Author Topic: If You Could Only Choose One Other Toy Line....  (Read 8577 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: If You Could Only Choose One Other Toy Line....
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 02:48 PM »
It would be LOTR, but Buffy/Angel would be a strong second place finisher.  

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 06:19 PM »
Lemme see…. probably Dragon dolls, there’s a large number to collect so it doesn’t get boring and they cross-over with ease into the modeling/ kitbashing hobby which is satisfying from a creative point and interesting to research. Popy and chogokins come in a very close second because they’re so shiny, gadgetry and heavy.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 08:43 PM »
Even though I can safely say I'd have as many complaints about this line as I do Star Wars, I think I'd likely get into G.I. Joe collecting.

I'd of course be heavy into their customizing as well...

LOTR is a close second in getting my vote though, only because they have a diverse line already and have seemingly committed to the long haul.

G.I. Joe I would conosider a blanket "military" line I'd collect though, so I'd buy up BBI and 21st Cent. Figures (like I do now) to mix in.  :)  Kinda cheap cop-out to get 2 choices in 1, I know.

Nonetheless, I'm sure I'd have a pretty extensive Joe collection (vintage ARAH 82-89 at the latest) and customs going right about now.  Joe was THE Toy Line when I was a kid...  Not Star Wars.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004, 11:24 AM »
I'd probably buy DC Direct and Marvel Legends.  They are too big and the Unleashed and LOTR stuff I have is big enough!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 3, 2004, 10:03 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else has changed their mind, picked up a different line, etc.?  Recently, I have had to reconsider my collecting (outside of Star Wars), and I'm trying to narrow it down to one other, smaller (than SW) line...because of a variety of reasons (funds, space, stuff to chase down, etc.).  Star Wars is tough enough sometimes to keep up with (financially and with the amount of stuff out there), and I haven't been able to even collect all the Star Wars based lines I'm interested in, just because it gets expensive or they are tough to find.  Anyways, I've been trying to think about what I'm going to cut back (or out) on...and what will be my "secondary" collection outside of Star Wars.

I really enjoy the Lord of the Rings figures, and as I've said before, I could be happy if I picked up four more figures.  I just wanted a "base" group, and I could be happy with that.  To me, since it is small in scope (9 figures total) and "finite" since I'd be done in a month or so if I found everything I needed, I don't necessarily consider that something I am "collecting" anymore, since I'd be done (although the Mrs. disagrees).  The line outside of Star Wars that I enjoy the most would be Spidey/Marvel.  I was hoping to broaden my Marvel Legends collection, but actually might have to end up giving it up.  I think I will focus on Spider-Man (Spidey Classics) if I can't do the entire Marvel universe, since it will be more limited with only 1 "new" bad guy each wave usually...and plus, Spidey is my favorite character, so that would be the way I go.

Anyways, I guess I'm leaning towards collecting Spider-Man stuff secondary to Star Wars, and perhaps finishing out what I want from the Lord of the Rings line.  I really enjoy some other lines (Marvel Legends especially, minimates), and there are some that have been tempting at one time or another (MOTU, Muppets, GI Joe)...but I think at this point, that is the way I would go.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2004, 04:34 PM »
After I get the Sinister 6 set and Apocalypse from ML, I might let those lines go. I have most of the characters I'm interested in, so that won't be missed.

You now TB has run out of ideas if they're doing a 2nd Ghost Rider.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #21 on: August 3, 2004, 07:50 PM »
There's a lot of cherry picking with ML.  There's so few charcters I care about - Mary Jane, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat - that are left to do.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 3, 2004, 10:13 PM »
There's a lot of cherry picking with ML.  There's so few charcters I care about - Mary Jane, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat - that are left to do.

Aaaah, just take a look at some old comics, circa 1990.  They not be out of ideas, legends maybe, but not ideas.  I was flipping through all of the marvel comic cards I have and there is an obscene amount of characters that I don't remember anymore.  I know I knew them then, but no longer.  

Saw in the Toyfare today that there is a head variant for the Ghost Rider figure ::)

I just want my White Queen :P

To answer Brian's question though, ML would be the other line now.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2004, 11:36 PM »
I don't mean their out of ideas, just that there's few left that hold my personal interest.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 4, 2004, 01:09 AM »
Quite so, due apologies for misrepresenting your statement good sir.  I just wonder how long before they delve into that crap.  Really, we have how many ironman/wolverine's already?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2004, 11:13 AM »
Along the same lines of this topic....."other collectibles" is something I often have troubles with.  As I've said before, Star Wars is always first and foremost with me (and more than enough trouble/money on its own), but I do find myself being tempted by other lines from time to time.  Do you ever find yourself interested in lines you never thought you would be, or maybe buying into lines and later realizing you didn't want/need them, and selling them or packing them away?  It seems tough for me to stay out of these other lines, but I know that I really should (plus, it would make the Mrs. happier too).  I've always thought it my mind I would be ok collecting Star Wars, with maybe one other "smaller" (in number of things bought) line.  But, it has been tough.

I was momentarily interested in lines such as Muppets and MOTU, but in the end was glad I didn't get into them.  Both were great lines, but one is gone (MOTU), and one seems to be slowly falling by the wayside (Muppets).  I do have 1 Muppet figure (Indy Kermit), and 3 MOTU (He-Man, Roboto, Sy-Klone), and I can be happy with that.  If MOTU was still going at retail, it might be a little more tempting.  These are lines I am at peace that I didn't get into.

A few others (Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, Marvel Legends, Batman) are a little bit tougher for me.  I can realistically say that once I find the newer SP Aragorn, SP Frodo, and a version of Sam, I can be happy with my meager LOTR collection.  Although the line is great, I just don't have the space to collect that many figures in that scale.  I still really like the Marvel Legends line, but again it comes down to a money and space issue.  Also, it is tough for me to find the cut off point with ML, everything looks great, but I find myself tempted to buy figures I barely even knew about when I was a kid, and nostalgia is much of the reason I started collecting in the first place.  I decided I'd limit my Marvel figures to my favorite: Spidey.  I buy the odd Spidey fig here and there now, but haven't picked anything up in quite some time.  I've also always been interested in Batman, and have a few figs here and there (JL, Mattel comic, "The Batman" animated line), so I'm basically trying to decide between Bats and Spidey, or a way to collect them both somewhat.

Anyways, long story short, I was wondering if anyone else has troubles passing up these other lines, even if you know it is probably in your best interest.  Like I said, Star Wars is more than enough to use up my collecting bucks, as well as take enough time hunting down...but I am still just interested in a few other lines.  When you pick your other line(s), do you go by what you like the best, what is easiest/cheapest to pick up, what is your "flavor of the moment", or a combination of things?  Too much good stuff out there now-a-days...and too little money, space, and time. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2004, 11:35 AM »
All the time. 

LOTR/Muppets/McFarlane stuff and more probably.  But I just buy what I like for the most part. 

LOTR is pretty much the same for me.  Two problems though: I want a full set of ringwraiths and I dislike Hobbits.  So I have too many wraiths and no hobbits.  I know that's foolish, especially with respect to the hobbits, rather central characters for the story.  But yeah, size is an issue and not just for women. 

Muppets are not so bad, other than that they don't get released up here.  Mostly these are for my wife, but she has no space in her office at work for them, so not much left to pick up.  She has a regular kermit, Gonzo, Waldorf and Statler (thanks Scott) and an adventure Kermit.  Cool figures, but I don't need them so much. 

McFarlane is forever messing with my mind.  Sportspicks is the worst, but I own every Predator figure too outside of the 12" line.  Not sure why I do either?  I like them, thought the movies were entertaining (haven't seen AvP) but I'm not sure I need these guys. 

As far as sportspicks goes, I am liquidating a big chunk of that collection right now.  The hunt and absurd price for the 3rd Jersey Patrick Roy figure killed my complete goalie collection, so why bother having a bunch of guys I don't care about?  I'll still get players I want and like, but it will end up going from nearly 100 figures down to about 20 or so.  Still love my Selanne figures though.  Dropped my Brodeur today and bent the peg though >:(  Fell right off the shelf, bounced of the filing cabinet, CPU, desk, bin, floor.  Thud.  The re-release of Vikings figures is nice for me.  I'm not so keen on being a completeist at all there, so since I have a spiffy brand new purple Pepper I'll likely sell off my series 1 version. 

Simpsons are done, but I've always been pretty controlled in that area.  I love the Homers, just waiting for Scott's package to be done with them.  Only a few figures aside from the Homers that I own - the THOH figs that came with the sets to get the Homers; Burns x3, and then a few figures that I curse Scott out for every time I look at them.   :-*

Hot Wheels are sadly tempting.  Some look like crap, but lots are really cool looking and there is a huge bout of nostalgia for me when I see them.  Plus they are so very cheap to buy.  I kept three of my vintage hot wheels but sold off the rest for a tidy sum.  Still I am well controlled here, only buying the batmobiles (sold off my vintage batmobiles as well) and the occasional car or treasure hunt when I see them. 

Marvel Legends I've always been pretty good with, though I'm questioning why I bought a brown Woverine ::)  I don't need more of these.  Chase figures irritate perpetually and still think about selling most of them.  Spiderman Legends are great, but I'm holding out for the box set to be clearanced at Amazon just like the X-men box was.  I hope I don't screw that up. 

My biggest problem is picking up stuff and then not trading it.  So very much crap in my office, notably sportspick variants no one wants but I just can't leave them on the shelf :-[

Overall, under control, except for all things star wars.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Spiderman Legends are great, but I'm holding out for the box set to be clearanced at Amazon just like the X-men box was.  I hope I don't screw that up.

I'm actually doing the same Brent, and hopefully that works out.  $45 is just a big chunk for us to spend at once, especially on something non-Star Wars.  Thanks for the reply, nice to see I'm not the only one who battles this toy demon all the time :P.  I think, outside of those last few LOTR figures, I'm going to try to limit my "other" collecting to a sprinkling of Batman and Spidey stuff.  That is, if I can sell that choice to the wifey ;).  With all the Spider/Bat variants in the lines all the time, it should be a relatively "cheap" second line, with not much to pick up all that often.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2004, 12:15 PM »
Well, if you need some Batman stuff cheap, I've got it.  Robin, Joker, Superman, Mr. Freeze (no goggles).  Cheap, cheap, cheap.   :P

Toy demon indeed.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2004, 12:19 PM »
Well, if you need some Batman stuff cheap, I've got it.  Robin, Joker, Superman, Mr. Freeze (no goggles).  Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Ah, you just had to say that, didn't you?  Hmmm...depends how cheap you are talking, I might be interested.  I'd probably have to hold off a bit, since toy spending has been out of control in September (for me, at least), but if you still want to get rid of them down the road a little bit, maybe we can talk  ;).  I know the wife is going to quite enjoy me saying "I talked to a guy today, and he said he could sell me some Batman figures cheap" :D