Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135908 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #270 on: June 3, 2011, 11:41 AM »
The New GL Books have been announced now as well.

Once again, I notice there is no mention of Hal being the Green Lantern in GL #1.  I'm assuming it's him, but it would be like DC to put out a book with no Hal at the same time there is a Hal/GL movie. And, based on the movie and the direction Johns has been heading with Thaal, I wouldn't be surprised if when the #1 kicks off, Thaal Sinestro will be GL of Korugar again.  That way a whole new generation can watch "the Fall of Sinestro" - I can see the 4-part arc already! :-X

Interesting to see Kyle gets his 'own' book again in the GL Rainbow Raiders New Guardians book... I wonder though if he'll be a GL or if he'll end up with a Blue Ring like so many people have been rumoring for a while...  or will the "new Guardians" all have the emoticon powers (Ion, Predator, Parallax, etc)?
« Last Edit: June 3, 2011, 11:41 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #271 on: June 3, 2011, 01:31 PM »
or will the "new Guardians" all have the emoticon powers (Ion, Predator, Parallax, etc)?

EMOTICON POWERS???!!!

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  >:(  :(  :o  8)  ???  ::)  :P  :-[  :-X  :-\  :-*  :'(  >:D

Where's a dancing banana when you need one??!!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 3, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Judging by the interview with the new Flash team over at Newsarama, it sounds like Barry is still the Flash, so at least we know one for sure now :).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #273 on: June 6, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Batman Day.

Oh man, I HATE the idea of Detective Comics #1.  Goobye 880+ issue legacy.   :'(

Looks like we've got these announced so far...
Batman #1 = Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo
Detective #1 = Tony Daniel
Batman & Robin #1 = Peter Tomasi / Pat Gleason
Dark Knight #1 = David Finch / Jay Fabok

Notes
- Bruce = one and only Batman
- Damian = Robin

Still no word on Tim, Dick, or Barbara...  though the Barbara as Batgirl rurmors are still flowing strong.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2011, 11:48 AM by Jeff »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 6, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Batman Day.

Oh man, I HATE the idea of Detective Comics #1.  Goobye 880+ issue legacy.   :'(

Looks like we've got these announced so far...
Batman #1 = Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo
Detective #1 = Tony Daniel
Batman & Robin #1 = Peter Tomasi / Pat Gleason
Dark Knight #1 = David Finch / Jay Fabok

Notes
- Bruce = one and only Batman
- Damian = Robin

Still no word on Tim, Dick, or Barbara...  though the Barbara as Batgirl rurmors are still flowing strong.

Glad to start getting some info on the Bat-world.  Agreed on Detective #1....I really wish they would have just left Detective/Action alone.  Otherwise, I'm somewhat excited to see what is to come with the Bat titles (and see where Dick, Tim, Barbara end up).  Interesting that Damian is Robin with Bruce's Batman.  I mean, the character has really become a strong one over the past couple years and I thought they would try to include him, but with the possibly de-aging of heroes like Bruce, Clark, Hal, Diana, etc. I was wondering how they would make it fit.  I see IGN is saying there will be more news later today, and in their image gallery there is a pic of an awfully Barbara-looking Batgirl.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #275 on: June 6, 2011, 02:48 PM »
in their image gallery there is a pic of an awfully Barbara-looking Batgirl.

It's confirmed - Barbara Gordon = Batgirl.  I guess this explains why Simone wasn't as mad as everyone else was that she was being taken off BoP. :P

Four more Bat-Titles...
Batwoman #1 = J.H. Williams III, Haden Blackman, Amy Reeder
Batgirl #1 = Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf, Vicente Cifuentes
Catwoman #1 = Judd Winick, Guillem March.
Birds of Prey #1 = Duane Swierczynski, Jesus Saiz

Still nothing on Tim that I have seen... but lots of rumors and an alleged pic that show Dick will in fact be heading back to his Nightwing persona.

I can't believe they are going to undo Oracle and restore Babs to Batgirl...  really makes me wonder how they are going to pull that off and not tick off the ADA folks who loved having a wheelchair bound hero.  Maybe it'll be some combo of both, like her batgirl suit has some advanced tech that allows her to walk but without it she's in the wheelchair?  Or is this rebooting the whole Batgirl history?  More wait and see I guess...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 6, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Dick has now been confirmed as Nightwing.

Jason Todd is coming back in "Red Hood and the Outlaws," along with Arsenal and Starfire. 
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #277 on: June 6, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Well, I guess I'm glad it's Dick and not Jason that is returning to Nightwing.  The "Jason as Nightwing" thing they tried in One Year Later storylines was stupid and I'd have been mad if they went that route with Jason again.  Of course, at this point I doubt they do anything with Jason that I will like...  I was really hoping that they would use this 'not a reboot' reboot to put Jason back in the ground where he belongs. :P

But, from the looks of that story, it sounds like Jason is (once again) attempting to reform himself as an anti-hero.  Ugh.  ::)  Someone remind me again why they brought him back from the dead?  So that he could waffle back and forth between "anti-hero" and villian?  It looks like they are setting up this book to be the place they are going to stick the characters they have screwed up so bad that even a reboot can't save them (I'm looking at you, Roy Harper).

Still nothing on Tim...?  I'm still assuming he'll be "Red Robin" based on everything that has come out today.  Nice job on DC's part drawing this out over the whole day...   

Also starting to wonder more about Superman.  Will they come right out and say "no more marriage to Lois" or will it have to be dragged out of things they infer with the Superman solicits...?  Or will the marriage stay?  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: June 6, 2011, 03:54 PM by Jeff »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 6, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Glad we're at least getting some confirmation on where things are headed - and at least in this case they are actually confirming that yes, Bruce is Batman/Dick is Nightwing/Damian is Robin/Barb is Batgirl.  There sure is a mess of books in the Bat-universe coming up though.  I did see that Grant Morrison's Batman Inc. is coming back in January of 2012, so that's good news that it is at least coming up.

Like Jeff, I guess I'm glad Dick Grayson is Nightwing instead of Jason Todd, but otherwise I'm not sure what to think of it.  Other than Spidey/Peter Parker (and possibly Bruce/Bats) Dick Grayson has always been one of my favorite characters, and while I really like the Nightwing persona and everything, he just doesn't seem real relevant or important to the DCU (at least in the past).  I mean, I can understand not reverting him to Robin (that may have been too much) and also, to some extent, returning Bruce to the only "Batman" (since part of the point of their reboot is to make things easier to understand for new readers) - but I feel like Dick was much more integral to the DCU in both of those roles than as Nightwing.  I just hope that they keep him more involved with the rest of the DCU, and not just let him fade away a bit again.  To me, he is sort of one of the pillars of the original DCU alongside the "Big 7" and a few others.

As mentioned, still wondering where Tim Drake fits into things - unless that announcement is yet to come.  Looks like there are potentially some nice books coming up, but speaking as someone who most of the time was reading the majority of the Bat-related titles, I don't think I'll be able to do that anymore.  A lot of stuff on the way.  I will sort of miss the Dick Grayson/Damian Wayne B & R though, good stuff.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #279 on: June 7, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Hmmph.  Instead of Superman, it looks like today is "boring magic-based comics that Jeff never reads" day.  Sure are a lot of magic/mystery/horror themed books there...

Oh well, we wait a little bit more for the fate of Tim, Superman, the Teen Titans, and the rest...
« Last Edit: June 7, 2011, 12:27 PM by Jeff »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 7, 2011, 01:38 PM »
That Justice League Dark book sounds kind of interesting.  I know there was a Constantine book, but was there an equivalent book to this, pre-reboot?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #281 on: June 7, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Yeah, they were called Shadowpact

From wikipedia:  "The Shadowpact is a group of magic-based heroes who fought against the Spectre in the 2005 limited series Day of Vengeance, published by DC Comics. They are a sort of Justice League for the supernatural elements of the DC Universe."

It was a slightly different roster, but the same idea - group of magic/supernatural heroes who fight demons and black magic users and other stuff like that...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 8, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Well I think we know where Tim Drake is showing up now.  Teen Titans is one of those books I always wanted to get into more.  It is a neat concept (and one I really think they should be pursuing for a movie), but I've either always come in too late or wasn't interested enough in the current lineup (I also like Titans when it is sort of the "big guns" of the Titan world, similar to JLA).  Looking at this pic of the new team though, it just screams '90s to me.  I'll probably give it a try, as it is a chance to get in at the beginning of Titans for once for me, but the interview makes it sound like this may be a book with the most changes.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2011, 10:28 AM by Brian »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #283 on: June 10, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Finally, Superman.

You know, I think I've come full circle on the reboot -
- The books I liked, I'm not sure I like anymore due to all the changes (Dick back to Nightwing, "new" Teen Titans, etc).
- but the books I never bought (Superman) are actually looking good for the first time in a long, loing time.

I'm digging the idea of Grant Morrison on Superman - if he can revitalize him the way Grant's bat-books have been, I think I'll enjoy it (and it'd be the first time that I like a Superman book since pre-Doomsday Death).

I will admit though that I have no idea what is going on with Conner/Superboy now - is he some kind of a cyborg/robot thing now?   ???

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 10, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Yeah, they sure put off the Superman announcements long enough.  Not surprisingly, we won't know for sure about the Super-marriage prior to reading the book (unless rumors/leaks give it away).  As a Spidey fan who went through this once (although I do really enjoy the book now, I think it could be as good with the MJ marriage too), I hope they don't do away with Clark-Lois, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm sort of on two sides as well.  Some stuff I'm sort of excited for, and some I'm not.  Like I said, I'm a big Dick Grayson fan, and I'm a little worried how relevant he will be to the DCU in the Nightwing role again (plus, I really liked the Dick and Damian Batman and Robin).  Other than that, I'm sort of excited for the Bat titles (although I would have been without the reboot too), and I'll pick up at least some of the GL books as well.  I'm really happy to see the big guns in the JLA again.  Other than that, I may check out Action and/or Superman, and probably the Aquaman book (possibly Teen Titans, although I'm not sure yet).

I will admit though that I have no idea what is going on with Conner/Superboy now - is he some kind of a cyborg/robot thing now?   ???

Yeah, not sure what is up with Superboy.  He does look like a cyborg on the one cover, and then sort of different on the Teen Titans cover.  Not sure what we're going to get there.

They are still saying the Johns/Lee have some "bombshell" announcements about the future of Superman and the entire DCU coming tomorrow night (at Heroes something or other), so I wonder what is left to say?  Maybe it has something to do with the movie slate, or they are just going to give more information about the relaunch.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:55 PM by Brian »