Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 136521 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2011, 08:52 PM »
A few more details about the DC reboot (courtesy of Bleeding Cool), this time relating to the timeline of the books:

Most of the released solicitation images for the DC Relaunch are not the covers for the first issue – so look forward to all those being announced soon as well.

Action Comics and Justice League are set in the past, the Green Lantern, Batman and LSH books are all continuing without a reboot. DCU Presents, Green Arrow and Hawkman are picking up where Brightest Day left off.

But for everything else, yes, it will be more of a reboot/restart. They are basically keeping the books going that were financially successful for them and restarting everything else.

The Flashpoint books were also being done by teams not being used in the reboot to help give those guys more time.

Not sure if this is "confirmed" or not, but interesting either way.  Sounds basically like Action Comics and Justice League are in the past, the Bat, GL, and Legion books are continuing as usual, Green Arrow, Hawkman, and DCU Presents are post-Brightest Day (or basically continuing as well), and the rest will be restarted.  Kind of strange they aren't all starting at the same point, but oh well.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 17, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Just curious for those of you who are currently buying/reading comics, do you get rid of some every so often or continue to keep all of them?  I had honestly sorted out a stack of some that I intended to sell to our local store, but that store has since closed and I've switched to online ordering at this point.  I have to admit - much like collecting - space becomes more of a concern as time goes on.  I've thought about paring it down more and not keeping as much (I guess this is where trade waiting may help some as well), but at the same time I don't have anywhere for them to go at this point and I'm unsure of what to keep.  Anyways, just curious if you keep all of your comics, do you unload them every so often (and maybe just keep some favorites)...have you switched to trades and/or online reading?  Honestly, I've thought about just keeping the runs of my very favorite characters and unloading some of the other stuff somehow.  In the older days, I would say you could even donate them to kid-centric places - but many of the "regular" (non Marvel Age/Johnny DC) comics these days aren't exactly kid friendly in many cases.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 17, 2011, 05:43 PM »
I pretty much keep everything, but I just had to buy a new long box the other day and I realized that with the Joe comics coming in 3 or 4 series, it's going to add up fast again.

I really don't know what to do with older issues.  I have a bunch of SW stuff I could probably clear out but I don't think there's any market it for it, wouldn't bring anything from the local store to add to their back issue collection, and I just hate tossing something like that.  Trades I could probably donate to the library, but single issues, not so much.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2011, 07:19 AM »
I keep almost all my new stuff as well.  I have thousands of books from when I was a kid though and am going to start selling them off in big chunks.  Space is really the issue for me too.  Most of my DC and independent books will be going.  I'm mainly going to try to just keep the Avengers and their character books (Iron Man, Thor, Cap, etc.) 

If you are looking to get rid of some, I have heard people get the best results from selling in lots.  If you bundle 10-20 issues together, you may have to sell the bundle for a little less, but better to get the dogs out the door along with the rarer issues.  Ebay or Craig's list will probably be the first places I go.  After that I'd probably have a garage sale or find a friend's where I can offer bundle packs for cheap.  Anything left after that, you either need to be patient and keep trying or just donate them.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #289 on: July 18, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I just hate tossing something like that. 

Halloween, dude!

Any kid that comes to the door in a comic-character costume gets a free comic (kid appropriate, of course).  Great way to get rid of those old issues that no one wants, a kid gets a free comic book (love their expressions when they see what they are getting) - everyone wins!

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Sounds like quite a few changes are in store for Superman with the upcoming DC relaunch.  Not sure I like it, although I obviously haven't read a single page yet.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:09 PM by Brian »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2011, 01:55 PM »
Not sure I like it, although I obviously haven't read a single page yet.

Ditto.  Saw this at DC - "Timeless and modern, classic and contemporary, but younger, brasher and more brooding, this is Superman. The New Man of Tomorrow."

Brooding?  So, do we blame Twilight for this?  ::) 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 19, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Newsarama has an interview up with Jim Lee and Dan Didio discussing some of the changes going into the upcoming DC "relaunch".  Some interesting stuff in there.  I'll admit, although I'm definitely checking out some of the books, I'm still not sure about some of this - particularly with Superman.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:52 PM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 8, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Another snippet concerning the new DCU:

"Robins are Interns"

Apparently, to help explain how the DCU is only five years old - yet Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne have all been Robin - the position is being made an internship?  Not a lot of other details about how past relationships and/or stories will be effected but I've got a bad feeling about this.  I've been fairly open minded about much of the new DCU stuff (aside from Superman, which sounds a bit iffy in some areas), but I was hoping much of Batman would be left alone.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2011, 08:52 PM by Brian »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #294 on: August 8, 2011, 09:02 PM »
The latest LXG was suitably trippy.  It was no Black Dossier, but it was good.  Recommended if you've read the rest.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #295 on: August 8, 2011, 09:31 PM »
I was hoping much of Batman would be left alone.

I have mentally prepared myself for the Bruce/Dick timeline to make NO sense.  It can't.  There is no way for Dick to be in his early 20s and Bruce be 30 and have it work.  Did 18 year old Bruce adopt 10 year old Dick?  Probably not.  This revamp is going to nuke a BUNCH of "Boy Wonder" stuff and replace it with a lot of "Teen Wonder" adventures.  :-\

I'm guessing it has to go something like

Bruce = 30
- started his training/travels at age 18
- started Batman-ing at age 22
- adopted Dick (15) at age 23
- went public to join JLA at age 25
- Dick leaves (Bruce = 27, Dick = 19)
- brought in Jason (17) at age 27
- brought in Tim (15) at age 28
- brought in Damien (12) at age 30

So, in present DC time, that would make:
Bruce = 30 (Batman for 8 years)
Dick = 22 (Robin for 4 years, Nightwing for 3 years)
Jason = 20 (Robin for 1 year, dead for 1 year, Red Hood for 1 year)
Tim = 17 (Robin for 2 years, rookie Red Robin)
Damien = 12 (rookie Robin)

That seems to work.  Dick gets to be a "Teen Wonder" from 15-19, then spends college years as Nightwing (with a little replacement Batman duty in those 3 nightwing years).  Jason still has time for his dirt nap (no idea if Death in the Family is still in continuity), and Tim gets a few years as Robin before turning into Red Robin to "form" the Teen Titans.  It also requires a very young Bruce (18) to get involved with Talia to create Damien.   ::)  But the timing does work at least...

The giant flaw with the timeline is how do you work Barbara in there?  Let's say she's 21, close to Dick's age - if she has been Batgirl for "just a few years" as some interviews have said, then I'm not sure how she could have overlapped with Dick/Robin since he's been Nightwing fr that long in my timeline.

Arrg... I have to stop now, I'm only making my brain hurt...

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Well, I think I have my DCnU pull list finalized for September...

Detective Comics #1 -  #1?  still can't believe that :(
Batman #1 -  see above
Batman and Robin #1
Nightwing #1
Batgirl #1
GL #1 - Sinestro?  I have to see how this plays out!
GLC #1
GL New Guardians #1 - but will drop this title quick if it has now real purpose/overall reason for the rainbow squad to exist
Flash #1 - another one that has a short leash... It's been over a year and I'm still not sold on the idea that bringing back Barry was a "good" idea (I miss Wally  :'()
JLA #1
Action #1 - I'll buy the first arc or two just to check out what Grant has planned for the "debut" of Superman
Superman #1 - same as Action, I'll read the first few to check out the new status quo for Supes, but will leave if it's not worth reading.

I went back and forth on Johns' Aquaman #1 and the three titles by Lobdell (TT, Red Hood, Superboy) since I used to love his x-books back in the day.  Ultimately, they fell away due to the almighty budget.  Maybe I'll pick up the trades (or even go digital  :o) on one or all of them if they get good reviews.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 11, 2011, 02:19 PM »
Yeah, my DCnU pull list looks very similar to your Jeff, but should probably be more reigned in since I've got a lot of Marvel stuff as well.  Anyways, here's what I'm thinking...

Detective
Batman
Batman and Robin
Nightwing
Batgirl
Batman Inc. (when it returns in 2012 or whenever)
Green Lantern
GLC
The Flash (I agree, man do I miss Wally - who seems to be pretty much forgotten in the DCnU)
Justice League
Action Comics
Superman
Aquaman

There are a few on there that I'd have on a "short leash" as well.  I may just stick with the main GL title, depending on what is going on with the others.  I'm a big fan of the Flash character, but I'm more of a Wally West Flash fan myself and I don't see him returning to the role anytime soon.  I'm giving Aquaman a shot, because I like the character and want to see what Johns does with the title.  I'm giving both the Superman titles a look, although I'd rather just be picking up one.  I may check out Teen Titans as well, just because I've always liked the concept, but I'm not sure where that title is headed right now.  Primarily, it is the Bat books, GL, and Justice League that I'm most interested in.

You mentioned going "digital".  Has anyone here really done that?  Personally, I don't have an iPad (or similar device) but if we ever got one, I would probably consider it.  Much like collecting, space is really an issue with storing all these comics, and it is only going to get worse.  I could see switching to digital for a lot of stuff, and probably still get my absolute favorites in "paper" form still.  I'd still prefer having the actual comic I think, but I could see the advantages of digital for sure.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I've thought about digital comics, but I just can't do it.  I look at a screen all day for work, then hours beyond that between SW, comics, Facebook, etc.  I don't think I could escape the boarding/bagging/collecting aspect of tangible comics, even at a reduced price.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2011, 06:54 PM »
You mentioned going "digital".  Has anyone here really done that?  Personally, I don't have an iPad (or similar device) but if we ever got one, I would probably consider it.  Much like collecting, space is really an issue with storing all these comics, and it is only going to get worse.  I could see switching to digital for a lot of stuff, and probably still get my absolute favorites in "paper" form still.  I'd still prefer having the actual comic I think, but I could see the advantages of digital for sure.

I've done it.  Now admittedly I don't buy near as many titles as you guys.

But I have not bought a paper comic of GI Joe since IDW went digital. I got the Dark Horse App and the DC App as well but have not filled them up yet. 
I have them on my iPad and it is great. 

I was never a bag and board type though, I bought them to read and would end up just tossing them after a while.