Author Topic: Time to Wake Up Hasbro!!!  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Time to Wake Up Hasbro!!!
« on: January 28, 2003, 12:03 PM »
http://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE_012703.htm

MichaelMWC's site held a Fan Choice type of poll in which readers voted on best and worst of 2002 Toy Lines...Hasbro and Star Wars was well represented in Worst of Catagory...

Bad Articulation, Bad Sculpting, Bad Packaging...

I wonder why this is?  What makes people so ticked off, well lets look at the winners...the Muppets, ToyBiz (LOTR and Marvel Legends) MOTU and The Simpsons all had many of the Best of Votes.  All of these have superior sculpting and character likeness and most have uber articulation...

They also cost more, which then begs the question is the decrease in price point a result of this. Would you pay $1-$2 more to get figures like Ephant Mon in every figure?  Is the 3 3/4" scale not able to be better articulated and have a better likeness than the larger 5" and 6" figures?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re:Time to Wake Up Hasbro!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 02:50 PM »
I agree, Hasbro deserves this terrible rank- they are the worst! They are a disgrace to collecting these days. I hate every single action feature they throw at us. I hate the one hundred Anakins, Jangos, etc. The packaging does not bother me, but I believe they need to find ways to better protect their products for shipping. I open a case and should pull out minty fresh figures, but instead get creases, rips, dents. Distribution is terrible. Last figure I found at a retail store was clonetrooper pilot. Hasbro is a horrible!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2003, 03:44 PM by Chris Berry »

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 03:34 PM »
I agree with Chris on some points expecially the shipping of these figs. It is getting very hard to find true mint figs. They all seem to have a couple of defects. The bubbles seem to be getting to large and in turn to thin thus resulting in damage. Also the way they are adhearing the bubbles to the cards are causing a large amount of sealing creases.

Also there are some figs i just can't seem to find. I look all over my town which includes 2 Walmarts,2 KB toys, 4 Kmarts, 3 Shopkos,2 Targets,1 TRU plus a few smaller local stores and the figs are just not there. I am not missing them the were never shipped here. Atleast not yet. The Targets just received the Lott grouping with Walmarts here not stocking anything other than basic figs. No holiday sets no Trash sets not Tie bombers. The distrabution seems odd. Is that Hasbros fault or the local retailers??

The sculpts are getting better as far as likeness goes but the plastic is junk. Some of these figs would be pretty good if they did not have an action feature that ruined them. There is potential there they just need to acheive it.  
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline SikSyko

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 06:37 PM »
Here in Canada we are just getting the Palpatine wave now most cases don't have all the figures from the wave.

It is getting so bad I am thinking of giving up on collection SW stuff and selling my collection.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Time to Wake Up Hasbro!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 06:33 PM »
Yeah, this is starting to get really old now.  I was sure we'd start seeing the removal of the dreaded action features by now, but with the recent change to the upcoming Boba Fett figure, this is obviously not yet the case.  I was praying that this year, a non-movie year, would equate to a return to a POTJ-like line, more geared towards the "collectors" and/or adults, rather than the eight year old kids.  No action features, more articulation, better sculpting, more background/obscure characters, more Original Trilogy characters, etc.....

I can tolerate the less than exciting packaging, if it means transferring some of Hasbro's resources into the actual figure or figure cost instead.  Don't know if either of those two scenarios are actually happening though.  I've always wanted a return to the Vintage style cardbacks though (as well as card fronts), which kept a beautiful running checklist, with a visual picture of every figure released in the line to date.  Unfortunately, that'll never happen, since Hasbro wants to use the cardbacks to show off all of their "awesome" action features instead.

As far as overall cost goes though, I'd be thrilled to pump out another dollar or two for each figure if it meant getting a BETTER product, with better sculpting, paint detail and application, articulation, neutral poses, movie accurate (no action features), less rehashes, stronger plastic, etc.  Some nice, authentic O.T. playsets are also badly needed (Cantina, Death Star, Jabba's Palace).

I also don't buy into the idea that the 4" line is just too small to properly articulate or sculpt figures in.  Hasbro has proven that they can do it with some figures like 300th Fett (despite stance), Ephant Mon, Palpatine, and Bespin Luke (though his wash paint job sucked).

We recently learned that Hasbro apparently does pay attention to the online SW forums, when they announced the Fan Choice winner, and said they've "heard a lot of rumblings" about potential voting fraud.  Well, the only place they could've found that out about our rumblings is by reading through the various site's forums.  So if they're indeed perusing the forums, why oh why can't the see the rest of our thoughts in here, and notice the incredible hatred that we all have for the action features, and some of our other gripes as well...???

I realize that there's an inherent production time for each figure, and that some figures may have already been in the manufacturing process long ago, when our action feature gripes first started up with the release of the new Saga line, and therefore nothing could be done for them at that point.  But, I think that we've passed that point now with some of the future waves that we're starting to get sneak peeks of now.  The action feature gripes should've been heard loud and clear by the time this new Fett went into production, which proves to me that they're not going away yet...  Hopefully soon though.

But with the upcoming release of the Clone Wars line, and rumored accompanying animated series on one of the kids cable channels, that just might mean that Hasbro will still be shooting for the kids market for quite a while to come.  I pray that I'm wrong about that though...

Is it too late for Lucas to grant the figure license to another company, so we could just start all over again from scratch...???   :-\

BTW, I collect only Star Wars, but when I pass some of those other figure lines in the toy aisles, I often find myself stopping to stare and marvel at what they have to offer, and scratching my head wondering how Hasbro can be so far behind the curve.  I love those Muppet figures and some of their Playsets are amazing!  After 25 years of collecting (with a few years off in the late 80's), is it too late for me to switch allegiances to something else?

Please wake up Hasbro.  This (Saga) nightmare has gone on long enough...   :'(
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 06:55 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 03:21 PM »
It may be too late now for the Star Wars line... Hasbro has renewed their license. Read the news for details.

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 04:32 PM »
I don't have too many complaints.   I, too, am sick to death of the action features.   I think the suck and make the look of the figure considerably worse.   I can't stand all the rehashes, when there are plenty of good characters, droids, ectc, that have never seen the light of plastic(?) [okay, light of day].  

I am so thankful, that I am not a completist, especially after reading today's posting on Hasbro.com about the re-release of the POTF Han & Leia.   Personally, I could care less about the card back or front, even though I do love the old vintage cardbacks with the checklist and picture of the figures.   I was hoping for a return to the POTJ line of thinking now that we are no longer in a movie year.   That was the highlight for Star Wars figure lines, in my opinion.

If they would just cut out the action features and put out some characters that we haven't seen multiple times, I'd be much happier.   For the first time since I started collecting in the POTF2 line, I haven't been able to find every figure I wanted, eventually.   I have never found the Cantina Sets or the Trash compactor sets.   I'm still waiting to see the first of the 2003 figures, but know I will eventually find them.  I also agree with JediMAC and would like to see some movie accurate playsets for the OT.  Even small, connecting sets would be nice.