Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 136456 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #450 on: January 29, 2016, 10:24 AM »
DC has just released an updated image of the new and improved XTREME Scooby Doo -

"The name's Scooby D.
And I rock the telly.
I'm half Joe Camel and a third Fonzarelli.
I'm the Kung-Fu hippie, from Gangsta City.
I'm a rappin' surfer.
You the fool I pity."
If this was Facebook you would have gotten a thumbs up on that one

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 29, 2016, 12:29 PM »
oh for the love of...

Please don't piss all over the Herculoids!

:'(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2016, 11:19 AM »
Comics, man.

On the same day that DC (well, really Geoff Johns) tries to right the DCU ship and bring hope, love and (FINALLY) someone they erased back to the DCU and finally kill the stupid nu52 junk (DC Rebirth #1 = awesome, by the way), Marvel goes out and basically tries to ruin one of their best characters (yes, with something that is sure to be eventually undone or revealed as a long con - but still).

Wonder how Joe Simon and Jack Kirby (both Jewish) would feel about today's Marvel news...   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2016, 11:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with this turn of events.  It's like they just think of the most ridiculous options possible to get the free PR.  I thought Thor as a girl was about the lowest they could go, but this is worse.  Ugh.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2016, 12:25 PM »
I'm just amazed at the "outrage" that Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes should be gay instead of best buds growing up together.  Plus the whole Cap was kissing on Carter's grand niece or something didn't make it obvious.

As for the Cap comic news... I agree with you two. Really?  After all these years?  Well, we know this can't be tied in to the MCU... Or maybe it can.  In the comic 'verse, anything can happen.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:39 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2016, 08:19 PM »
What happened at Marvel?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32 PM »
What happened at Marvel?

The Cap is actually a Hydra agent after all these years.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 26, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Lame.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 26, 2016, 09:08 AM »
I guess Cap has new writers. They write what they know about.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 26, 2016, 09:24 AM »
Isn't Marvel rebooting again this fall, not even a year after their last failed reboot? This is why I don't read their comics.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 26, 2016, 03:38 PM »
I'm usually pretty open minded when they try these shake ups in the comic books, knowing that eventually things will go back to normal. I've seen nearly every hero die, then come back, be mind controlled, or have their body taken over by a villain....and eventually things go back. That being said, this one just doesn't sit right with me. There is a good article over at Newsarama, "Why can't they just let Captain America be Captain America", basically detailing how since he was "killed" after Civil War he has been lost in time, then in another dimension, then aged, then depowered, and now this. It seems to work well with the movies having Cap be the All-American leader, who always does the right thing...the comics seem to shy away from that. This twist, and they said there is no doppelgänger, mind control, etc. to this, fundamentally changes the character. Hopefully things will work out, it's only one issue, but this is one change I'm not a fan of.

As far as Marvel's situation, they haven't ever really done a "reboot". They start over at new number ones, nearly yearly, but the previous stories and history are still in tact. They almost run the books like tv in a way, with a new "season" each year. I guess this keeps the history for older readers, while offering an easy entry point for new readers. I think they think an "issue 542" might scare some people off. DCs New 52 initiative that is just wrapping up now, was more of a reboot that started a new history, which they seem to be course correcting a bit now by bringing back stuff from prior to that. Hopefully it works, because I had dropped down to basically 3 books now from DC as the rest seemed unfamiliar or dark for dark's sake.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 26, 2016, 05:30 PM »
I've been teetering on the edge of dropping my Marvel subscriptions for a while now.  This might do it for me.  I'm not a fan of most of the current stories and they didn't really sort things out well from Secret Wars in my opinion.  I don't need to be paying $4 a book to read about Hydra Cap and Lady Thor - I'd rather go back and read some of the old stuff than these PR stunts.  Still love the movies, but the comics are just out of hand.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #462 on: May 27, 2016, 08:05 AM »
In three months you'll find out this is actually a clone of Steve Rogers.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #463 on: May 27, 2016, 08:06 AM »
As far as Marvel's situation, they haven't ever really done a "reboot".

That's completely inaccurate.  At the beginning of Secret Wars last year, the Marvel Multiverse was destroyed.  Dr. Doom cobbled together a kingdom, saving (or recreating) everyone he could.  A handful of heroes who survived the destruction in lifeboats orchestrated a civil war against Doom and won.  In the end, the new unified universe was created by Franklin Richards.  It combined elements of the traditional Marvel universe, Ultimate universe, and the cinematic universe.

It was a full-scale reboot.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 27, 2016, 09:55 AM »
As far as Marvel's situation, they haven't ever really done a "reboot".

That's completely inaccurate.  At the beginning of Secret Wars last year, the Marvel Multiverse was destroyed.  Dr. Doom cobbled together a kingdom, saving (or recreating) everyone he could.  A handful of heroes who survived the destruction in lifeboats orchestrated a civil war against Doom and won.  In the end, the new unified universe was created by Franklin Richards.  It combined elements of the traditional Marvel universe, Ultimate universe, and the cinematic universe.

It was a full-scale reboot.

You are absolutely right, there was a lot of condensing of universes and definitely a fresh start again, I guess it comes down to what you consider a reboot. Comic book stuff is always murky in that way to me. I look at something like DC's New 52, where not only was every comic restarted with #1 issues but the previous history was essentially erased or rewritten as well. Batman had only been operating for 5 years, but still had all the Robins at some point. The Justice League hadn't gotten together yet, and when they did assemble Cyborg was a founding member and Martian Manhunter wasn't anywhere to be found. Wally West completely disappeared, then came back as essentially a different character...there wasn't a JSA, etc. there are lots of examples, but they essentially took the approach of "this is the first time any of this happened, or any of them met, etc.". They even went back and did a "Zero Year" storyline with Batman.

The Marvel stuff is a little bit different. Yes, they consolidated the Ultimate Universe with the 616 (and others), essentially plucking their favorite stuff or versions from throughout worlds or storylines (Miles Morales, Old Man Logan, etc., but the overall Marvel history was still in tact and generally the same. The characters still know each other, have extensive histories (as in they didn't just start being heroes and didn't just form teams), and the stuff that happened before still exists. The various Marvel comics still reference things that happened prior to Secret Wars, or even the Secret War itself in some cases. A fresh start for sure, but not necessarily a total reboot to me. Again, it's all in how you look at a reboot I guess. Like back when Marvel started up the now gone Ultimate Universe, if they would have quit publishing the regular 616 books and just stuck with the Ultimate U as the Marvel Universe, that is a hard reboot to me. The characters initially are based off of classic versions in most cases, but the stories became very different.