Author Topic: AFA  (Read 1905 times)

Offline plutosmom

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
AFA
« on: March 13, 2004, 11:24 AM »
Hello Everybody,

Wanted to ask if anyone here has had their vintage action figures graded by the AFA and if this is a worthwhile investment.

We do have a few of the older cards that probably could qualify, but they are not mint. They are authenthic, but worn with age some what.

I guessing if I have any serious doubts at all , and question a carded figure, don't submit it?  A couple of them, the bubble is not completely factory sealed, you can see where it was reglued :-X
yes- an ebay purchase   :P

Also, getting off track for a moment- have the ebay prices for vintage been ridicilous lately, or is it just me?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated  :)
plutosmom

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: AFA
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 02:19 PM »
Welcome to JD,

Let me first start by saying that I am no authority on AFA grading.  By the sound of it you answered your one question on the condition of some of the figures that you have.

Depending on where you live, I recommend maybe going to a show that has AFA present like Comic Con.  Or calling them to get an idea beforehand.  If their are indicators the grade will come up low, you might want to reconsider paying money to have it graded.

Personally, it would be difficult for me to send off one of my prized collectibles in the mail.  Since I have seen what has happened to some packages recently delivered to me.  

-Fish-

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 05:40 PM »
Personally, it would be difficult for me to send off one of my prized collectibles in the mail.  Since I have seen what has happened to some packages recently delivered to me.  

that's one of my major concerns, and that's the main reason why i don't send any of my items in to get graded. i have tons and tons of comics that i also want to send in to get graded, silver age, golden age, modern... but i'm afraid of sending them in the mail.

but, getting back to afa, how do i know that i'm even going to receive the same figure back in the mail that i send in? how do i know that when i send in my esb yoda i'm getting back the same esb yoda? that's another of the reasons why i hesitate to send in anything for grading.

plus, the only real reason to get items graded is for selling purposes, right? i mean, the cases are nice, but i think that i personally would only get items graded if i was planning on selling them soon. but that's just my opinion.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 10:31 PM »
afa is extremely reputable, you shouldnt have to worry about the old switcharoo. if your cards arent close to perfect it is probably not worth sending. the amount they charge you can get 1 or 2 more decent rotj figures. if you want to sell them, then it may be worth it
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis