and auction for Amanaman complete with staff for $52 but didn't meet the reserve.  Last week I picked up a complete one for $46 complete with coin and the seller will ship to Canada for the same price as the US shipping, so $50 total, shipping in.  Patience.  I need to find some weapons.  

Marvel Legends: staying selective, hoping our retailers stop selling old crap and get up to speed.  Walmart keeps bringing in the Gambit/Beast/Punisher stuff.  Zellers got an influx of Series II :'(  Thinking I will pass now on the FF box set.  Don't want Franklin, don't like the Reed, don't need another Thing, waiting for original Torch to clearance, no thank you to H.E.R.B.I.E.  Will get the S6 set (mrrrowwr).

McFarlane Sportspicks - my heyday is clearly over here.  Pretty much only goalies now, though I selectively grab a skater or two, especially if it's someone I like, but can wait for the clearance price on.  Legends will be fun, but my luck (and my buddy's luck up here) with finding chase pieces will hopefully (knock on wood) hold out and I can do well.  Really looking forward to Cheevers' figure.  The Gretzky figures will be bought on principle and I doubt I'll be able to pass on Courneyer and Mahovolich, those guys were big when I was but a pup and addicted to hockey.  No case ordering for me.  

LOTR - yep, finally breaking down.  I started the line, bailed on the line and it worked out for the best.  Originally figures after taxes were around $15 each.  Now they're about $10, so substantial savings.  Trying to limit myself to the more 'main' characters, but I suspect in a fit of weak mindedness, I'll find more excuses to buy other figures.   ::)

Muppets - continuing to be very selective, primarily getting them for Mrs. Bug.  Justification angle ;)

Simpsons - one Homer to go and I am done.  Might pick up a bar crew to go with my Moe's Tavern set (curse you Scott) when they drop below $1 each :( ;)

Kubrick's - Star Wars only, but will try and back fill the chase pieces.  No real intent for carded Boba, but we'll see.  

Unleashed - all of em.  'Nuff said.

Star Wars Galactic Heroes - all of these too, with all due respect to more mature folks like Cory.  I like them, my daughter likes to play with them and when she tires of them, they'll make a nifty, if cute, addition to my collection.

Star Wars Tomy mini-dioramas - I love these things and will continue with them as best I can.  I am hoping for another series that returns to more OT stuff, but they've done very well with filling most OT needs to this point.  I'm sure they'll do an Ep III series, but would like one or two more from them.  The detail is great and scale is perfect.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 3, 2004, 11:12 AM »
I know what you mean Brent :D.  Darn LOTR keeps reeling me back every other month or so.  Your earlier idea (in the LOTR thread) of the gift packs might be a more cost-effective one too that I'll look into.  One I forgot to mention (remembered after reading your post), is the Sportspicks.  I don't have any of these, but I'm watching ebay to see if I can pick up a series 1 Garnett.  I think there is a new one coming in the fall too.  After that, I might pick up a few more here and there, they look kind of spiffy.  If I go further, I will probably opt mostly for NBA figures, with a sprinkling of NFL here and there (former Huskers like Ahman Green maybe).  We'll see though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 3, 2004, 11:24 AM »
Yes, Garnett 2 is here.  No pics yet, but at least we know it's coming.  I certainly wouldn't bother chasing the earlier version, especially if prices are up a bit.  Green could be tough, so if you see one, grab it.  

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 03:11 PM »
Well, after a spendy month (for me) of $100 or so, I'm trying to really assess what I'm going to continue to collect.  So many different lines have been tempting or appealing at one time or another (Lord of the Rings, Muppets), or due to nostalgia (MOTU, G.I. Joe)...but I think I'm going to try to have to limit it to Star Wars, and one other line (which looks to be Marvel).  We just don't have the budget for a whole lot more it seems.  Plus, I don't have the room anyways really.  I think, aside from the occasional figure from other lines here and there possibly, I'm going to try to stick to these two.  There seem to enough "sub areas" in each of these lines to keep me more than occupied the way it is  ;).  Anyways, as (another) update, this is what its looking like:

Star Wars
3 3/4" Basic Figures/Ships/etc. - Only a few repacks from the OTC that I missed out on the first time around (Gam. Guard, Slave Leia, newish Bespin Luke, General Lando, possibly Fortuna).  Also, the rest of the VOTC line (have picked up Obi, Han, and Leia so far).  I'd like to get two of each of those, but not sure if that is going to work out.  Also plan to pick up the new Slave 1, hopefully the Sandcrawler, and possibly the re-done Falcon.  I'll also be on the look out once the new waves (shown at Comic-Con) start to hit.

Unleashed - I continue to collect these, only the OT ones for now though (although I do have a Yoda).  I'm planning on picking up Bossk, Tusken, IG-88, Stormtrooper, and the recarded Vader and Leia that are coming up.

Galactic Heroes - I like this line, and hope to pick up the new 2 packs coming up (both now and in the future).  I've also been sticking to the OT sets in this line.

Glass Sets - If these continue, I will pick up any OT ones.  Still looking for the Luke ESB glass, and if the Han/Boba/Yoda glasses that were on the main page awhile back make it to stores, I'll be on the lookout for those for sure.  The figures included stink, but I really like the glasses themselves...even if they are plastic.

Vintage - I'm still hoping to work further towards a complete, loose collection of figures...but I haven't been able to put much cash towards that lately.  Something I will be consistently pursuing though.

Other - The Gentle Giant Bust-Ups, as well as the Kubrick line have both tempted me, but I'm just not sure if I will be able to collect them or not.  They do both look pretty amazing though.

Marvel Stuff

This pretty much has an order of Spidey first, then X-Men and/or the rest (specifically Avengers, Fantastic Four, etc.)  I wouldn't ever be a "completist" with the Legends/Classics lines, but probably stick to the characters I am most familiar with from my comic reading days, or ones that really looked spiffy.

Spider-Man Classics - Any new villains, and new Spider-men that might look good.  Right now I just have one basic red/blue Spidey (parachute), that I am happy with, but we'll see which other ones are tempting.  Otherwise, I will be picking up the bad guys (usually 1 per wave it seems).  Can't wait for the Sinister Six box set, but I guess that is technically Marvel Legends....

Marvel Legends - So far I have X-Men from this line (Beast, Colossus, Wolverine, Gambit, Magneto), but I have been tempted to pick up some more (Iron Man, Cap. America, Silver Surfer....upcoming Hawkeye, Vision, FF box set).  Also, hoping to get the Brown Costume Wolvie, Juggernaut, and Phoenix from ML 6.

Spider-man Movie figs - I have a couple different movie Spideys (super poseable, magnetic, 18" tall one), and I'd like to get a Doc Ock figure eventually.  They don't really show up around here very often, and I'm kind of waiting for the "bendy tentacles" one.  I might end up skipping it, we'll see at the time I guess.

Marvel Minimates - I really like this line, but I'm trying to decide if I need to choose between this one and Legends or not.  I'd like to do both, but we'll see.  So far I have the following:  Regular Spidey (x2), BD Spidey, Maskless Spidey, Thing, Cap. America, Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, and Absorbing Man.  I really do like this line, and they don't take up much space, so that is appealing too.  I don't think I'd ever be a completist with this line either, too many exclusives and figures to catch up on (for me).  Neat line though.

Anyways, sorry for another long post...bored at work today with not much to do.  There are always some miscellaneous Star Wars things I pick up too (books, vintage glasses/stuff, posters, etc.)...and like I said, the occasional figure from other lines (part of me wants to get a few more LOTR figures, such as Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, and Merry).  That would complete what I really want from that line (have Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Pippin, Gollum).  Anyways, have any of you had to re-assess what you collect or buy?  There are other lines I'd like to be further into (Marvel, LOTR), but it always depends on funds.  Star Wars will always get the majority of my time, money and attention :).  Good luck to everyone in their searches and collections!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 07:17 PM »
i like to think that outside of star wars, i've pretty much stopped collecting everything else. but that's not the case. it never is. i want it to be, but i know better now. i need to stop fooling myself.

i stopped collecting the simpsons after wave 7, maybe 8 - i don't remember. now that line is dead, and something inside is gnawing at me to just pick up the figures i missed out on. either that, or just sell the ones that i have. having an incomplete line isn't my thing, one way or the other.

never started the lotr (thank god) or the mcfarlane sports (outside of a few people that play on teams i like). movie maniacs i have a few, again just went after some of the ones that came from films i like. evil dead and alien in particular.

alien stuff is one of those lines that i keep picking things up for. but they don't really have any kind of action figures, unless you count those mcf ones (which i do own). mostly statues and busts, with a few other items thrown in here and there, like kubricks and metz-itz. and vinyl model kits, i have a few alien kits.

same thing kinda goes for evil dead merch. not much in the way of action figures, outside of the mcf (which, again, i do own) but everything else is on the higher end of collecting - statues, busts, kits. and i keep buying those.

stopped collecting gundam stuff. that got way too involved, trying to figure out which wave was which, and which gundam was what. after a while, they all look the same to me.

stopped collecting the batman animated series figures, but i'm always looking at them when i hit the stores. every now and then, i'm tempted to pick up anything that looks nice, but i have to keep myself focused on the main line, star wars... and keep my eyes off everything else. again, i have about 30 - 40 of the animated figures from a few years back, which are kinda in limbo for me at the moment. sell? keep?

never really got into any of the marvel line, with the exception of the 2 spiderman figures i bought when they first came out - the red/blue and the black outfits, that came with the wall mounted bases. i have those hanging in the doorway in my apartment, with a green goblin and a hobgoblin above them. outside of those 4, i don't have anything else.

i have the kill bill figures by neca, but i think (hope) that those were just a one time deal. i'd love them to release more, but at the same time, i'm fine with just the 5 (or six if you include the quentin tarantino exclusive  ;D )

i still have a pretty big nightmare before christmas collection, and i do add to it from time to time. but most of that stuff is pretty expensive, no $5 action figures here. again, the stuff i have is mostly busts, statues, and snowglobes from this line, with a poster and a print thrown in for good measure.

i think that pretty much covers it all.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 09:14 PM »
I've taken up collecting vinyl albums, singles, and CD singles now.
Trying to hunt down a 7" of Pearl Jam's Merkinball is harder than Star Wars collecting, if you can believe it. Plus, it's a little more rewarding to me when I score a single at my local store than finding another figure that I have to convince myself to buy.

It's a little more rewarding than action figure collecting, plus it's something I could talk about in public.

If the action features are as pervasive next year in the Ep. III line as they were on Saga's figures, I might take an extended break after this October. My Star Wars collection is now at that point where I don't think I can get anything new and different, and apparently Hasbro feels that way too.

I'm thinking about guitar collecting next. There's this bitchin' Paul Stanley signature model at Sam Goody I've had my eye on for a while.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2004, 09:33 PM »
I've taken up collecting vinyl albums, singles, and CD singles now. <snip> It's a little more rewarding than action figure collecting, plus it's something I could talk about in public.

now that's funny. true, but funny.

I'm thinking about guitar collecting next. There's this bitchin' Paul Stanley signature model at Sam Goody I've had my eye on for a while.

now that can be an expensive hobby. i once paid close to $3000 for a randy rhoads signature model jackson v. do you play, or would you be buying them strictly for collecting? the upside to it is that most vintage guitars never drop in price, and there's good money to be had. i once bought a gibson flying v back in the day. it was around '89, maybe '90 when i picked it up. it was used, but the clerk at the store didn't know what year it was, or how to figure it out. i paid $350 for it, and i loved that guitar. a few years back, i kinda got out of playing as much, and sold most of my equipment. i sold that same v for close to $1000. now that i'm back to playing again, i regret that day every day. i loved that guitar, and it had the most awesome sound.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Yeah, I play. Not well enough to start a band, but enough to where it's a satisfying hobby for me.

I don't know how far I'd go with signature models, but I'd definately get myself and authentic Gibson Les Paul, Explorer, Flying V, and a Fender American Stratocaster. These have always been my favorite guitars, and I gotta pick one up and dream every time I buy strings at the local guitar store.

Someday, man. If I sold my collection, I could probably afford that Ace Frehley signature Les Paul AND Gene Simmons' signature axe bass, though I don't play bass, but that is simply the coolest guitar in the world. :D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2004, 10:15 PM »
yeah, my les paul is the only guitar i still have. sold everything else. i love it dearly, and it's the best sounding guitar i've ever played, but man... that sucker is heavy. i love doing studio work with it, cause the tone is awesome, but playing a live show? sucks. i give mad props to any guitar players who can play an entire show, not to mention an entire tour, with nothing but les pauls. guys like slash and zakk wylde who use nothing but.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2004, 10:23 PM »
Heck yeah. That guitar has to be pushing 14-15 lbs. That's pretty damn heavy to have around your shoulder all night.

I used to have a Les Paul copy, and I never really liked the neck on it. It felt too thick. But, I think that was because I was grooving on a cheap De Armond with a slim neck.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2004, 07:43 PM »
I used to collect SW, but got out of it, and just in time to get good money for most of it too.  I still grab Darth Vader stuff now and then.  My SW collecting now solely consists of the .45 scale Master Replica sabers.  I'm also a die-hard Sports Picks collector.  I've also been grabbing the South Park figs recently (picked up Timmy down at Comic Con.)  

SilverZ

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2004, 10:18 PM »

i have the kill bill figures by neca, but i think (hope) that those were just a one time deal. i'd love them to release more, but at the same time, i'm fine with just the 5 (or six if you include the quentin tarantino exclusive  ;D )

I've been collecting Kill Bill stuff as well. Just got this today from EE:

It's a 13" resin statue (pretty much what I figure is that NECA uses double scale sculpting and this is the original scale version). It's numbered 309 of 600 for North America. Pretty nifty. Cost a bit much at a really bad time in my finances, but it's a one shot deal, so... had to have it.

There's supposed to be a second wave of figures, but I'm surprised they've not been discussed too much or shown. Maybe they're dead in the water. They showed O-Ren a long time ago, they've removed her images from their site, and there's no new news.  ???