Author Topic: Shoes, Sneaks, Kicks - What Do You Wear?  (Read 11668 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Shoes, Sneaks, Kicks - What Do You Wear?
« on: March 8, 2004, 02:46 PM »
Just curious as to what types of shoes you wear, or you prefer.  To be honest, I have pretty much been brand-loyal to Nike since I was in junior high, just because they have always felt good on my feet (I have very flat feet), I've always liked them, and they were always our team shoes for athletics in high school.  For some reason, I have a lot of troubles finding shoes in stores (I wear anywhere from a 13 to a 14), and usually end up ordering them online.  My current sneaks are a pair of Jordan Trunners from a year or two ago that my wife got me as a gift.  I also got a pair of K-Swiss shoes from my in-laws for Christmas, although I haven't worn them much.  I also keep quite a few of my older shoes to wear when working outside, walking the dog, etc.  I have some Nike Metal Max shoes that I got from an Eastbay clearance catalog, along with some other Nike running shoes.  I also have some "flip flops" that get a lot of use, and some boots and loafers for dressier occasions.  I haven't ever been one to be able to spend $100-plus on shoes, and anymore I usually look for $70 or less if possible.  Anyways, what kind of shoes do you have, or would you like to have?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Shoes, Sneaks, Kicks - What Do You Wear?
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2004, 03:01 PM »
I have zero brand loyalty at all.  I spent several years working in a sporting goods store and watched the shoes change for nothing more than cosmetic reasons while changing fuctionality at the same time.  Air Pegasus ain't Air Pegasus anymore.  I have no problem with changing colors, but if a shoe is meant to be anti-pronation, don't keep the name but remove the functionality the following year.

For that reason I am a loyal fan of Asics runners.  They started as Gel 101 and now are onto something like Gel 1090.  Slight modifications through the years but functionally and essentially the same shoe.  I've been wearing them since the late 80s (no, not the same pair).

So you don't think I'm contradicting myself, I used to be loyal to Nike, but in that Bundy phase they went from being a company that produced high quality shoes to a company that cranked out bazillions of models in a rainbow of colors, pretty much all dedicated to form rather than function.  From 1979 to 1992 I wouldn't buy a basketball shoe that wasn't made by Nike. They lasted, were well built, functional and comfortable.  The few pairs I have bought since then have all lasted about a season, no more.  And where have the high tops gone?  Sure, I have ankle braces too, but why should I have to?  Mid-cuts are probably responsible for more ankle sprains than anything else out there.  

My favorite company is Asics, but we don't get the asssortment of shoes that the US does (like everything else).  Adidas, IMO, makes a very high quality product and I love their clothing (no, not the stuff targeted at kids/teenagers, their nicer clothing line).  I have a pair of their golf shoes and they are neck and neck with Nike in that category, Nike producing better versions of running-shoe style golf shoes.  

Never been a big fan of K-Swiss or Reebok.  I like Converse, but more for comfort than anything else.  My favorite shoes of all time were my leather converse all-stars.  Great for wearing around.  I presume they are still made and available, but the demand is so limited up here.  I also used to own multiple canvas Chuck Taylors.  Sadly, I'm old enough to remember when people wore them to play basketball, not just as a fashion statement.  I only have one pair left, a lovely lemon yellow :o  I've owned red, camouflage, multi-color and of course, Celtic green.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2004, 03:17 PM »
I only wear hiking boots by Hi Tec. Steel toed for work.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2004, 03:20 PM »
I wear Hi Tec Hiking boots too!  They are my everyday shoe, really comy and you can't beat the traction in the ice and snow and slush.  

For work I have to wear ElectroStaticDissapating (ESD) shoes so I don't blow places up with a static spark, the choices are limited for that footwear...but I found a really nice pair of Red Wing boots that I've had for over a year now, I've been wearing them around the clock so to speak, they are that comfy

Tennis shoes I wear Nike, old habits die hard.  Most of the older guys (Like my dad and his friends) I know wear New Balance and nothing but New Balance, I've been thinking of trying them out because I need a new pair of shoes

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2004, 03:21 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of K-Swiss yet....I didn't ask for them, just got them as a gift.  I've only worn them a few times, but I guess they don't look bad at least...we'll see how they feel after awhile.  I did want to add, although I am Nike-buyer to some extent...that's not to say I like everything they do with their shoes (or their business practices).  I really think they make a lot of fugly shoes nowadays, and I have had troubles finding any b-ball shoes I have liked of theirs for awhile (probably why I've been wearing the same pair for 3 years now).  I always liked their "look" growing up (and still today, with some shoes), and they have always supported my feet well it seems.  I tried Reeboks one time, back in college, and my feet hurt so bad.  With my big, flat feet...I really need to find shoes that are comfortable.  But I do agree with you Morgbug about the changes (Air Pegasus, etc.), I don't care for them either.  Seems like those shoe models were better in junior high and high school, when there wasn't so many different ones.  Just Jordan, Flight, and Force for basketball :P.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2004, 04:00 PM »
 :-[  The shoes I wear for basketball are a Flight model from 1992  :-[

I've tried a bunch of the new ones, but no way am I throwing these out.  Guys on my team laugh at them, but geez, their 12 years old and still going strong.  I might have to get new laces (for the first time) at the end of this season.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline D-Miles23

• Youngling
  • I like Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2004, 05:10 PM »
I wear mostly Nike with some Converse, And 1 and adidas mixed in. For basketball, I use my Jordan 8's, 12's, team flows and my Nike Air Penny's. I have a pair of Dunks, Converse weapons, patent leather Jordan 1's and some Air Force 1's  for casual wear. A pair of Timberland boots for snow and other bad weather and I have a pair of Nike Trainer Huaraches for the gym. I also have a pair of Jordan 11's (like my avatar) but I don't wear them much because they're pretty beat.
Yahtzee

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2004, 05:16 PM »
I am pretty simple when it comes to foot wear. Black asskicking boots as Sue calls them.   Harley Davison black 8 lace top boots.  Good for work or anything else ;D  
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #8 on: March 9, 2004, 02:17 PM »

The greatness of the Samba.

And the Doc Marten 1925. Mine are older though and don't have the tacky yellow stitching.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 9, 2004, 02:22 PM »

For work I have to wear ElectroStaticDissapating (ESD) shoes so I don't blow places up with a static spark, the choices are limited for that footwear

Fireworks factory?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: March 9, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Chemical :-X

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 9, 2004, 02:30 PM »
Chemical :-X

I see.

My mothers pet penis (aka her husband) works in Surpass Chemichal plant, and I think they have special boots.

Not too sure.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 9, 2004, 02:31 PM »
Scott Flambé!   :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: March 9, 2004, 02:35 PM »
If you work with anything flammable (solvents, Gasoline, Plasti-Dip) its just another safeguard for not blowing things up.  If you look on a some gas pumps these days there are warning stickers regarding static dissipation and how you shouldn't get in and out of your car while filling the tank, make sure your gas can is on the ground etc etc

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 9, 2004, 02:50 PM »
Plasti-Dip, now where did I hear that word before!  ;)

"I just picture DJS and membraneman lying face down in the basement, blanked-out grins on their faces, next to open jars of Plasti-Dip..."  

A classic memorie!  8)