Author Topic: Pittsburgh Comic Con  (Read 9077 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Pittsburgh Comic Con
« on: March 23, 2004, 11:45 PM »
Coming April 30th, May 1st, and May 2nd is the 11th Annual Pittsburgh Comic Con.

Check here:

http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com/

Anyone attending from the boards here?  Of course I'll be there since it's about 40 minutes from my house at most, but will likely only attend the Saturday show because of my time constraints on the weekends.

I'm sure most of the Pittsburgh guys are gonna be there like BobaFett14 from Scum forums and some of the Eastern half guys (Bill Cable I think is coming out for it).

The show this year coincides with the same weekend of the Pittsburgh Toy Show as well.  Mousedroid let us know at Rebelscum that this wasn't intentional but that it's worked out that way.  They're in the same building, so you can do a Con and Toy Show the same day.  Makes things convenient.

If you're gonna be in town, you'll have to let me know...  Either to run into each other or even if you're curious about things to do after the show's closed.

The show's at the Pittsburgh Expo-Mart by the way, which is in the Suburb of Monroeville (Not within the Downtown Pitt area) which is really easily accessible.  Very convenient for everyone to get to, and only a 15 or 20 minute jaunt (traffic permitting) down into the heart of the city too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Pittsburgh Comic Con
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 02:14 PM »
Not that any of you give a rat's ass but Pittsburgh Comic-Con and their International Toy & Collectibles show is this weekend!  Yay!!!!!

Unfortunately I have finals next week so my time at the con(s) is going to be limited, as is my time with my local collecting group, but I'll manage I guess.  :(

It's always a big show, lots to do, and if you're a Dawn of the Dead fan it's a must attend since the original DotD was filmed right there where the Con is!

Wooooo!

So, if anyone's attending lemme know, though it appears nobody from here is *sigh*   ;)

Oh, and Jasmine St. Clair's gonna be there...  She's been, uh, rather "used" in her time.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2004, 06:32 PM »
I was there today, well, not the con side, but the toy show side...

I picked up some good deals on some SW items, saw alot of stuff I have never seen before, and I spent more than I should have.

Alot of stuff there in a little amount of space!  This was my first ever experience at a place like that, I can't wait to go to another one!!

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 10:25 AM »
Since I just registerd, I'll give quick recap-only oh 3 months late.  ;^)

I spent most of the time at the PSWCS booth.  Met a ton of great folks, plus the usual crew.  Jesse, myself and a hanful of other SW faithfuls did the appropriate thing afterwards by heading to the local Hooters to hang out and talk SW :^)

Fun time had by all.  

By the way they added an additional show in 2005, now they'll be having 3 shows ea. year. April/July/Dec.

Stay posted!
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 01:11 AM »
Yeah, I saw our toy shows got an incrase.  Which that's cool, but the shows aren't that big to begin with so it's weird.

I'm all for going in summer though, so whatever.

I always find something...  Just never anything HUGE.  I got my so-mint-his-arms-were-stuck-in-place Blue Snaggletooth there though, so luck does strike at the place.

Usually I just end up with a box of junked vintage stuff to hack into someday or repaint as custom ships and such.  At least it saves $!

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Pittsburgh Comicon
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 09:32 PM »
http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com

Dates are April 21-23.  Not to be confused with the 2006 Pittsburgh toyshow.

Bonnie Piesse has just been confirmed.  Lots of SW related artists including a bunch of vintage Marvel artists (good, I can get some more autographd)...

Chaykin, Adam Huges, Ron Frenz, Bob MacLeod, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Connor, etc.

Probably a few more actors/actresses will be signed on soon(Feb seems to be the big signing month for this show).
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2006 Pittsburgh comicon
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 01:39 AM »
Hope there's some impy's and rebel military types.  I refuse to buy anything from Official Pix because they put stupid logos on everything, and it sorta ruins the pic for me.  I prefer getting it myself on a non-messed up photo or something. 

About the only non-military characters I'd be up for getting an auto from are Bulloch and maybe a handful of other minor characters.  Not much.  So like young Boba and Beru from the prequals kinda bums me out.  I hope many others sign on.  This was during C3 last year, that wasf unny.  I can't imagine many SW fans were ga-ga to go to it.  I was bummed they didn't adjust dates so we could go to it too another weekend.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 02:25 AM »
Yeah, shouldn;t bump into anything this year.  Actually, this happend for CII also.  I know that's when Tronzo left CII on Sat. night to go to the show, he lucked out and grabbed his $5 blue snaggletooth there.

Feburary is when most SW guests seem to get finalized deals for the show.  We'll see, should know more in a few weeks.  Usually at least 3 or more SW persoanlities there.

I have a bunch of the Dark Horse and Marvel comics signed.  Once we get closer and the guest list is more "finalized"  I'm going to take a few days and dig through all my comics and see what ones I still need signed.  I have most all the artists signed, but there may be more I can get.  I'd like to take some more photos of the artists signing this time around as well.

Eventually I'd like to have some sort of shelved or bookshelf display for all my autographed books and comics, where I can put my 3x5 photos of the artists signing each in front of the corresponding item/items.  Might be kinda neat.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 05:19 AM »
I'm really hoping for Impy Officers, Rebel Officers/Pilots...  Stuff like that.  I'd dig some random secondary characters too though, I have to admit.  If Morrison showed I'd dig a Jango autograph, or like I said a bulloch/Boba auto would be cool.

I just don't get too much into the random people then though.  I just don't have wall space for it.  No Jabba's Dancers auto's for me, haha. :)

I would love main characters but I'm ok not getting those. 

About the only auto I really want that I know would be hard to get is a Tarkin/Cushing autograph.  Just because he's my all-time favorite character of the films, and also I loved Cushing in his other works too, so I'd love his autograph on a good Tarkin photo.  :(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 01:14 AM »

About the only auto I really want that I know would be hard to get is a Tarkin/Cushing autograph.

That would be a great autograph to have.  I'm not usually that interested in autographs, but he had such a strong presence in the movie -- I'd be quite honoured to meet the man (obviously, if he was still around, RIP).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:15 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 07:17 PM »
In addition to Bonnie Piesse, Daniel Logan and Ray Park have been added recently.  Also, keep in mind it's possible for changes to occur for various reasons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 07:53 PM »
I may actually try for Park's autograph actually.  A Maul auto would be sorta cool.  I have Vader so his would look nice alongside it...

But then I'm gonna want Lee's and McDiarmid's, haha, and I'm sure neither signs much.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 10:11 PM »
I was able to get Ray Park's autograph at C3, and I'd actually do it again if I could.  The guy is so down to earth and friendly.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 12:40 PM »
I am going to try to make it up to Pitt.  I have to agree on what Jesse said about Ray Park.  I've gotten his autograph and photo with him on two different occasions and met him in a lounge once.  The guy is as nice as they come IMHO.
Beth

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 11:50 PM »
Bear in mind Jades, that the show isn't very Star Wars-centric.  At least not in my experience in the past.  The show's cool but I'm usually done seeing anything Star Wars I wanted to within an hour.  I'm going for Park's autograph this year I think, skipping the others unless someone good is signed on I don't have already, but beyond that I've seen little in the line of toys and things at the show, it's a very much comic focused show.

Sometimes they have some Dawn of the Dead Hooplah going on too because it's where the mall is that the original was filmed at too, but Star Wars always is kind of a sidecar with it.  I wish it became one of the "big" shows because it's such a nice area, convenient, and really could be big like SDCC as a top East Coast show actually.