Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135902 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #405 on: August 7, 2013, 12:45 PM »
50 Shades of Comic Book Heroes

If Todd McFarlane era Mary Jane is going to get nekkid, I'm in.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 7, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Speaking of comics..what is everyone reading these days (or is anyone reading)?  This area hasn't been real active lately, but maybe that is due to people dropping books, etc.  I've been considering making the switch to digital, or at least for some of the titles, because the longboxes are becoming an issue.  I'm already stretching the Mrs. patience with rubbermaids of action figures, let alone boxes of comics taking up space as well.  I think there are a few titles I'd always want print copies of (and most of the Marvel ones come with a free digital one as well), but I think I'm closer to making the switch eventually.

As for what I'm reading....still too much.  I've gotten into a lot of the Marvel books after trying some different ones out with the Marvel NOW revamp.  Looking to trim a few of these off - I'm still enjoying them, but its just too many for what my budget should be:

Marvel
Superior Spider-Man
Superior Spider-Man Team Up
All New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men
Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
New Avengers
Fantastic Four
FF
Daredevil
Captain America
Guardians of the Galaxy
Nova
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
Infinity

I've picked up a couple other titles here and there (Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, X-Men), but consistently buy the ones listed above.  Still missing Peter Parker from the Spidey books, and hope he comes back sooner than later.  On the DC side, I've stuck mainly to Bat-related stuff, Justice League, and the new Superman Unchained title.  I dropped GL after Johns left (not because of quality, just as an excuse), and I'm always tempted by the Flash but have stayed away there as well.  Other than that, I'm reading the Star Wars title at Dark Horse and TMNT with my daughter.  I'd like to get the list down to at least 2/3, although I am enjoying what I'm reading.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #407 on: August 9, 2013, 03:21 AM »
I've been checking out the various Crossed series as well as Jennifer Blood and The Last Zombie.  Definitely not PG-13 or below, but some interesting storylines!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 9, 2013, 09:28 AM »
I'm up to 30 Titles a month now.  Ugh.  Mostly Marvel books, and pretty much all of the Star Wars & Transformers titles.  I can't believe how many different Avengers books there are now.  I like the individual storylines, but I'm a continuity guy and all these stories happening at once with different teams bugs me.  I'm enjoying Iron Man's trek through space in his own book and GOTG.  The new Hawkeye book is spectacular - more detective like, with some good humor and great plot twists.  I'm only reading Captain Marvel for the tie-in.  Just haven't been able to get into that book or Captain America despite the Avengers connection.  Walking Dead is still the book I go to first each month.   

I get my comics via subscription to scifigenre.com.  They offer a 25% discount at 20 "regular" books and cheap shipping.  I like that the books come bagged and boarded too, though I swear they are using the cheapist bags in the world now.  I miss visiting the comic store to pick up various other titles that spark my attention or leaf through something new, but the sub is a huge time saver and honestly I'm already buying too much.  I haven't read any of my Transformers books since I moved in December.   ::)  Here's my monthly list...

Avengers    New Avengers   Mighty Avengers    Avengers Assemble    Secret Avengers 
  Avengers AI    Young Avengers    Uncanny Avengers    Avengers Arena    Guardians OTG 
  Hawkeye    Iron Man    Thor: GOT    Journey/Mystery    Captain Marvel 
  Infinity    Infinity:Hunt    Cataclysm    Hunger    Walking Dead 
  Star Wars    SW: Dark Times   SW: Vader & 9th Assn    SW: Legacy Vol.2  The Star Wars
  Transfomers: MTMTE    Transformers: RID    Transformers: Regeneration    Transformers: Monstrosity    Transformers: Spotlight 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 9, 2013, 09:49 AM »
I was going to say: when do you have the time to read them all between work, kids, house, figure hunting, etc.  ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #410 on: August 9, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Still reading nothing.  Since I gave up new comics back in March'12, I've been tempted by things here or there (Johns' GL, Snyder Batman), but I stayed the course.

I'm at the point now where I don't even go to the newsarama/bleedingcool sites to keep up on the storylines and spoilers anymore.  :-X

BUT, with that said...  I've become more interested than ever in finishing out my pre-crisis/pre-nu52 DCU Flash/GL collections.  In other words, I'm still wasting money on comics...  just 60s/70s/80s Flash/Batman/Green Lantern comics. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 9, 2013, 12:40 PM »
I was going to say: when do you have the time to read them all between work, kids, house, figure hunting, etc.  ;)

I try to read a book or two before bed most nights - there's not really any time during the day for me.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2013, 06:00 AM »
Avengers - solid/good
New Avengers - amazing
Uncanny Avengers - really good
Avengers Arena - one of the unsuspecting top titles in Marvel Now
Secret Avengers - solid
Uncanny X-Men - disappointing
All-New X-Men - solid
Uncanny X-Force - disappointing/solid
Cable and X-Force - good/solid
Superior Spider-Man - solid
Superior Foes of Spider-Man - solid
Daredevil - solid
Thunderbolts - solid/good
Ultimate Spider-Man - good/really good

** My scale: bad-->disappointing-->solid-->good-->really good-->amazing

Prior to Marvel Now, the 3 books I found to be the best were Uncanny X-Force (2010), Thunderbolts (2009-2012), and Wolverine (2010).

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 21, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Superior Foes of Spider-Man has been super entertaining!!  What a different quirky title.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #414 on: June 3, 2014, 01:04 PM »
It's been pretty interesting following the latest Marvel rumors...  lots of stuff coming out of the woodwork regarding Disney/Marvel's sneaky attempts to sink Fox's 2015 Fantastic Four film.

Word is that Marvel is planning on dropping the FF books leading up to the FF movie next summer to spite Fox.

Not only are they rumored to be dropping the FF books, but Marvel has already directed artists to stop using the FF characters for sketch cards or other promo art.  The FF characters (and the X-Men, also Fox movie property) are conspicuously missing from the Marvel 75th Anniversay issue cover.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 3, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Damn, what a mess. It's my all time favorite comics franchise, but it's hard to feel any sympathy for Fox after the abominable last 2 films, and what looks to be an equally awful reboot. I can't blame Marvel for wanting to distance themselves from that drek. It annoys me to no end that they don't exist in the same universe as the Avengers though.

I hate to see that play out with the comics too, even though I haven't read that title since John Byrne left. They are one of the cornerstone, tent pole type superhero teams IMO, and they deserve better.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 3, 2014, 03:29 PM »
I can't say that I would blame Marvel / Disney / Marvel Studios for trying to undermine Fox and what may be another abyssmal film that's really just an attempt to cash in and hang on to movie rights.  I would be surprised if there are any clauses or conditions in Fox's film options regarding the continued publication of the books their movies are based upon.

If the past few years have shown comic fans anything, it's that Marvel has proven to be much better stewards of their content when it comes to translating those properties to film.  And in light of the previous 2 FF movies and the lackluster fan response to the Spiderman reboots, perhaps Marvel / Disney / Marvel Studios is looking to bring some of these properties home where they'll be treated with the respect they deserve.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #418 on: July 3, 2014, 12:28 AM »
Is anyone reading Original Sin and if so, is it worth a blind buy? Been craving some comic book action, its either this or picking up Deadpool's Minibus.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #419 on: July 3, 2014, 06:51 AM »
I've read nothing but raves about Original Sin.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj