Author Topic: The Hulk Movie  (Read 8522 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: So anyone going to a midnight showing of Hulk?????
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2003, 01:55 PM »
After hearing about 90% negative reviews and opinions from the general public after seeing the trailers (mostly due to the overwhelming CGI), I've surprisingly been hearing mostly very positive reviews so far from the media, critics, and reviewers over the past several days.  Even two thumbs up from Ebert and Roeper (not that that's saying much).  Weird.

So perhaps despite the CGI, it at least has a good storyline and some decent acting in it.  We'll see...  Not sure if I'll be catching it in theaters or not.  Haven't decided yet, but since it's one of those big budget, special effects driven movies, we probably will go check it out.  Just not right away.

So did you see it yet LJ?  What'd you think?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: So anyone going to a midnight showing of Hulk?????
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2003, 01:59 PM »

And, I hope Target, Wally World and TRU choke on the craptacular amount of merchandise they are trucking in...idiots

I swear this is the most merchandised movie I have ever seen.  I know SW is beaten to death in a movie year, but there's never been anything like this that I can recall.  All our retailers up here have scads of this stuff.  From oreos to pudding, figures to life savers.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2003, 03:57 PM »
I'll see it at a matinee. Maybe next week. After negative reviews have knocked it down a peg or two.

I'm really not that interested in watching a larger, greener Jar Jar smash a bunch of tanks.  I already saw the Ferris Bueller version of Godzilla a few years ago, so I know how it's going to go.

Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2003, 04:00 PM »
What I really want to know is...Does this guy make a cameo???

And do they end the movie with that oh so sad melody played at the end of the Hulk TV Show?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2003, 05:57 PM »
I'm going with a friend tonight to see it.  I'm actually looking forward to seeing it.  I could care less what the reviews say.  Most of them aren't accurate at all, or even remotely close to being accurate.

Hey, if I remember correctly Roger Ebert of the Chicago Tribune slammed AOTC when it came out.  So, hopefully the critics are wrong here.
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2003, 11:38 PM »
Ok when I got home I was too tired to type, so forgive the late review. :D Anyways like I was saying I wasn't going in with high expectations, so I wasn't to dissapointed after the movie ended.

My first complaint was the way the movie played. For some reason Lee decided to switch scenes by way of lil boxes like a comic book. In fact he had scenes within scene. It would have been better for a few scenes, but throughout the movie it just got annoying.

The Hulk dogs were ok, but the hulk poodle was stupid.

Of course CGI Hulk eeded alot of work. At time e ws wel done, but alot of the rest of the time he just looked so fake, His running wastoofae looking, he shouldn' have ran so fast in the movie. I undesand the jumping prt, but the way he was runing reminded me of Yoda's scene in AOTC.

The whole story itself was too convoluted. The wasy he was given his power was ok, but then they started goig off on some weird angle with his father. It was jsut too much.

The action with the Hulk and the army was actually pretty sweet.

I have some points but I want to see what you all have to say, but I will say this I definately won't be adding this to my DVD collection.

Oh and note on the actual movie watching experience; down in front there were these two guys who brought in a baby with them.  >:( I iimmediately saw trouble when I saw that they were deaf. And of course I was right they couldn't hear the baby whining, alot of people got up to tell the managment. I was pissed that I had to sit through most of the movie hearing the whining. And for some reason the theatre cretins didn't know what to do, like they were afraid to say something because they were deaf?? ::) I should have just left and asked for my money back. Why would people bring a baby to a theatre at a midnight showing???  

Anyways how what did you all think of the movie??
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2003, 01:35 AM »
I thought the movie was great!  Saw it tonight before picking up Harry Potter with the wife, and I thought "Hulk" turned out to be a very good movie.  I loved the scene transitions how it looked comic book like.  I'm sorry you didn't like that Lady Jaye... I thought it was very cool & original.  The CGI was spectacular IMO.  The storyline was great.

Lady Jaye... there were a couple of kids or babies (couldn't tell which of the two they were) that were crying in my theater.  I almost wonder if they were somehow thrown in the movie as background noise.  I know that sounds insane, but in all my movie going times I have never heard a baby crying in the theater (and I'm 30 so that's a lot of movies I've seen).

Thumbs up for the "Hulk."
dustrho

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2003, 01:55 AM »
The scene transitions woul hav been better had they not been overused. It as a cool lil idea that got used too much. I'm glad you liked it though, maybe more will too, and they will make another one, one with a better story and better villain.  ;)
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2003, 09:29 PM »
Here's a story on CNN's website about Lou Ferrigno and the Hulk...

Original Hulk Ferrigno talks TV-inspired movie

Editor's Note: CNN Access is a regular feature on CNN.com providing interviews with newsmakers from around the world.

(CNN) --He appears in Hollywood's current blockbuster "The Hulk" playing a security guard. But to many fans, he is the original muscle-bound, bulging green man known as the Hulk.

Lou Ferrigno busted through his seams and onto the scene in 1977 in the television series "The Incredible Hulk" playing the not-so-jolly green giant.

CNN Anchor Kyra Phillips spoke to Ferrigno on Friday about the TV-inspired film.

KYRA PHILLIPS, CNN ANCHOR: Lou Ferrigno is live from Los Angeles and LIVE FROM got him. Lou, great to see you.

LOU FERRIGNO, ACTOR: You, too.

PHILLIPS: Well, tell us, what did you think of the movie?

FERRIGNO: I saw "The Hulk" premiere Tuesday night. Fantastic. It's action-packed. We've got the best director, a phenomenal cast and the best special effects.

PHILLIPS: Here we have a computer-generated Hulk, and not the human being. I mean, we all identified with you, and you could sign autographs, and you could make visits. What do you think about the technology versus the real person?

FERRIGNO: The real person is more human. The computer-generated Hulk is basically more toward the comic book version. So now you have more of the comic book version than in the live-action [TV show] "Hulk," which is being re-released on the DVD.

PHILLIPS: When you saw this, were you kind of thinking, gosh, I wish I could sort of do that again.

FERRIGNO: Well, I'd love to reprise the role of the Hulk, but apparently Universal decided to go with the special effect, computer generated.

PHILLIPS: We don't know why, Lou. We're ready to start a campaign to bring you back. What do you say?

FERRIGNO: I agree. Beginning of the campaign, I have my book here. It's on louferrigno.com July 1. "My Incredible Life as the Hulk" [includes] everything you want to know about the Hulk, about the movie, about Ang Lee and Stan Lee, and all of it is action-packed. So this is one of my new projects. I'm doing the "King of Queens." I have a recurring role ... I play the neighbor next door.

PHILLIPS: You also had a cameo in this movie, right?

FERRIGNO: Yes, I have a cameo with Stan Lee.

PHILLIPS: Aren't you a security guard?

FERRIGNO: Yes, I filmed a couple of scenes. I play the head of security. I'm leaving the building with Stan Lee. They worked me in the film.

PHILLIPS: I always wanted to know this question or the answer to this question. Who is your favorite superhero?

FERRIGNO: Believe it or not, it was really Superman and the Hulk.

PHILLIPS: Really?

FERRIGNO: I was an avid "The Hulk" comic book reader when I was young. I was basically the Hulk my whole life ... and I expressed all my innovation to the character, I loved playing the Hulk.

PHILLIPS: What do your kids think of the Hulk?

FERRIGNO: They love it. They're my biggest fans. But they know that, you know, their father is the Hulk, and they tried [emulating] me, working out, getting fit and staying in great shape.

Staying Hulked, bulked and buffed
PHILLIPS: Well, you know what, you bring up a very good point about staying in great shape. We started doing a little research on you. We all remember you, of course, from the series very well. And we came across this Web site. And I must say, look at you! Oh, my goodness!

FERRIGNO: That was only six years ago when I retired from competition again in 1995.

PHILLIPS: Wow! How often do you work out?

FERRIGNO: I train now five or six days a week to keep in shape. I've been a personal trainer for 25 years. I have a facility in California, and I see people from all walks of life.

PHILLIPS: Will you come out here and train me and my producer?

FERRIGNO: Definitely.

PHILLIPS: Because if I can look like this, wow! These pictures are unbelievable. Aren't you ever shy?

FERRIGNO: No. Not now, but maybe about 40 pounds lighter compared to the pictures. I'm 270, I'm still in my best shape.

PHILLIPS: Oh, my gosh. All right, well, what's next for you? You've obviously got this book out, you've got this active Web site.

FERRIGNO: And I'm looking at different scripts now and deciding what I'm going to do next.

PHILLIPS: Can you give us maybe a hint in what could be next?

FERRIGNO: I don't know entirely yet, but basically it has to do with comedy, because I love doing sitcoms, and I'd love to do a romantic comedy, especially [a] sitcom, because doing "The King of Queens" [is] something I'd like to branch out.

She-Hulk, you Hulk, we all Hulk
PHILLIPS: Not bad. Speaking of romantic comedy, here's a little more research that we did. We had no idea there was a She-Hulk. Did you know that?

FERRIGNO: No. They were going to do a "She-Hulk" years ago, but apparently it never surfaced.

PHILLIPS: All right, Lou, we got this picture now, OK? It's "The Savage She-Hulk." And she is just this gorgeous babe, she looks like you but a female. So we were wondering if you maybe had something going on that we didn't know about?

FERRIGNO: Not with She-Hulk, but apparently they will probably introduce it in the next two Hulk movies.

PHILLIPS: All right. Well, Lou, we sure appreciate you being us. we have to ask you one more question, though. Can you give us a roar? Can you just take us back?

FERRIGNO: Hulk smash, Hulk crash. I've done the voice for the Hulk for the animated cartoon.

PHILLIPS: All right. Lou Ferrigno. What a pleasure. Great to see you. You're looking just fantastic.

FERRIGNO: Thank you.  

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/23/ferrigno.cnna/index.html  
dustrho

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2003, 10:51 AM »
I saw the Hulk...it rocked!  Great movie, great effects, I loved every minute of it!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire