Author Topic: Comic Book Thread  (Read 135957 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Book Thread
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2018, 03:25 PM »
I cancelled my subscription many months back and really haven't regretted it.  I visit the comic shop every 4-6 weeks to pick up Walking Dead and a few new titles I'm trying like Ant-Man and Deadpool, but that's it.  I've peeked at the Avengers and Iron Man stories while I'm there, but the stories look awful.  How did they ever resolve the Hydra Captain America stuff?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 15, 2018, 04:47 PM »
Jman - did you drop your Star Wars subscriptions too, or just your non SW subs?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #497 on: August 16, 2018, 07:45 AM »
How did they ever resolve the Hydra Captain America stuff?

I believe history had been rewritten by the Cosmic Cube, resulting in Hydra Cap.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #498 on: August 27, 2018, 02:11 PM »
Three comics in, and "The Magic Order" is pretty compelling.  If you're into Millar's stuff.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 6, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Jman - did you drop your Star Wars subscriptions too, or just your non SW subs?

I actually dropped SW too.  I bought issue #50 by chance, but I think I stopped right around #35.  Stopped all the secondary titles as well.  I pop into the comic shop every 4-6 weeks to grab Walking Dead and Old Man Hawkeye, but that's just about it now.  I'd probably snag the missing SW comics if I found them on sale somewhere.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 20, 2018, 08:07 AM »
If you've ever wondered what the Bat-Dong looked like, well, your prayers have been answered:

https://screenrant.com/batman-penis-naked-nude-comic-damned/

(Spoiler - it's nothing like Toad with Yeti pubes...)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 28, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Although I haven't personally read it, sounds like more darkness returning to the DCU this week via Heroes in Crisis#1. I won't get into details here because of spoilers, but suffice to say several heroes were killed off including a couple fairly significant ones. Not to mention what happened to Nightwing in the recent issue of Batman.

I know it has been discussed before, but I really have had enough of all the "dark and gritty" with comic books. It has its place, sure, but I like my heroes to just be heroes and punch the bad guys in the face.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 1, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Been about a year, anyone reading comics these days? Like I seem to often post, I still love them but price and space has me cutting back a little more each year. Still keep up with the main Star Wars title, but sounds like that is ending in November (with some sort of replacement I'm sure). Otherwise I'm currently getting:

Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
Avengers
House of/Powers of X
Batman
The Flash

Also some limited stuff like Batman: Last Knight on Earth and the upcoming JJ Abrams Spidey project. I'm still considering dropping everything but Amazing Spider-Man and maybe the odd thing that catches my eye. The OCD in me kicks in where I'm like "well I have the first 50-75 issues, I just as well keep going". I need to get out of that mindset. Even with a shorter list, it adds up over the course of a month. With collecting getting more expensive all the time as well, changes have to be made.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #503 on: September 1, 2019, 10:20 PM »
I've been revisiting The Boys since the show debuted on Amazon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 3, 2019, 10:38 PM »
I was down to just a few titles, but I think they all wrapped up recently.

Walking Dead
West Coast Avengers
Old Man Hawkeye

I page through the Avengers and Iron Man stuff occasionally, but between the poor art and what looks like terrible plot lines, I just can't motivate myself to restart any of those titles.  I have decades of older books - I've been thinking about rereading the old volume 1 Avengers and other titles instead of buying new stuff. 

I quit the Marvel Star Wars titles a few year ago too, but have been thinking about trying to scoop those back up with nothing else really appealing to me right now.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #505 on: November 17, 2019, 04:50 PM »
I have been reading the TPB of Vader and Star Wars and Aphra in order. A lot of storyline decisions annoy me in the new canon but for the most part I’m enjoying it and hoping for some nice Blizzard Force issues with the new series.