Author Topic: Online Retailer Opinions and Experiences  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Online Retailer Opinions and Experiences
« on: March 9, 2004, 03:12 PM »
Just thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to the different online retail options that are out there, so anyone who might be curious about a particular e-store can check out how their business is.  I haven't ordered from a ton a different places, but here's some of my opinions:

Kebco I did some preordering through them starting last year, around May, during a major drought in figures in my area.  I ordered some 2003 basic figures, as well as the Han/Boba/Yoda and the Chewie/Luke Unleashed waves through them.  As of today, I have received each and every item that I ordered from them...although I will say that some took quite awhile.  The Unleashed I all got reasonable quick, and well before I found them in stores...but the basic figures that I preordered in May of last year I didn't receive until November/December-ish.  I am understanding that this was a shipment from Hasbro problem, and not their own though.  Overall, I'll say that I have always gotten what I have ordered...but sometimes a little slow.

Brians ToysI haven't ordered from here in quite some time now, but I did when I first got into collecting Star Wars.  I used them to pick up a bunch of loose POTF2 figs that I missed out on, as well as some loose vintage stuff.  At the times I ordered, I always received things very quickly (within a few days usually), and for loose vintage and POTF2, I think the prices are not too bad.  However, if you want anything new, be prepared to pay a TON for it, from what I can see.  I will say, good service whenever I have dealt with them (even replaced a vintage loose figure that I didn't think was C-9), but I haven't used them in quite some time.  Wouldn't recommend for newer stuff though.

Amazon I have used Amazon from time to time, with some TRU exclusive stuff and/or when they have figs in stock.  I've always had pretty good luck with them, however I am an opener, so I'm not sure how good card condition is with them most of the time.  I haven't ordered figures for awhile now because they charge $7.99 for the newer ones (but I think eventually come down).  Overall though, I'm pretty happy with their service.

KB Toys Another one I haven't used for awhile, although I have had decent luck with them as well.  Again, being a loose collector, card condition might be a concern for others.  They do use big stickers here across the front if I remember correctly (but they come off).  They don't usually have a lot of Star Wars stuff in stock (at least recently), but I have ordered a couple of SW things, as well as some LOTR stuff there.  Delivery is quick, prices are so-so for what I have bought.

I haven't used Entertainment Earth, Newforce, Big Bad Toy Store, etc., but have heard good things about all of them from time to time.  I am sure many others can give more details experiences of them though.  Thanks for any opinions everyone!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Online Retailer Opinions and Experiences
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 06:59 PM »
i've ordered several cases over the past few months from entertainment earth, and overall i've been pretty satisfied. the worst part is just the wait - they never get the cases in when they say they are.

i've ordered from ohmygodcheapnewfiguresonline.com twice - first order was 100% filled, but not packed very well. they pretty much took a piece - a single piece - of bubble wrap and wrapped it around the figures, which were standing in a straight line. wrapped that piece of bubble wrap around the sides of the figures, leaving the top and bottom uncovered, and then put that bundle in a box that was too big for the figures, so they were just about smashed when i got them. the second order was far worse, i ordered about a dozen figures from them, which all said they were in stock on their site, but they sent me 1 figure in  a box. 1. they claimed they were out of everything else. and they charged me $8 for shipping it.

that's really about it, other than amazon.com, which was an ok experience as well.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 09:53 AM »
Kebco:   Pretty much the same boat as you, Brian.  I'm a member of their "one of every figure" club and have gotten everything I've ordered from them.  I'll agree that they are slow, but it saves me the trouble of treking from store to store to find things.  I had a missed figure once and they credited my account no problems.  I recently requested that vehicles be taken off my account (because I don't want the rehashed OTC ones coming) and it was done in a timely matter.  They don't always answer their emails, but my requests have been filled.  The big test is going to be when the newer rehashes are added.  I don't want those and already told them so, so hopefully just new figures are added.

Newforce:   Ordered a few cases from them a few times and wasn't disappointed.  Good pricing and excellent shipping costs.  I just didn't want cases of figures anymore because I had a hard time getting rid of the duplicates.

Yestertoys:  Bought my Imperial Shuttle from them and waited a long time to get it.  The pricing on it, including the shipping, were excellent, but it seemed like I waited forever to get it.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Kintoun

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Kebco:  Pretty much the same boat as you, Brian.  I'm a member of their "one of every figure" club and have gotten everything I've ordered from them.  I'll agree that they are slow, but it saves me the trouble of treking from store to store to find things.  I had a missed figure once and they credited my account no problems.  I recently requested that vehicles be taken off my account (because I don't want the rehashed OTC ones coming) and it was done in a timely matter.  They don't always answer their emails, but my requests have been filled.  The big test is going to be when the newer rehashes are added.  I don't want those and already told them so, so hopefully just new figures are added.

KEBco being slow is an understatement. I've been waiting ages to receive numerous OTC Basic and OTC Vintage figures from KEBco. I have complaints regarding my latest KEBco parcel too. First of all, it doesn't include OTC Vintage 2004 Han Solo which was supposed to be shipped along with OTC Vintage 2004 Ben Kenobi, OTC Vintage 2004 Princess Leia, OTC Vintage 2004 Darth Vader, and OTC Vintage 2004 C-3PO according to Invoice # 6541. The other major problem is KEBco sent me 2 of the wrong OTC Basic 2004 action figures.

I was supposed to get OTC Basic #02 2004 Dagobah Yoda and OTC Basic #16 2004 Stormtrooper according to Invoice # 9913. Instead, KEBco sent me OTC Basic #16 2005 Dagobah Yoda and OTC Basic #11 2005 Stormtrooper. These are not the toys I wanted and I already clarified this point to them.

Back on December 31st, I sent an e-mail to KEBco which stated "My Invoice # 9913 states that OTC Basic 2004 Dagobah Yoda and OTC Basic 2004 Stormtrooper are both pending. I'd like to confirm that I'll receive the 1st Pre Order listings. Is OTC Basic 2004 Yoda identified as #02? Likewise, is OTC Basic 2004 Stormtrooper identified as #16?" The reply said "Hi Keith,

Yes, your Dagobah Yoda and Stormtrooper are the first versions.

They shipped a couple days ago along with other figures."

Obviously, that's not the case since the numbers are incorrect and the packages identify these figures as the '05 versions. I pre-ordered these figures back on 7/13/04 so I shouldn't have been given the post OTC wave toys. Unless KEBco sends me the proper Yoda & Stormtrooper toys for free and adjusts my invoices to reflect the fact that I haven't received an OTC Vintage 2004 Han Solo despite paying for it already, I'll be forced to cancel my Star Wars and G.I. Joe One of Every Figure Club membership. It's absurd that KEBco has kept customers waiting this long for pre-order items and they neglect answering e-mails.

Kintoun

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Well since that last post, I've canceled my account with Kebco.  I was nothing but patient with them but the final straw came when I moved and sent them an updated mailing address (well in advance of when I actually moved) and nothing happened.  The next package sent by them was sent to my old address and while not a huge hassle to redirect it (by UPS, not Kebco.  If that was the case, I'd probably still be waiting for it), it was an unneeded pain in the ass.  I canceled my account, was reimbursed (not swiftly, I might add) and I haven't looked back.  My advice is to stay away.  Kebco can go **** themselves for all I care.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Ordered the Blue Obi Wan Star Fighter and the Exclusive Holo Emperor from Toy's R Us Amazon store and everything arrived beat to death. The box was so crumpled that I knew right off that the contents were hosed. The back of the figure card was almost folded in half. The stuff was just thrown in with a couple of air bags. Would have killed them to use some bubble wrap and foam peanuts instead? I won't order through Amazon again for Carded/Boxed stuff, just cheap close out stuff for openers. Instead of returning it thought I went to TRU last night and bought the same stuff in better condition, I'm returning the damaged stuff in it's place. I know, it's wrong but I don't want to wait a week or so for a credit from Amazon.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Ok, In my previous post I went on a rant about the way amazon shipped my last order. I was so ticked about it that I went back on to the amazon site and rated the exclusive Obi Wan star fighter and Holo palpatine I got. I gave the toys a fair review but totally slammed the shipping. I have pictures of how this box arrived and believe me this thing was hosed. So I go to check my email today since I haven't in awhile and there's an email from Amazon about my order. I open it and it's an appology for the condition they arrived in and the email was to inform me that they were sending me out replacements at no charge. Followed by another email stating that the price of each item had dropped to $0.00 and would reflect on my gift certificate. Not what I expected but definately welcome. Now I feel bad about taking the damaged stuff back to TRU. Karma can be fickle and now I feel I owe something back a bit now.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2005, 04:53 PM »
I have to say Brian's Toys has pretty much everything in stock I could want, but I can't afford their prices. But the stuff I have ordered from them arrives quickly, and that's good.

I most often use BigBadToyStore for most of my online purchases. Reasonable prices (as long as you're not buying Toy Biz shortpacks or brand new Star Wars figures.)
My biggest gripe with them is that they use UPS for shipping.

And I must say DON'T order from Bill's Toys and Games. It's a major headache, even if they have that one figure you're looking for.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2005, 11:44 AM »
BigBadToyStore is okay but oversea shipping costs are too expensive

in europ i use r2dtoys (never failed me while  many collectors are disappointed with their service) and toypalace

hairyfairy was cool back then you could armybuild for cheap with their great deals !
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 10:48 AM »
I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to New Force Comics!  I received a case of figures that was meticulously packed by double boxing it with packing peanuts between the two boxes.  8)

As well, their prices are excellent ($71.99US/case) and shipping to Canada was very reasonable, allowing me to pay less than retail up here!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I think hands down Newforce comics is the best online store to deal with.  They not only take care of the inventory like Jesse said, but they also have awesome communication with their customers and are very quick to answer questions!

If you're ordering figures by the case, they are the best!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 02:51 PM »
I just ordered a Case from New Force.  Seemed like a strange checkout process.  As soon as I clicked on add case to my cart it switched to being sold out.  Is there a chance I got the last presell case for this particular assortment or is that common?  Do they bill just when they ship?  Do they ever not get cases that they've presold?  So many questions :)  Thanks!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 02:58 PM »
As soon as I clicked on add case to my cart it switched to being sold out.  Is there a chance I got the last presell case for this particular assortment or is that common? 

I've never had that happen to me, so it sounds to me like you got the last one.  :)

Do they bill just when they ship? 

Yes.  Then the cases come in you get charged, then Rick preps the case and ships it.

Do they ever not get cases that they've presold?  So many questions :)  Thanks!

Yes, occasionally they get screwed by Hasbro.  This happens to all the e-tailers occasionally, but more-so to the smaller guys.  Hasbro will fill the orders for Wal-Mart/Target/TRU first and occasionally there isn't enough for the little guys.   :-\

For example, I think I read that they only got enough of the Geonosis wave cases to fill 60% of the orders so far.  You are much safer ordering as early as possible when things get posted...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Thanks Jeff, If I did get the last case of this assortment, sounds like I should necessarily count on it arriving :)  Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Thanks Jeff, If I did get the last case of this assortment, sounds like I should necessarily count on it arriving :)  Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Yeah, it's always a crap shoot.  On the Hoth wave, New Force got 100% of what they ordered, so they even had a few extras up on the site.  They always order a few more than they pre-sell in order to make sure they can fill all the pre-orders, it's only the time that Hasbro screws them that the customer gets screwed as well...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender