Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135926 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2004, 09:37 AM »
Thanks for the clear up Mikey, I really didn't know what was going on in the comic, but just picked up my first (older) issue last week, and decided to take a look on Dark Horse's site to see what was going on now.  Sounds like an interesting storyline though....do you regularly read this comic?  If so, what do you think of it?

Yep, regularly read Empire, Republic and Tales.  One shots and mini-series, I decide on once I browse through them at the store.  The majority of the stories are pretty good, but sometimes there are a few clunkers.  Honestly, right now, I like Republic more, but that's because it's dealing with the Clone Wars and I like seeing cool ass alien Jedi. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 9, 2005, 10:41 PM »
A good little article on cartooning:

http://journal.aiga.org/content.cfm?ContentAlias=%5Fgetfullarticle&aid=%23%2C%2EK%24%0A

Ps. Notice the brief mention of Wally Wood, undoubtedly the greatest comic artist ever!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 02:23 PM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2005, 02:58 PM »
After reading through Jeff's new Green Lantern thread over in the "Other Collectibles" area, it got me to thinking about comics and I thought I'd drudge up this topic to see what everyone is reading now (if anything).

When I first started back into comics, I decided to subscribe to a few of my favorites, since our nearest comic shop is a little ways away, and I didn't know if I'd want to/be able to drive over there all the time.  I know this probably isn't "the norm" for people to do, but I thought it would be easier.  It turns out I still stop in there occasionally ;).  I mainly stick to "superhero" comics, as well as a Star Wars one here and there.  Here's what I've been reading lately:

Amazing Spider-Man - subscribed to, and I've enjoyed it.  Read this comic as a kid too.

Fantastic Four - subscribed to as well, and I've also liked it.

Superman - subscribed to, and enjoy it when it comes.  Not sure if it is just me - or if it is DC - but this is always at least two weeks late, and I still haven't gotten the July 6 issue...the comic is fun for me though.

Superman/Batman - I've been picking up the collected works, but I have a few individual issues as well.  I like this book, a fun read for me at least.

House of M - A miniseries that I have picked up so far, and I'm interested to see where it goes.  I've also picked some of the "tie ins" like Spider-man - House of M and Fantastic Four - House of M.  I won't discuss any spoilers here, but it looks like some things in the Marvel U could be changing after this.

JLA - Haven't gotten an issue in awhile, just because I'm spending enough the way it is.  Always enjoy the JL though, although I admit I don't really know what's going on in there right now.

Ultimate Spider-Man - A title Mikey suggested, and it really is a nice read.  I've been picking it up in TPB form, but to be honest I haven't gotten one in awhile.  I guess I haven't had the money with all the ROTS stuff this year :P.

Star Wars - Haven't gotten any in awhile, but thinking about checking out the books when they "revamp" things in 2006.  I'd lean more towards the OT timeline tales myself, so I'd have to see how the set up is.  Sounds like there will be a Knights of the Old Republic style comic (ongoing), and then some miniseries...starting with "Rebellion" if I remember right.

Anyone else reading right now?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 02:07 PM by mosnab »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2005, 03:17 PM »
Here is my current subsciber list at Krayz' Comics:

Batgirl - this one has really grown on me.  She's not Barbra Gordon, but it's been pretty good lately with her move to Bludhaven.

Batman - I can never leave the Bat.

Detective Comics - The City of Crime story is OK, but it's kinda dragging on.  12 issues is a loooong time especially when 1-2 issues get delayed.   ::)

Gotham Central - I love this book.  A gritty "Cop Show" type of comic about how the Gotham Cops deal with the Bat.

Gotham Knights - Eh, I'm reading this one out of Habit now, I really should drop it since I'm tired of the Hush nonsense.  :-\

Green Arrow - Glad DC brought Ollie back - hard to believe it's been 4 years!

Green Lantern - Thank you for Geoff Johns.  That dude flat out knows how to write comics.  I love his take on the newly resurrected Green Lantern Hal Jordan.   ;D

Green Lantern Corps: Recharge - Hasn't started yet (September), but I am so looking forward to the return of the GLC to the DCU.  About time!

Infinite Crisis - Hasn't started yet (October), but I'm really looking forward to this one to see if they can top CoIE.

JLA - I usually grab this one on and off, depending on the story and the fetured characters.  When it was Waid or Morrison, it was religiously, but now not so much.  I am hooked on the latest story line - the link between Identity Crisis and Infinite Crises.

JSA - Another Geoff Johns book.  I will most likely read anything this guy writes because he knows his Silver Age and mythos like the back of his hand.  Fantastic writer is the most important to me, I don't care how great a book looks, if the story sucks I hate it.   :-\

Nightwing - It's kinda floating in a strange direction now, but I'm hanging in to see where it ends up...

Robin - See Nightwing = new creative team = adjustment period to see if I like it

Teen Titans - SEE ABOVE COMMENTS ON GEOFF JOHNS.

The Flash - SEE ABOVE COMMENTS ON GEOFF JOHNS.  I never thought anyone would top Waid's run, but I LOVE what Geoff has done for Wally.  It's an absolute fantastic book and my second favorite (behind GL) at the moment.

That's pretty much it for me.  No Marvel anymore, no Star Wars anymore, but I can't leg go of my DC.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2005, 03:21 PM »
The Flash - SEE ABOVE COMMENTS ON GEOFF JOHNS.  I never thought anyone would top Waid's run, but I LOVE what Geoff has done for Wally.  It's an absolute fantastic book and my second favorite (behind GL) at the moment.

This is one book I've been thinking about picking up.  I've always been kind of a fan of the Flash, but never really had the chance to read the comic as much as I would have liked growing up.  Glad to hear that it is recommended, might have to swing by the comic shop this weekend and pick up a couple of past issues to see what its like.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2005, 03:28 PM »

This is one book I've been thinking about picking up.  I've always been kind of a fan of the Flash, but never really had the chance to read the comic as much as I would have liked growing up.  Glad to hear that it is recommended, might have to swing by the comic shop this weekend and pick up a couple of past issues to see what its like.

The Flash is currently on part 4 of a 6 part story.  If you can go back a few issues (3-4) and pick up from there it's a fantastic story.  Basically the 1/2 of Flash's Rogues Gallery that have "gone" good are fighting with the "still evil" half of the Rogues.

It's all out mayhem with Wally in the middle trying his best to control it all when an old friend from the past (future?) drops in to cause chaos!  A great story and a great over view of 10-12 of Wally's biggest villians!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2005, 03:33 PM »
I'm reading The Avengers and Captain America from 1982!  I'll spare the part about where I am reading them :-*

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2005, 03:46 PM »
Current grabs:

Marvel:
Ultimate Spider-man
Ultimate FF
The Ultimates
Fantastic Four (regular)
The Pulse
Daredevil
Marvel Knights Spider-man
Supreme Power

DC:
JSA
Teen Titans
Outsiders

Others:
Empire
Republic
Tales
GI Joe
Savage Dragon

As you can see, I'm more of a Marvel guy.  Spidey is and always has been my favorite character.  But DC is putting out some quality books now.

I'm also catching on Powers after my comic book guy saw me buying all these Bendis' books and not buying this one.  He recommended it and I bought the first TPB and was hooked.  Just ordered volumes 7 & 8 and will add it to the monthly pull list once a good jumping on point begins.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2005, 12:39 AM »
I used to read a lot of different titles....but kind of gave up on it years ago (about the time Spider-Man was having his little clone identity crisis).

A couple of years ago, I started reading Amazing Spider-Man again, when J. Michael Straczynski who was the creator of Babylon 5.  He really turned the title around and I was compelled to start reading it again.

The guy at the local comic shop is kind of suprised at me that I only buy the one title.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Latley I've been on a whicked Batman/Gothom/Robin kick. I recently picked up Dark Knight Strikes Again, Batman War Drums, and also Superman: Godfall. All really good books. I also picked up the Venom Vs Carnage saga in book form. Fantastic story, while the animation is a little weird.

I'm on such a kick I had T-Shirts with the current Batman logo from Hush and the latest storyline made up. I have to pick them up tuesday.

Jeff, please PM me and let me know whats up with Hush these days? Have they explained where Jasons body is? I have the Hush collection on my PC, but I read in the back of the latest Robin that Hush aproaches Catwoman next month...whatsupwithdat? ???

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2005, 07:34 AM »
Current Reading Material:

Marvel:
Ultimate Spider-Man
Marvel Knights Spider-Man
Max Punisher
New Avengers
Mini series stuff (i.e. Wolverine vs. Punisher  / Daredevil vs. Punisher / Spider-Man: Breakout)

I nab TPB & Marvel masterworks now and then (the Ultimates, Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Dr. Strange

DC:

Random Batman Titles, if there is a cool bad guy in it.  ;D

Dark Horse:
SWEmpire
Republic
Tales

Devils Due
GI Joe: Reloaded

Wizard Press
Toyfare   ;) (not a comic, but damn close)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2005, 11:10 AM »
I’m been on a Corben kick, acquiring any graphic novels that I can find. When I was a kid I remember being mesmerized by his art- his technique is amazing.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2005, 03:11 PM »
As you can see, I'm more of a Marvel guy.  Spidey is and always has been my favorite character.  But DC is putting out some quality books now.

I've usually been much the same.  Spidey is and always has been my favorite as well, and I really grew up on Marvel comics more than anything else.  DC characters appealed to me as well (particularly Superman, Batman, Flash/JLU), but I think overall I was more into the "Marvel Universe" overall.  Now, I seem to be split between the two.  For some reason I've been becoming more interested in DC characters lately, although I'm not sure exactly why.  A lot of it might stem from the Justice League, just because a "team" with all the big hitters on it is kind of neat to me.  I guess I still think the same way as I did when I was a kid with this :P.  It seems like, outside of Spidey, my Marvel favorites are more teams...X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers.  In DC, it isn't just JLA, I like the individual heroes as well.  Superman has always been a favorite, and of course, Batman as well, but I like characters like the Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Captain Marvel, Green Arrow, etc.  A lot of neat individuals I think, that also happen to make a great team.  Anyways, I guess I've been more divided lately with my comics between DC and Marvel (and considering DH's Star Wars once they revamp things), but I guess its ok to buy both ;).  I'm still learning the DC universe, growing up moreso a Marvel kid :).  I think I'll always stick with the big two (for me) Spider-man and Superman.  After that, its kind of a mix of different things (F4, JLA, X-Men, Flash, etc.) that I happen to find interesting.  As in my collecting though, I really need to focus things in a little bit ;).

For you comic readers, to you tend to go with your favorite characters/teams' books...or do you follow particular writers/artists and try a variety of books?  Do you try something out just because of word of mouth or any reason like that?  I tend to stick with my favorite characters, usually regardless of writer/artist, unless I really dislike it.  Spider-Man and Superman (and F4 right now) are subscriptions for me, so I stick with those no matter what, but the others I sometimes pick and choose.  Just curious what some others' tastes are.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 03:48 PM by mosnab »

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2005, 05:27 AM »
I bought the vol. 1 of Preacher about two years ago and Finally read it. I must say, it was excellent, and I plan to get the entire series. I'm not sure what to say about it. It's written by Garth Ennis and illustrated by Dillon, a team who also did Punsher for a good while. Ennis still doing Punisher now even..

Basically about a guy who was a reverend in small Texan town and becomes possesed by an entity.
the spawn of the love between an angel and demon. Something of  Godly origin.. and then it takes off from there..

very cool, and a bit grapic at times.. I reccomend it.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2005, 05:30 PM »
Current grabs:

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man
X-Men
Uncanny X-Men (waiting for Claremont to leave this book. He's worse than Austen now)
Ultimate FF
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
The Ultimates (most recent issue really kicks ass)
Marvel Knights 4
MK Spider-Man
The Punisher MAX
House of M
Daredevil vs. Punisher: Means and Ends

DC
Batman

Devil's Due
GI Joe America's Elite

Dark Horse
Star Wars Empire
Tales (not anymore now that the most recent issue is the last)
Conan

Other
Red Sonja from Dynamite Press

I also read miniseries and other books like Milk & Cheese, Barry Ween: Boy Genius, and other stuff like that.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk