Author Topic: Other Lines That Have Tempted...  (Read 15308 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Other Lines That Have Tempted...
« on: March 12, 2004, 11:58 AM »
Although like the majority of the members here, I am primarily, first and foremost a Star Wars collector...I can honestly say that several lines have tempted me over the past months.  And also, what's funny to me, if it wasn't for the fact that I got into collecting Star Wars again I wouldn't even know about most of these lines ;).  Many come and go, and I end up being glad I didn't get into them too far (money, space, interest)...but a few continue to be tempting to pick up.  I was wondering which other lines have tempted you and why...and why you caved in and bought or gave up and moved on.

Personally, I have been back and forth on a number of lines (as many of you can probably see from my posts), but it pretty much just comes back to Star Wars only.  I think a lot of other lines are really great, and if I had unlimited funds and space, I'd be in for more.  However, the only line (so far) that I have ended up picking up with any regularity is Marvel Legends.  Here's a breakdown of any others that have been/or are tempting:

Marvel Legends: Maybe giving up....Only collect the Spidey/X-Men figures, and not sure if I will continue or not.  I have Beast, Colossus, Gambit, Wolvie, Magneto, as well as a Spidey 2 Spiderman.  I thought I would give up on this line, but I know once I see the likes of Juggernaut, Brown Wolvie, Iceman, etc. I might rethink it.

MOTU: Gave up on this...started waaay too late, and Mattel hasn't done a very good job of running the line anyways.  Only ended up with a He-Man and a Sy-Klone out of it, but would still like to get a Roboto if I ever see one for a decent price.  Otherwise, I'm glad that I ended up not buying into it too heavily.

Batman and/or Justice League:  Gave up... Just because I've always been a Batman fan, I was interested.  Again, run poorly by Mattel it seems, too many variants for my tastes, and I ended up with just a Zipline Batman.  Considering the new animated line when it comes out, have to see what it will offer.  Justice League I am just too far behind on, and think that I would regret it if I ended up buying them all off of ebay or something.

Lord of the Rings: Still interested....these movies are so great, and is really second to only the Original Star Wars with me.  I only have two figures thus far, and would be really far behind, but Toy Biz likes them some re-releases, so I guess I can pretty much pick up at any time.  I wouldn't want anywhere near a complete set, just a handful of my favorites, probably 10 figures or so at most.

Muppets: Still interested...always have been to some extent.  This is another line I probably won't end up getting, because I'm just way far behind.  Plus, I wouldn't want all of them anyways...just ones from the actual "Muppet Show" for the most part.  That was one of my favorite shows as a kid, so I guess nostalgia has a lot to do with it.  Plus, Palisades seems to do a great job with this line.  I'm getting an Indy Kermit for sure (if there are any left), and after that we'll see.  They really put out some amazing product in this line though it seems.

A lot of other lines are pretty cool too, like the Kubrick/Minimate side of things.  Those are still tempting (particularly Star Wars and LOTR), but I don't know if I will end up going for it or not.  The LOTR ones will be hard to pass up once they show up in the stores, but I know if I get them, I will want to pick up the Star Wars Kubricks as well...which would be both difficult and expensive for me.  The main reason I stay away from most of these is the money aspect, although some I end up glad I didn't buy into.  Plus, I don't have a completist attitude with any of the other lines, just what I like.  For now, its just Star Wars first and foremost...and always will be really...but I think I'll be checking out the LOTR stock on this weekend's shopping trip as well....and I still look through the Muppet listings on ebay from time to time (Rowlf was my favorite, but that Tuxedo one is too expensive...and I also like Fozzie).  Again, that Indy Kermit is too cool though :).  Sorry for the long post, down time at work...but I look forward to seeing any of your opinions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:23 PM by Brian »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Other Lines That Have Tempted...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 12:30 PM »
The only one that tempted me and actually won was Marvel Legends / Classics.  

I thought about the following at one time or another:
-Simpsons
-LOTR
-MOTU
-Muppets (the wife has Statler and Waldorf and I plan on getting Sweetums and Indy Kermit and that's it, I swear)

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Simpsons...add that to my list as well.  Just interested in the line because I like the show so much, always wanted to pick up a Homer and a Ralph...but I know that would lead to more.  So far behind now though, used to peruse the ebay auctions once in awhile for those figures though.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 12:40 PM »
Muppets definitely...its been a battle, I have a Reporter Kermit (to go with the upcoming Sesame Figures) and I'll get an Indy Kermit but that's all.  But man, these figures are soooo nice and I was a Muppet fan as a kid.  My wife would literally lynch me though

I almost got sucked in to Armies of Middle Earth, I even bought some (of which I have since sold) and I'm glad I didn't open those suckers up.  Great line, great playsets, no room

I also bought the Justice LEague figs, got rid of them too, cool and all, just not my thing.  I've dabbled here and there in: Mattel Batman, King of the Hill, X-Files and Sportspicks

I'm decidedly cutting back on LOTR, Legends and I guess MOTU this year.  I'll pay a bunch for Clawful, Stinkor, Webstor and Jitsu if they get made.  LOTR only brand spanking new figs, no old variants of stuff I have, will buy new costumes though (Wedding Arwen etc)  Legends...Avengers mainly, some other main characters, no 90's X Crap though

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 01:00 PM »
I've mentioned it several times elsewhere in the past, but the only other line that's really tempted me is the Muppets line.  That's probably largely due to the nostalgia factor again, since I grew up watching them for most of that show's run.

Plus, the line just seems great.  Palisades has really gone all out with the character choices, quality (sculpts, paint jobs), and especially those incredible playsets, which set the benchmark for all toy lines IMO.  Then there's the usual challenging (if not frustrating) exlcusives and such...

Just a super line.  If I had a TON of money, and a giant house with plenty of room to display stuff, I'd probably bite.  'Til then though, I'm sticking strictly with Star Wars!   8)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 01:40 PM »
I thought about collecting Simpsons, but I was way late in the game. Glad I didn't. in retrospect.

I also tried Armies of Middle Earth, but bad paint jobs and high prices for what you get pushed me out of it.

And, I collected MOTU until its bitter end, and still don't have all the figures and cannot bring myself to spend the money it takes to get them. Just sick of it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 02:14 PM »
Oh my :o

Star Wars, first and foremost and the one I consistently collect.  

Batman/Justice League - as mentioned in the other thread, I'm bailing.  Poor assortments, poor character selection, IMO and limited future, it seems.  For JL, I only wanted the female characters for my daughter.  Both Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl were opened immediately and reside in a basket with tons of other toys, haphazardly thrown in.  

Muppets - very cool line, but selection up here (ooh, a shocker) has been poor.  I've snagged several for my wife as this would be her line.  She has Tuxedo Kermit, Tour Animal, Waldorf and Statler, Rizzo.  I'm trying to get her a Beaker and a Swedish chef, but the exclusives make it a little harder.  I'm not so tempted but the line itself is excellent.

McFarlane everything - Sportspicks, Movie Maniacs, etc.  Having been sucked in big for the SP stuff, I'm now digging my way back out of the line.  I've scaled back to figures I want and like.  I love the hockey stuff, notably the goalies and I cannot thank them enough for making a Winnipeg Jets player.  As far as the rest of the stuff goes, if I like it, I get it.  But I am enjoying an unprecedented will power in terms of selectivity.  No completeist disease here.  

Marvel Minimates - I like minimates, think they are really cool.  But again our distribution sucked, perpetually getting the same waves over and over, never any chase present.  By contrast I walk into a couple of stores in Grand Forks and find multiple chase minimates ::)  I love Marvel characters and these are so cool.  Kubricks outside of star wars would also fall into this category.  Small, cool but too many and too hard for me to obtain.  

Marvel Legends - I'm in and intend to stay in.  I've been selective from the get go, so I intend to stay the same way.  I buy what I like, my only disease being a lust for chase figures :(

LOTR - AOME/Trilogy etc.  I love these things, the figures are well done and decent value.  Early on they were expensive, but dropping nearly 50% in price while dramatically improving selection with the Trilogy figures has proven extraordinarily tempting.  Only space issue are holding me back.  I originally got into the line then quickly jumped out.  AOME was and is too expensive for what their is.  I love the scale, but $5 for a figure 1/2" tall?  Nuh, I don't think so.  Still tempted by trilogy figures daily.  

Buffy - managed to stave off the first crack at the line in spite of being a huge fan of the series.  Now that the Willow figures are out in multiples (I like the series and really like Allyson Hanigan) and well done, I am again tempted.  I went out at lunch to get  a close up look at these  but no joy at the comic store.  Not in yet.  A Faith figure being announced would probably push me over the edge.  The 12" series does not interest me though.  

Anything Star Wars tempts me.  Those mini-heads are a huge temptation I'd rather not give in to.  I don't think there's much I've managed to avoid.  On the bright side, for considerable portions of the lines, I am no longer like JediMac.  Holes don't bother me.  Much.  Yeah.  Only that damn Stormtrooper Riddell helmet is really irritating me. >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline buffet1fan

• Youngling
  • son of a !!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 04:43 PM »
I have a big problem . I am a toy addict, I jump at almost toy every line that has come out I the last four years. My wife is one too so there is no one to talk us out of it. Foremost we are collectors of any thing star wars 3 ¾ in, 12 in, kubricks, bendums, playskool, Legos, fast-food and even the little ewoks from the Kenner preschool series. The only current star wars thing we’re not collecting is the unleashed set not sure why though.

Simpson’s: We had made it through eight series of these figures and play sets. We ended up selling them, have some series seven and eight and a couple of play sets if anyone need them.

MOTU: We collect them until the became really hard to find and the sold them also.

Harry potter: Not the best figures on the planet, But we enjoyed the movie and picked up some figures. Sold them also except for Ron. Everybody loves Ron.

LOTH: We loved the movies and got the burger king set, but never the regular figures. Haven’t figured that one out yet ether.

MUPPETS: Have them all except the white tux rolf, and WW DR. Teeth. Can’t see selling these in the future. Their great!!

McFarland sports picks: Just lindros

Kubrick: Get almost everything that comes out!!!

MINIMATES: The X-men set and Mr. T

Probably more I Just can't remember right now. I need to start collecting space and money

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 09:56 PM »
I stay with starwars
But just recently i started on the Clerks inaction figures
They just look so cool sitting on the computer.
I also get stikfas when i have some spare dollars i think i've got about 12 of them now , i started on the new MOTU but haven't seen much here in OZ after the first series
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2004, 02:05 PM »
Jurassic Park

McFarlanes Alien lines.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2004, 01:27 PM »
I've been really tempted by the Unleashed line, they look soooo great but I can't display them all so I've passed for the most part.  Same goes for the 12" and vehicles.  

As far as other toys, the Simpsons always caught my eyes but I didn't start when they started the line.  I'm thinking about some Ninja Turtles though
Bang Bang

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2004, 02:41 PM »
LOTR continues to tempt.  Badly.  

I keep trying to think that only one version of the Fellowship, a set of Wraiths, one each of the womenfolk plus a single Bilbo and Gollum wouldn't be all that bad, would it?  Stay away from multiple versions, Orcs, etc. and it could be manageable, couldn't it?  

I already have a Gimli, two versions of Gandalf, the women and I think a Strider I haven't been able to unload.  What's that leave?  

Legolas (I think probably Helm's Deep)
Boromir (current cheap card would be fine)
Frodo (?)
Merry (?)
Pippin (?)
Sam (?)
Arwen's pop, name eludes me.  

Three pack of Wraiths.
Wraith with horse
a few others.
Sauron

Bilbo + Gollum.  

15 figures and I could be done.  Right?  Right?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2004, 10:29 PM »
Right?  Right?

You are oh so wrong.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 05:41 PM »
I'm sure I missed the MOTU thread somewhere so I chose this one......

I really like the Star Wars Gentle Giant Vintage Jumbo figs. I have a handful. I've been tempted on the MOTU version, but wouldn't pay what they go for.

That being said I found a Beastman today that had the seal on the bottom of the bubble come undone enough that his whip went missing so the hobby shop was asking $29.99. It was taped back up in a way that from the front I'd have never known. They had a sealed one for $125.00.

The $24.99 one is now mine.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 07:30 PM »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:48 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within