Author Topic: A Banner Day.  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
A Banner Day.
« on: March 5, 2004, 11:25 PM »
Christmas 1978? Found this and cried and wallowed in the sweet memory of the days when we didn't care and just enjoyed the toys. The resolution and quality blows, but I'm sure you can make out what I'm tearing into here...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
Re: A Banner Day.
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2004, 08:28 AM »
an oscar meyer hot dog?

edit ---i didnt see the picture...sorry---
« Last Edit: March 6, 2004, 08:33 AM by paploo »
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2004, 08:30 AM »
Is that you Thomas?  Looks like a remote R2 from what I can make out. Your lucky to have pictures of the toy memories as I have none that I know of.  :'(

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2004, 10:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing Thomas. I am with Dale in not having any pics that I know of of me and any Xmas loot.  I always like to see those old pics. I always wanted one of those remote R2s alas I still don't have one.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Nice picture there Thomas!  This is a cool topic.  About a year or so ago I looked through all the photo albums at my parents' house looking for pictures like that, and out of say 15 huge albums I only found four pics with me and Star Wars toys.  Of course they're all from Christmas time.  Here they are...

http://www.chrisrhoads.com/starwars/childhood.htm
dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 6, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Classic photos Chris! I would say that while you may resent your mom for tossing that shirt, it was probably so faded and dilapitated that you would have to imagine the X-Wing being on it. I think your mom for once made a pretty good call. At least she didn't throw out all your baseball cards while you were away fighting in WW2 like my wife's uncle.

I am slowly going through my grandparents house. They passed away 10+ years ago. My uncle had lived there until recently. He let the place go to say the least. So every Wednesday I go down and wade through the garbage bags and giant spider webs to salvage what I can. That is where I found this photo. I hope to find others. There is no electricity and so I try to do it during the day. When the light was waning last Wednesday, I was mindlessly pulling stuff from a box and saw the biggest freaking spider skitter to the shadows in the box. Can you say FREAKED OUT!!! I went for my flashlight to get a better look and the batteries decided to die right then. I grabbed the nearest implement I could and just beat the crap out of that thing and the box. I'm still not sure I actually got it due to the dark and the fact that I just packed it up and called a day rather hastilly... But I found this gem.

I have found some other cool stuff, but nothing beyond tattered old comics and books and photos. Anyway, hope to share more with you if I can find them...

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: March 6, 2004, 05:29 PM »
...I was mindlessly pulling stuff from a box and saw the biggest freaking spider skitter to the shadows in the box. Can you say FREAKED OUT!!!

I absolutely HATE spiders!  I remember watching "Arachnophobia" when it first came out in theaters.  Totally freaked the living you-know-what out of me!!!
dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Yeah, I do not prefer them, but I endure them. I have seen some doozies in my time. They give me the willies, but they end up as pulp. I am not big on killing anything, but you come into my house or hide in my stuff and it's over.

I guess I should also say that the box I am opening is a Remote control R2-D2 without obstacles. It was very durable and I had a great time just running it up and down the halls. Funny. It's a pretty mundane toy if I think about it. Head spins, lights and R2 sounds, back, forward. Basic, But I really remember spending a lot of time playing with it.

Offline Todd H.

• Youngling
  • GNT BLOWS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 9, 2004, 08:04 AM »
By no means do I wish this to happen but when my Mother-in-law passes away here attic is filled with toys and things from the 20's on. My brother in law had all the GI Joe 12" stuff from the early 60's and tons of baseball cards. She won't let anyone touch it yet, but in the future I hope a long time from now there qill be a great find in my mother in laws attic.
-Todd-

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 01:42 PM »
I hear you Todd H. It is a bit morbid, but true. But, what good does an attic full of good, old toys do anyone? I imagine that they are all just packed away without any concern for preservation. All the dust and moisture and bugs can really do some damage, not to mention... Mold! I found a classic Mickey Mouse film reel in an abused and forgotten box at my grandmother's house that I mentioned earlier. I opened the box and it had become a spider haven. All those cool nooks and crannys in the reel. The film was ok, but the box was shot and the reel took some deep breathes and time to clean up.

I know that bugs can get through some pretty tight squeezes. Can you imagine if a spider penetrated the sealed box of an momc 12" figure or vehicle. You have to open it to get the webbing and spider out and that right there sacrifices a lot. These old toys in all these basements and attics need to at least be gone through and protected appropriately and put in an environment that is more condusive to promoting their longevity.

All that is a bit off the topic. What awaits us is cool and our memories that we wish were on film are good to share. But I'm still curious if anyone else has photos of the good old days and their Star Wars stuff?

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 07:08 PM »
'GREAT PICS' Thomas and Chris!  8)

I remember being excited when I received my Palitoy 'RC R2' in 1979!  ;)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/86413687/83204412dDxjQL

My childhood is full of Star Wars memories too!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/83195985/83196721LBBLPI

Three of those pictures are from my trip to London to watch the 'Triple Bill' on June 1st '83!  :D

http://community.webshots.com/photo/99974162/101114547FVgPgU

Childhood nostalgia has played such a major part in aiding my collecting decisions as an adult!

Bill  :)