Author Topic: If You Could Only Choose One Other Toy Line....  (Read 8576 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
If You Could Only Choose One Other Toy Line....
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:22 AM »
I was just thinking about this this morning, since I have wanted to jump into a number of different lines over the past year...but due to money/space issues I haven't actually done it a number of times.  Not taking into consideration if you already have a "base" collection established, if you only had the money or funds to collect one thing outside of Star Wars stuff...what would it be?  I guess I'm saying, if you could start from scratch...which line would you choose if any?

Although I like figures/characters from a number of lines (Batman, MOTU), for me it would probably come from either Marvel Legends, LOTR, or the Muppets.  Right now I've been on a big Muppet kick due to nostalgia, the Indy Kermit, and recently picking up one of those "Best of the Muppet Show" DVDs.  I've always been, and always will be, a big fan of LOTR stuff...those movies are just so amazing.  I would also like to continue to collect the X-figs from Marvel Legends, which just have great product.  I guess if I could actually afford one line, and had to choose only one.....boy, its tougher than I thought.  Palisades runs things so well from what I have read, and their product is amazing.  Plus, that has the nostalgia factor.  LOTR is so cool.  And also, I really like the Marvel Legends figures.  I guess right now I'll say Muppets, although that will probably change tomorrow (it usually does with me it seems).

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: If You Could Only Choose One Other Toy Line....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:27 AM »
The best toy line besides Star Wars is:

Lord of the Rings!

So I would have to say Lord of the Rings, is my pick!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 02:16 PM by Mainland05 »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Minimates.

I've already had to narrow my field of collecting. I just can't afford the space, time, or money to keep other lines going. I've pretty much given up on LOTR, Trek, and Gundam until this "Star Wars" thing goes away. But in the meantime, I'm concentrating on two other lines: Marvel Minimates and DC Direct figures.

Of the two, Minimates is better. They're wee, they're cheaper, and they've got a ton of variety. Not to mention they've usually got more articulation than your average DC Direct figure. (And I'm a Batman fan!) Every Minimate I own fits in one shoebox. It's great.

DC Direct is hit or miss, but Marvel Minimates are pretty consistently satisfying. I love those little things.
Post sober.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:44 AM »
I could definitely see where Minimates would be fun to collect (and addictive!).  Plus, I can totally see your aspect of space....being able to keep them all in a shoebox.  That is appealing to me, and maybe a reason why at times I'm not crazy about 6" scale stuff...just not enough room.  Then again, I collect some Unleashed, so how can I talk about space issues?  ::)  That is one reason why a part of me is leaning towards collecting minimates (or kubricks) of things I like (Batman, Marvel, Muppets).  Plus, it sounds like everyone who collects this scale really enjoys their collections.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:50 AM »
Muppets, its been so dang tempting, I've actually been walking towards the cash register with stuff in hand, I bought Statler and Waldorf for Brent, I've been close to caving more than once.  I'd them, just stuff that was on the Original Muppet Show though (no need for Movies or the new Muppet Show)...Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Rolf, Scooter, Gonzo, the Band, S & W, Beaker, Honeydew, The Chef

Dang, I could almost do it now...almost, almost...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 11:54 AM »
That's how I feel about it too Scott, I'd only want the "basics" from the Original Muppet Show...I don't have any interest in the "Muppets Tonight" or the various movies.  Oh...and Adventure Kermit of course :P.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 02:14 PM »
If I only had to choose one line besides Star Wars, it would be Buffy/ Angel. There aren't a lot of figures, and there's a good amount of time between each series.

It would take up less space than LOTR and Marvel Legends, that's for sure.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 05:32 PM »
For me....Jurassic Park. They were my first, my last, my precious, my everything. Love the Dinos!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 06:53 PM »
Jurassic Park. I just love those precious dinos.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 10:36 PM »
LOTR.  If I wasn't collecting a pile of other stuff, I would go for LOTR.  

But just so much crap around here, there's no way I can justify it :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Marvel Legends / Spiderman / Xmen / Hulk Classics, the only other line I currently collect.

Huge comic book geek growing up and now and Marvel was always my favorite company.  Nuff said.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 03:54 PM »

Tell the wifey that God said you should collect LoTR. :D

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 05:14 PM »
For me it would be McFarlane Aliens/Predator.

Basically, its the only other line I collect, so I've already narrowed it down!  :P
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 10:31 AM »

Tell the wifey that God said you should collect LoTR. :D

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,  but I suspect the reply would be something to the effect of her sending me to meet and live with Him sooner.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 11:03 AM »
Looking through some of these older threads, and wondering if anyone's opinions have changed on their favorite "secondary" line?  Mine has somewhat, the Muppets craziness has calmed down a bit at least for me, although I do still think they make great product.  I've still been picking up the odd LOTR figure here and there (up to 5 total, look at me go), and I'm still in to Marvel and of course Star Wars.  Star Wars will always be first and foremost with me, particularly OT stuff, but I will admit it can be kind of tough to keep up at times.  Although I will say "the more figures the better", there are time, due to funds, time, and space...that I envy people who would collect maybe only Marvel Legends, because you'd only have 15-20 figures to look for/buy each year.  But, I'm not complaining too much, because I still love the Star Wars stuff...and I keep buying it up too :)

That being said....I think for me now, I'd lean towards collecting Marvel Legends/Spidey Classics if I could only choose one.  The figures/characters are just "fun", and hold a lot of nostalgia for me too from my younger comic book reading days.  I really enjoy Lord of the Rings as well, but right now, if it came down to it, it might be Marvel.  I currently have one shelf reserved in our office for Lord of the Rings stuff, and I can hopefully hold off on any more once that is filled with what I want.  It would definitely be between these two lines, I guess that is a credit to Toy Biz that they can have multiple, well done lines.

Another reason Marvel is appealing is that sometimes lines lose a little bit of luster if there isn't anything current around.  Examples include MOTU, which I don't care much about now that there isn't a show/line, etc. to support it.  Star Wars always stays strong in me, but I'm wondering if once I have the LOTR figures I want (and no new movies until the Hobbit gets made), if I won't be as interested in buying the figures anymore either.  Marvel is ongoing, there is always comics with these characters included (in some carnation or another), and the comic book movies coming in the next several years helps too.  Anyways...sorry this was so long....which line would you pick at this point?