Author Topic: Hairy Chewbacca  (Read 9944 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Hairy Chewbacca
« on: March 9, 2004, 01:30 PM »
I'm stealing this topic from CHEWIE since I think its a neat idea that may never happen and it should be discussed...

During the POTJ days, Hasbro experimented with doing a flocked Chewbacca with some rather uninspired results (as seen below, an actual prototype of the figure).  The color is off and the eyes look weird and the joints show too easily.  They make it the right color and fix the eyes, give him a separate bag and bandolier, make the hair a little longer to try and cover the articulation points..., I could almost see it working...

Moss-Man is the only other flocked figure I can think of, even this looks too short

Dunno, if done right, a hairy Chewie would be cool, its not like we need a Super Version of Chewbacca...maybe with his longer mane ROTJ styled version (or in chains).  The Cloud City Version works just fine for me for ANH and ESB versions of Chewie

THoughts?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Hairy Chewbacca
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2004, 01:39 PM »
A Hulk version of Chewy!  :D

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: March 9, 2004, 03:11 PM »
I'm stealing this topic from CHEWIE since I think its a neat idea that may never happen and it should be discussed...

During the POTJ days, Hasbro experimented with doing a flocked Chewbacca with some rather uninspired results (as seen below, an actual prototype of the figure).  The color is off and the eyes look weird and the joints show too easily.  They make it the right color and fix the eyes, give him a separate bag and bandolier, make the hair a little longer to try and cover the articulation points..., I could almost see it working...

I'm sorry, but no way. That's just plain horrifying! I just don't see there being a way to effectively communicate the weight and texture of fur with that method, much less address all the variation in color, too. It's an interesting experiment, though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2004, 05:44 PM »
SLightly longer faux fur could possibly work...  Getting the colors right wouldn't be the tough part, but getting the fur to look right would...

A cloth removable bandoleir would just be cool...

Still though, a SA Chewie with removable bandoleir would be the ultimate wookie fodder, so I almost would rather they not experiment with the fur idea on this...  Still, a real fur Chewie has a neat ring to it.  If it's poseable and looked decent, I'm all for it...  I've seen fur in this scale work before...  well enough anyway.  I think it could work on an entire figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2004, 07:57 PM »
I dunno about this.  For starters, the original mock up looks like they dropped him in syrup and then rolled him in brown suger.  ;D

I have older Little Kiddles, similiar in size to Star Wars figures but not plastic.  Anyways, some of them were "flocked" (I never new what that was, I just just called them fuzzy) but most of it has worn off.  I know my son's Moss-man is in really bad shape, it never stood up to be rolled down the steps the like the rest of the toys  ;).
I would have to assume that is why flocked-Chewie never got past the prototype stage, Hasbro might have did some testing and realized it wouldn't stay on if played with over a short period of time.  

Interesting picture though, thanks for sharing.

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2004, 11:06 PM »
The more I think about this, the more I wish they would try it, not on the VOTC version but on some future Chewie...we really are all done with him (or maybe not :P) and you know they are going to make about 6 more, give a whirl, they threw out garbage like the Hoth Soldier and the recent Han Endor

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 01:15 AM »
NO! No, no, no, no, no, no! That has got to be the worst idea I've seen concerning the 3 and 3/4 inch line since the advent of "soft goods". For the love of God they just keep making it easier for me to say "no" to this stuff. Let's hope they never have a change of mind in this matter.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 01:19 AM by T-Bone Kenobi »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 02:06 AM »
I guess if you're churning out lots of versions of Chewbacca, it makes sense to try this. It'd be something different, for sure.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 04:56 PM »
A novel idea... but I don't think Hasbro could pull it off on a 3 3/4 scale.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 12:04 AM »
Thanks for bringing this up OCB, it's fun to see everyone's opinions on the idea here.

Personally I'm leaning towards wanting to see something like this done somewhere down the line.  Not in the modern vintage line, but somewhere in a few years possibly.  I'm sure it could be pulled off, but they would need to really do a superb job for it to be worthwhile.  

Anyone remember the Grizzlor figure from the He-Man line?   He was the big furry guy working for Hordak.  Maybe something like that instead, with much shorter hair would work?

:P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:06 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 12:12 AM »

The hair needs to be shorter and less dense...

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 09:58 PM »
So it looks like Chewie got his summer cut.  ;D

If this thing ever came out I would not know what to think. All that I can say is that the pack in should be a pair of swim trucks and sun glasses.

What will they think of next?
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 3, 2004, 08:52 AM »
I had a dream last night that I found all 12 of the vOTC at TRU and they rang up at $1.97 since the cashier thought they were the old vintage figures.

In my dream, the vOTC Chewbacca was indeed a Hairy Chewbacca, but it was awesome.  Not a flocked monster, not a fuzzball, but it was SO well executed.  If only I could explain how the hair worked.  

*hmmmm*  He was kind of like a little hamster with a removable bandolier.  Man, was it a sweet figure.

Anyway, thought I'd bump this up and share.  It was just another one of those times I wish I could have taken a picture of something in my dreams to show off...

Jeff

ps.
In my dream, R2 had all his gadgets (scope, saber, probe), Fett sucked (Carkoon Fett with no backback), and the Stormie was the SA clone body with Stormie head).  FYI for those who would have asked.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: June 3, 2004, 09:44 AM »
Honestly I would love a furry chewbacca for the 4 inch line, as well as a flocked one. Why not at least it woul dbe new and different.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: June 3, 2004, 09:51 AM »
I guess that's my thought, we pretty much have a couple of perfect Chewie's in the Cloud City (for ANH and ESB) and MEchanic (for ROTJ) try something new and see how it works.  It might go down in history as the worst figure of all time but I think it might work