Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135908 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2011, 08:06 PM »
When do the reboots hit stores? I've never been much of a comic reader (all my knowledge comes from ___ The Animated Series and Wikipedia) but I wouldn't mind hopping on the relaunch bandwagon. I'll probably only pick up Batman and JLA related stuff, maybe Superman and The Flash.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #301 on: August 11, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Flashpoint #5 (which explains why/how the DCU changed) and JLA #1 hit on 8/31.  The rest of the new #1s hit in September with 13 new #1 books planned each week in September and a few more #1s planned for October and November.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 12, 2011, 01:18 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I'll start hitting up comic stores at the end of the month.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #303 on: August 12, 2011, 08:27 AM »
Flashpoint #5 (which explains why/how the DCU changed) and JLA #1 hit on 8/31.

So they're doing a Star Trek thing then?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 12, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Flashpoint #5 (which explains why/how the DCU changed) and JLA #1 hit on 8/31.

Sounds like some equivalent of that.  Rebooting all the characters and essentially wiping out/altering their histories.

For you DC guys, does this change impact all of the DC books?  Seems like not all titles are resetting to issue #1, so wondering if the whole DC universe is impacted...?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #305 on: August 12, 2011, 10:17 AM »

Sounds like some equivalent of that.  Rebooting all the characters and essentially wiping out/altering their histories.

It's not exactly a Star Trek thing since it's not a pure reboot of everything.  Some (most?) of the old continuity may exist... but some of the old continuity no longer exists... for some character, but not all.

Clear as mud, eh?

For you DC guys, does this change impact all of the DC books?  Seems like not all titles are resetting to issue #1, so wondering if the whole DC universe is impacted...?

Basically, it does affect the whole DCU.  EVERY mainline DC title is resetting to #1 in September (with JLA a week early, 8/31).   The separate universes, Vertigo (mature readers) and Johnny DC (Cartoon Network) books aren't being affected...  though there are some signs that Vertigo will be rebooted somehow early next year (dumping single issues, focusing on trades, moving trades to digital).

As to how much is changing... it's not clear.  All DC will say is that it's a sliding scale.  Some popular characters (Batman) have very little changes.  Some popular characters (Superman, JLA) are getting huge changes like total revamps to their origin (JLA), new status quo (Superman = the "first" superhero; Superman, Flash, Green Arrow are no longer married), or new team line-ups with new characters who have "always" been there (JLA).

The other part of the story, aside from changes to the characters themselves, is the massive DCU time-squeeze that is happening.  Most of the old DCU continuity still happened, just with compressed timelines (over 5 years instead of 12) and the characters are now younger (28-30 instead of 35). They are essentially cherry-picking some stuff that really sucked and saying "that never happened".  They are cherry-picking other popular storylines ans saying "that still happened", but maybe in a slightly tweaked way in order to fit into the new timeline (like who was still a Robin and for how long).   They haven't told us everything that is still IN and everything they dropped OUT (and they probably never will fully divulge the list of what's in and what's out).

So yeah - everyone in the main DCU is being affected somehow, we just don't know everything and DC is being coy about it, wanting you to buy the books to see what/who is different now. 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #306 on: August 12, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Some popular characters (Batman) have very little changes.  Some popular characters (Superman, JLA) are getting huge changes like total revamps to their origin (JLA), new status quo (Superman = the "first" superhero; Superman, Flash, Green Arrow are no longer married).

I had no idea Metropolis allowed both gay marriage AND polygamy...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 12, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Some popular characters (Batman) have very little changes.  Some popular characters (Superman, JLA) are getting huge changes like total revamps to their origin (JLA), new status quo (Superman = the "first" superhero; Superman, Flash, Green Arrow are no longer married).

I had no idea Metropolis allowed both gay marriage AND polygamy...

LOL! I think they were married in Gotham where anything goes...
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #308 on: August 30, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Tomorrow is the big day... Flashpoint #5 and JLA #1. 

Sure hope it lives up to the hype.  I'm still disappointed that things have reached the point where DC felt they had to reboot the stories of my childhood, but I guess I understand.  Hopefully the stories will be good and validate the decision.  If the new stories suck, it's going to make it all that much more painful. 

Like I said, I'm willing to give it a chance though.  If it's good, I'll keep reading - if it sucks, there's always the $0.25 bins at the local comic shop for me to fill out some back-history on other books I used to buy.  ;)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28 PM »
Marvel went through something a little similar to this many years back in an arc called "Heroes Reborn."  A major event (surprise!) supposedly kills off Iron Man, Thor, Fantastic Four, etc.  Then they had newish origins and reset their ages.  For example, Tony Stark was a teenage inventor.  Everybody got #1 issues and new costumes and such - I thought the whole storyline was confusing at best and ridiculous at worst.  It supposedly drove strong sales and renewed interest in older characters, but they had all the "Heroes Return" after only a year, explaining that the essence or spirit of these characters was captured in a pocket universe by Reed Richard's son to protect them.   ::)

The DC reboot seems infinitely larger in scale, but not all that different.  I'm sure they're trying to figure out the next big event to sell more issues, but taking away big chunks of history is a pretty lame way to go IMO.  I guess we will see how sales respond, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this run for 12-18months, then have them determine some fantastic explanation to return everyone back to the way they were. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2011, 08:53 PM »
I wasn't totally on board with it at first, but I'll give it a chance.  I am excited for the new JLA book, because I can't say I've been too interested in that for a long time.  I've always thought they should put a team like Johns/Lee on there, and it is cool to see that happening.  I'm sure sales will be there, at least initially.  I fully expect to see at least 8 (possibly 9 or all 10) of the top ten sales books to be the DC launches next month.  The test will be if they can stay there.  I'm sure things like JLA, Batman, GL, etc. will all continue sales - but those books (with the possibly exception of JLA) had those sales anyways.  We'll see how things go, but I'm at least interested in checking things out.  It is definitely a good way to put a solid jumping on point to grab new readers, but I just don't know how many non-comic fans are just waiting to jump on board with books.  It is a problem that is really tough for the industry to solve I think, getting new readers.  I know my friends (virtually none of which are comic readers) would still look at them as kids' stuff or "funny books" more than anything else, and I think the majority of the general public feels that way too.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 30, 2011, 10:32 PM »
I think the industry is failing/has failed with younger readers.  I got into comics around 3rd grade.  Apparently I was near the bottom of my class in reading.  My mom knew I was into Star Wars, so she signed me up for a subscription to the Marvel Star Wars series, along with Moon Knight and the Avengers.  MK was a little dark for a kid, but the old SW stories and the Avengers had me hooked right away.  Stan Lee has admitted that he liked to use the comics to teach, so they would try to tie bigger words and concepts into the overall stories.  It worked for me, because I was at the top of my class in reading by the end of 3rd grade.

The comics are a different style these days and there are limitations to marketing to kids, but I think they are really missing the boat here.  Put more publicity into free comic book day, get some coupons or free comics out there in kids products like cereal boxes, sponsor reading programs for underprivileged kids.  There are dozens of great opportunities.  And get the subscription option going again...I remember getting so psyched to check the mail.  A subscription could also help offset the high costs, which is really the only barrier for kids.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 31, 2011, 02:31 AM »
I'm excited. I've never been much of a "comic guy" but the reboot gives me a chance to jump in and experience things as they happen, rather than tracking down a TPB and adding nothing to a conversation except "yeah, (insert story here) ruled/sucked!" Heck, last week I went into my local comic shop and bought $20 worth of comics after I reserved copies of some of the reboots, so it's getting me to buy other stuff too.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17 AM »
The whole issue of new and/or younger readers is an interesting one to me - I'm curious to see where it goes.  Like many (most?) I started reading comics as a kid (my first was a Spidey comic when I was 5 - which I still have), and continued until high school.  I stopped while in college for the most part, and got back into them shortly after (about when the movies started up I think).  I've been going strong with them ever since.  The local store I used to frequent has since closed, but I can't say I ever saw kids in there buying comics except for on free comic book day, and even then it seemed more like "comic dads" bringing their kids in.

Comics are just a lot different these days.  As much as I love them, I don't know that I would hand the majority of the regular titles to a kid - they just aren't written for that audience as much anymore and are often to serious in tone.  Our daughter likes comics (although she can't really read yet), but again, that's because of me I am sure.  There are things out there like the Marvel Adventures (or Johnny DC/DC Kids) titles that she looks at, but I'd say that is the majority of kid friendly comics these days.

Again, as far as "new" readers, that's a tough nut to crack.  I still think there is a sort of stigma attached to comic books for the general public, and many are "embarassed" to be reading something like that.  Things like Graphic Novels, TPBs, and now online options might help that - but it still seems like the industry is going to lose ground overall.  With all the success of comic book movies, and now so many of the characters making it to the big screen, now is the time to try and get new readers and still we see comic shops closing, prices rising, and now extreme measures like the reboot(s) as the companies continue to try and capture a larger audience.  I hope it happens, because I don't want to see comics go away, but it does seem like a tough fight for them once the 30-50 age group that supports much of their business continues to age.

It might not be a popular opinion, but I think the companies could stand to scale back the number of titles a little bit.  Much like collecting, you only have to buy what you like, but the number of titles (especially for a struggling business) is unreal these days.  I think that some condensing will eventually happen if sales don't pick up, but otherwise we might (long term) be headed for a market that really only has regular, ongoing books for the "big guns" and maybe limited series for anything else.  Again, a long time off, but I could see it happening.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Comics are just a lot different these days.  As much as I love them, I don't know that I would hand the majority of the regular titles to a kid - they just aren't written for that audience as much anymore and are often to serious in tone. 

Yeah, take a look at one of the New 52 Aquaman solicts -  "As Aquaman and Mera discover the grisly truth behind a town's disappearance, the Trench infestation spreads inland! Plus: Another gruesome Trench power revealed – and it's not for the squeamish!"

Not exactly something I feel comfortable handing over to my 5-year old boys (unless I want to be up all night with them dealing with the nightmares they'll be having).  :-\

I'm probably dating myself, but while I read a lot of DC and some Marvel growing up, I started out in comics by reading a LOT of other kid stuff like all the Harvey characters- Hot Stuff, Casper, Richie Rich, Sad Sack, Baby Huey.  A lot of Archie Comics and Disney comics, even some DC non-superhero stuff like Sugar & Spike.

I have sort of the same plan for the boys.  While they know the JLA characters from the various cartoons, I'd never let them read those regular books from DC. Instead I buy them the more kid-friendly books - Batman Brave and Bold, Scooby-Doo, Disney comics, Owly, and some other non-Super Hero stuff.